PDA

View Full Version : Woodwork family

bassmansimon
30th May 2012, 08:12 PM
I need to make/buy something out of wood to represent a family (2 parents and a baby).

I am a beginner on a lathe and have a mini bandsaw so could do some sort of jigsaw piece possibly.

Essentially, someone simple to represent 2 parents and a baby - some ideas I had were 3 "snowmen" shape figures on a lathe, or something similar?

Any thoughts? Nothing too complex please. I tried designing a jigsaw template to have mum & dad with baby in the middle to fit in like a jigsaw puzzle, but it didn't look good. Any thoughts?

Ps doesn't have to be human - I would be happy with - "3 little bears" idea or soemthing similar. If I can't make it items (job due in a couple of weeks), I would be interested in buying if something like this exists. Hoping not to resort to a $2 store for Chinese made plastic babushka dolls.

Enfield Guy
30th May 2012, 09:17 PM
The "snowman" idea works for me. AND, you get some practice on the lathe. All good.

_fly_
30th May 2012, 11:43 PM
what about turning your snowmen shape and then cut the front and back off on the bandsaw to make it more human shape (thinner than wide). Want to go further you could carve a little bit to get neck and cut back to show the nose etc.

issatree
31st May 2012, 01:15 AM
Hi Bassmansimon,
You will need : 300mm.- 200mm. - 100mm. x 75mm. x 10mm. timber.
Mount between centres, & I've found you need top speed & form a person, with Pants ( M ) next 1 with a Skirt, ( F ) & whatever for the Baby.
Maybe a reasonably Small 1 that the Mother could hold.
After you finish them you glue them, so as the man ( Tallest ) is at the back & to the side a bit, & glue the Baby to the Mother.
Done properly they should stand OK, Or cut a small piece in a triangle, & glue to the back.
This was done many years ago, I think by Richard Raffan.
I did 1 with 7 people, & it looked great. I called it " Crowded House"
I also think it came from the " Fine Woodworking " Magazine..

bassmansimon
31st May 2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit confused about issatree's comment. Not quite sure what you mean, and couldn't find the reference on the fine woodworking site.

Given my (lack of) skill and experience, I might start with the snowman idea. Maybe do a more feminine one for the mother, with straight legs and then a dress, then a head. Not sure what it will come out like. It epidemic be good to avoid looking like a Christmas tree, which is a real possibility for that one.

bassmansimon
2nd June 2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I had a go at snowman number 1.
Any advice for the shape of the female snowman?

I was hoping not to need to do extra finishing like paint lips or hair etc.

lightwood
2nd June 2012, 02:25 PM

bassmansimon,
My sister is an audiologist, and when she tests children's hearing, she has a wooden boat with passengers that drop into holes on the deck that the child is to place there when they hear the tone in their headphones. Over the years they tend to walk out the door of the booth.
I made a couple of dozen of them to match the original ball on a stick form, and towards the end I was bored with the plain pattern, and made some fancy ones.
Later I made a train and carriage for No 1 grandson in a similar style.
Peter

http://www.petermcbride.com/woodwork/carriage_3.jpg
http://www.petermcbride.com/woodwork/train-_carriage01.jpg

SAISAY
2nd June 2012, 02:42 PM

Shouldn't that be snowWOman?
Anyway, instead of making the base ballshaped, just make it straight and, maybe, not a tophat, more like a bonnet.
You did a good job anyway.
I know absolutely nothing about turning and think they look good.
Cheers
Wolffie

bassmansimon
2nd June 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks to you both. I'll give it a go tomorrow for the snowwoman

Christos
3rd June 2012, 04:16 PM
I agree no lips or hair.

bassmansimon
3rd June 2012, 04:47 PM
Attempt #1 for the female figure.
Not good, because the head is odd shaped, and I didn't sand enough in the legs before taking off the lathe.
What do you think about the general shape?

Handyjack
3rd June 2012, 05:57 PM
There is not too much wrong with that.
Certainly a feminine form compared with the top hatted figure.

Is the third one going to be more of a stick figure?

bassmansimon
3rd June 2012, 06:06 PM
The third one will probably just be a simplified snowman to represent a baby. Just 2 shapes - a head, then body cocooned in a wrap. Like the main part of the male figure, but less rounded, and smaller

bassmansimon
17th June 2012, 12:04 PM
Finally finished. Re-made the female figure, then made the baby snowman shape.

lightwood
17th June 2012, 12:35 PM
Finally finished. Re-made the female figure, then made the baby snowman shape.
BMS,
they look great!!
Well done.

Regards,
Peter

Christos
17th June 2012, 08:37 PM
That's great I love the way this has turned out.

I am thinking that the male is a retired jockey or the female is a basketball player. :U

bassmansimon
17th June 2012, 10:49 PM
Not intentional but yes it looks a bit this way. Might need to increase proportions of the male figure or add legs next time

bassmansimon
19th June 2012, 07:05 PM
Christos, see attached. I attacked her legs, and am fairly pleased with the result. It effectively turned the knee-high skirt into a full length dress. But the proportions now work much better, and the figure is much better sized with the father and baby figures. Maybe it's just me, but I think it now looks a better shape, as the (lack of) legs is now consistent amongst all three.

Christos
19th June 2012, 09:09 PM
That does make a difference. How are you going to group/stick these together?

Handyjack
19th June 2012, 09:44 PM
:2tsup:
or should that be three thumbs up, one for each?

bassmansimon
19th June 2012, 10:04 PM
That does make a difference. How are you going to group/stick these together?

Just sit them together I think as in the photo. I don't think they need mounting on anything to group them.

bassmansimon
19th June 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks handyjack