PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for that **** cup of coffee

BobL
29th May 2012, 07:47 PM
Sunday evening disaster struck.

While sitting down with a cuppa Joe to while a way a couple of hours on the forum I tripped and about a third of a cup of coffee landed right in the middle on my 3 year old 17" Mac laptop keyboard. It went off immediately and the resulting "Zit . . . . .smell of burnt milk" did not sound or smell good. I tipped it upside down but not much came out, I opened it up as much as I could and the smell was awful! I wish I had gone for a black coffee.

Monday morning I spent running around only to confirm it was a dead duck. The repair guy showed me the burnt milk covering the motherboard, graphics card and HD controller. The HD is still being looked at but does not appear to be recoverable. Monday afternoon spent time negotiating with SWMBO about what to do - result is fork out for a new laptop but with stuff-all on it. Will have to reinstall everything.

My data backups are patchy, Mostly 3 months or older. I still have most of my 2012 MW and WW picture on my camera so they should be OK.

Ah well - I was going to upgrade in the next few months anyway and it was time time for a good cleanup anyway.

Lesson, Keep liquids at least 2 ft away from laptop key boards !!!!

nick_b00
29th May 2012, 08:11 PM
I can't imagine cause its not happened to me, but it's a good advert for backups. I use time machine on my Mac with good effect for recovery of deleted files but I've never had to recover a whole system.

Hope the disk is recoverable.

Nick

BobL
29th May 2012, 08:19 PM
I can't imagine cause its not happened to me, but it's a good advert for backups. I use time machine on my Mac with good effect for recovery of deleted files but I've never had to recover a whole system.

Hope the disk is recoverable.

Nick

I turned off time machine because my Backup disk was an old slow one but around Xmas last year I bought a new 2Tb drive but never got around to setting it up!

nick_b00
29th May 2012, 08:21 PM
:doh:

tea lady
29th May 2012, 11:36 PM
What's time machine? :C Starting to think I should do some sort of back up. Had a virus last week that made all my files invisible. :doh: Lucky I have a personal tech assistant computer genius. :cool::D

BobL
30th May 2012, 12:32 AM
What's time machine? :C Starting to think I should do some sort of back up. Had a virus last week that made all my files invisible. :doh: Lucky I have a personal tech assistant computer genius. :cool::D

It's an automated back up system that lets you travel back in time and look at your hard drive contents as it was on a specific date (depending on how often you do this). It uses another hard drive or drives to store the info.

nick_b00
30th May 2012, 08:51 AM
Should add - its only available on Mac.

Nick

codeMunk3y
30th May 2012, 09:36 AM
We have a strict no food or drinks around the computer policy after I think something was spilled on our keyboard and now the left shift and command key no longer work....