PDA

View Full Version : new motor

morrisman
28th May 2012, 06:35 PM
Hi

This is the new motor from EBAY for the HENDEY lathe .

I gave it a test run , the VFD is quite happy with it . It spins up to 1440 at 50 hz .

Without any load its only drawing .5 amps , according to the VFD readout .

The silver thing on the end is a flywheel . It's a very smooth , well balanced motor and the rotor turns over with the slightest push and keeps on turning with the flywheel effect .

Only 3 wires can be seen... not sure what its in Delta or Star ?

A bit of damage in transit,, its been dropped and the die cast mounts are cracked . Luckily they are removeable from the main casing and are fixable .

jhovel
28th May 2012, 08:43 PM
Almost certainly 415V star wired..... WHat does the label say?
To run on 240V VFD 3-phase, you will need to open it and find and separate the centre point and bring out the 3 new leads, then confirgure it in Delta mode.

The flywheel is a nice touch. Can you leave it on? It might just give you an extra level of smoothness in finish.

Cheers,
Joe

morrisman
28th May 2012, 09:36 PM
Almost certainly 415V star wired..... WHat does the label say?
To run on 240V VFD 3-phase, you will need to open it and find and separate the centre point and bring out the 3 new leads, then confirgure it in Delta mode.

The flywheel is a nice touch. Can you leave it on? It might just give you an extra level of smoothness in finish.

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe

The data label says 220 V 8 Amps 60 Hz .. doesn't say what mode it is

Its a Hyundai brand, same as the car .

Unfortunately the wires go into a cover thats behind the flywheel , not easy to get at

Dave J
28th May 2012, 09:43 PM
Good to see it turned up, but sorry to hear it was damaged.
I thought you would have made sure it was a star delta motor before buying it.

Dave

Greg Q
28th May 2012, 10:15 PM
Well if the data plate says 220v he doesn't need to do anything but connect the VFD and install it. I agree that the flywheel could be a neat addition, although it adds inertia that the VFD will have to overcome if you want to use the very quick stopping feature.

Greg

Stustoys
28th May 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm a little worried. Just how much room is there between the flywheel and the fan cover?(though why wires would be going under the fan cover I dont know either?)
How many Hp is it?

Stuart

jhovel
29th May 2012, 12:57 AM
Come on, take some detail photos of the labels and the connector box and the wires going in under the fan cover???? ? Something is odd here, as Stuart observed....
If it is labelled 220V, you are in luck. Just connect it....
Joe

Acco
29th May 2012, 04:01 AM
the rotor turns over with the slightest push

Can you explain this when you say "push"?

3 wires, 220 and push sounds like it's missing a capacitor ???

Greg Q
29th May 2012, 07:11 AM
I think he means when spun by hand, unpowered. Three phase motors don't have capacitors.

GQ

eskimo
29th May 2012, 08:43 AM
Morrisman

what size are the mounts...I removed a pair from a stuffed motor last evening.... as I thought...."They may come in handy.........................one day"

morrisman
29th May 2012, 11:35 AM
A few pics

yes , when I wrote push the flywheel, I give it a slight push and it free wheels around for quite a while, with little resistance .

The broken feet , I will probably make up a new mount . Thanks for the offer .

Stuart, I think the wires go to a terminal block, under that cover

I'm wondering why it draws so little current while running, but I guess thats becuase its not under any load at all at the moment .

Mike

eskimo
29th May 2012, 11:51 AM
I think the cable is just tucked in there so it does not dangle????

The left hand side is the cover for the fan and cable is just tucked in there...???

and looks like the earth wire has been chopped off???

eskimo
29th May 2012, 12:04 PM
here's a pic if you change your mind

morrisman
29th May 2012, 01:17 PM
OK Eskimo

I measured the centre to centre of the mount holes .. approx. 83mm on this motor here .

Because of the parallelax error, it's hard to tell, but I think your mount holes are wider , about 87 mm .

I think I can modify your mounts to fit

I will PM you a message

Mike

eskimo
29th May 2012, 03:11 PM
should have said they were 78mm (seventy eight) C-C

morrisman
29th May 2012, 06:18 PM
The feet appear to a different type to yours

I will fabricate some new feet out of mild steel

Thanks anyway

Mike