PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Jet documentation.

DaveInOz
28th May 2012, 11:38 AM
Morning all,

I've just picked up a 1992 Jet lathe because:
1/ I've long wanted to try turning, and
2/ I couldn't say no to the price.

A mate up the road will fix me up with the how to of actual turning so I'm set.

Except ... I don't know anything about lathes in general or this lathe specificly, so I want to know if anyone has a manual for a lathe similar to this one.
It is a Jet made in 1992, there is no model designation, it has variable speed marked "Slow, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Fast", you can swivel the motor (to turn outboard I think it is called), the thread on the motor is 1/10.

hughie
28th May 2012, 06:32 PM
This model is a generic that has many different labels chucked on it depending whose selling. Toolmac, MC1100 OR 900 etc. its far from complicated the variable speed is via a reeves drive, simple and effective.
Seeing you got it second hand somebody has no doubt attended to the associated problems of a bit of fettling etc.:2tsup: this is good.

The design is good :2tsup:but some of the machining can be a bit casual on tolerances. If you do a search under MC1100 or MC900 it should turn up something as there has been many posts about them.

If you go in for some biggest chunks you will find the leg flex way too much and it will waltz around some :U.

dr4g0nfly
28th May 2012, 10:42 PM
If it's a generic MC900 you can find a copy of the User handbook here (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awvsl900-woodturning-lathe-prod780608/), look under downloads.

If it's one of the others, go up a level and follow down the correct lathe.

DaveInOz
29th May 2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks Gents.