PDA

View Full Version : Identifying bookcase wood

dantree
30th May 2012, 10:38 AM
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify the type of wood that this bookcase is made out of? I am looking around for second hand hardwook bookcases and found this one, interested in what timber it might be?

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/120420/747r1/8471ibb_23.jpeg

Scott
30th May 2012, 08:41 PM
Without looking at the end grain I'm going to guess (and a very big guess), plain old pine which has been stained.

Welcome to the forums :)

rustynail
31st May 2012, 12:42 AM
Looks like Philipine Mahogany (Shorea.) Not a true mahogany, just another one of those exotic trade names.

pineforyou
30th June 2012, 10:30 AM
stained heritage teak, radiata pine.Applied in a spray stain (FRS)

elanjacobs
1st July 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm inclined to say stained Pine as well

Woodenit b nice
14th August 2012, 03:57 PM
Looks like Philipine Mahogany (Shorea.) Not a true mahogany, just another one of those exotic trade names.

What constitutes 'true mahogany', out of curiosity? I understand that, traditionally, any dark hardwood that resembles the mahogany of Africa came to be known as mahogany, since the name comes from an African word and spread, with the slave trade, from Africa to the West Indies and beyond.

daniel_veld
14th August 2012, 04:00 PM
I will go with Stained Pine too.

rustynail
14th August 2012, 11:22 PM
What constitutes 'true mahogany', out of curiosity? I understand that, traditionally, any dark hardwood that resembles the mahogany of Africa came to be known as mahogany, since the name comes from an African word and spread, with the slave trade, from Africa to the West Indies and beyond.

True mahogany "Swietenia"