PDA

View Full Version : Burn or Turn

jimbur
29th May 2012, 12:00 PM
It's that time of the year again and we've just had the first load of firewood delivered. Every log I split is a problem. Should I put it on one side or not? Last year was the worst when a good half of one load ended up in the shed (old bridge timber).
It really hurts putting yellow box and ironbark on the fire. Burns beautifully though.:D
Cheers,
Jim

Scott
29th May 2012, 12:47 PM
I hear you Jim. This year a friend of ours let us clean up his property from Black and Silver Wattle which resulted in about 4 trailer loads. I do cry when it gets put in the Coonara. Mind you, I've saved some 2-3 wheelbarrow loads with some lovely grain.

Last year I received a tonne of redgum. The woodpile constantly teased and begged me not to burn it.

angryranga
29th May 2012, 01:20 PM
Bought what a guy advertised as a load of firewood for $10, turned out to be a whole Qld maple, hence after much chainsawing and slabbing i have a rather large amount of bowl blanks and slabs to play with. Still chasing firewood.:D

dr4g0nfly
29th May 2012, 06:32 PM
Bought what a guy advertised as a load of firewood for $10, turned out to be a whole Qld maple, hence after much chainsawing and slabbing i have a rather large amount of bowl blanks and slabs to play with. Still chasing firewood.:D

Start turning and burn the shavings! Or it'll be a cold winter!

jimbur
29th May 2012, 08:50 PM
Frost tonight.:o
Cheers,
Jim

thompy
29th May 2012, 10:59 PM
it must be the season..
Earlier tonight i got a mail from a mate whose just found out i was back turning again, he doesn't know wood, or work with it. However i've been invited over to look and grab what interests me from his firewood pile he thought i might like, i'm scared (for my limited space to store :doh: ) and excited (free wood, wot, :cool: ) and worried (treasures of grain burning :(( ).

In anything else you'd hope it was just rotten, but spalting can be quite lov....

this is how it all begins right...

Arrrgghhh.

Neal.

Ad de Crom
30th May 2012, 06:05 AM
Wow, free wood.
Select carefully, bad, burning it, the best turn it.
Ad

Tim the Timber Turner
30th May 2012, 09:49 AM
Wow, free wood.

Saw on TV last night.

Redgum firewood $300 per ton, pick up from the yard in the Adelaide hills.:o

Cheers
Tim

jimbur
30th May 2012, 11:27 AM
Saw on TV last night.

Redgum firewood $300 per ton, pick up from the yard in the Adelaide hills.:o

Cheers
Tim
I thought I paid a lot at $100 delivered.
Cheers,
Jim

rsser
31st May 2012, 05:09 PM
Anything that looks interesting is worth a try in my book.

But there's few pages in that book with good results from firewood deliveries.

That said, one rock-hard lump of red gum taught me a lot about turning.

jimbur
31st May 2012, 05:42 PM
Hi Ern, some of my first turning was done on goldfields timber - old ironbark and box. It certainly teaches you to take a shallow cut and think about what you are doing. I then had a go at some olive and thought I was in heaven.:D
Cheers,
Jim

rsser
31st May 2012, 06:06 PM
Hope Olive enjoyed it as much as you did ;-)

jimbur
31st May 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm sure she did.:D

rsser
31st May 2012, 06:24 PM
Yep, what I know of you.

My avatar is olive, the Euro fruit wood.

There's a small bowl blank of native olive in the bank I've yet to try.

And a blank of Ironbark. Weighs a ton.

jimbur
31st May 2012, 06:36 PM
One thing about ironbark, it won't float away if you're flooded.:U
Cheers,
Jim

rsser
31st May 2012, 07:40 PM
FWIW my experience with trees that died before they were cut don't make good turning timber.

vtbao
4th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Fire wood... ohhhh... I need some for turning!

Skewturn
4th June 2012, 10:55 PM
Hi All
I told my parents to put on an extra jumper because some of my best timber came from there firewood pile. I have found some great timbers like olive root, mallee root, cherry, redgum, almond and even some cypress pine which I use for practise turning.
I even got lucky because a family friend is a arborists and while he was out getting them some firewood he found the 1.6mx 1m and 20cm thick slabs of english oak dry and ready to turn and there where 3 of them. So firewood piles and my local woodturning club are my best sources of timber. I am Pro turn :2tsup: dont burn get a gas heater.

Ps I think Im might be getting some nice apricot soon Im told it has some nice colour.

Cheers Skewturn

jimbur
6th June 2012, 11:50 AM
FWIW my experience with trees that died before they were cut don't make good turning timber.
On the whole I agree Ern. It makes you realise what 'dead wood' means.
cheers,
Jim