PDA

View Full Version : best bandsaw blades to use?

Keef
1st September 2000, 09:22 PM
Hello evrybodies...I am cutting lots of rooley hard kiln dried hardwoods, including brushbox and flooded gum which blunt my bandsaw blades pretty quick. Anybody recommend the hardest sharpest longest lasting blades to use?

themunch2
1st September 2000, 11:04 PM
Keef, one wif teef werks good.

Iain
2nd September 2000, 08:32 AM
I have read about timberwolf silicon steel blades but as yet I have not found a source. If anyone knows where to find them I would like to try them.

John Saxton
2nd September 2000, 07:32 PM
Hey Keef,check out 'S post in this forum on 16th Dec,there you may find an answer!
You don't say whether you have talked to your local/nearest saw doctor who would advise you on the type/cost/options available to you.
Tungsten Carbide is the most expensive but has the ability have a high Hot Hardness that is the ability to withstand heat.
Next is High Speed Steel (Tuffride) then plain high speed steel and finally the cheapest is of course your carbon steel which has a short life if tested.
Some blades may be available that have a hard tooth and a flexible back whilst others may have hard tooth and a hard back particularly in a carbon type blade.All this then taken into conjunction as to whether you want a smooth cut or a rough cut and or whether you want to employ skip or hook teeth amongst your choices which are limitless to the point of exasperation!
The confusion is out there for all of us!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 02 September 2000).]

ubeaut
3rd September 2000, 09:51 AM
I know this will sound stupid but there is a thinner blade called (hobbies section) which is designed for ues on 3 wheeled machines. When this has the tension screwed up to maximum it will cut through even the toughest timber without appearing to blunten too dramatically, even after hours of work on the hardest of timbers. This is probably due to the fact that the blade is so thin.

With the tension wound right up these blades are also brilliant for cutting wafer thin veneers. 3/8inch 3tpi skip tooth seems to be around the best.

Try one blade and see how you go. In the past I have found them to be truely amazing.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif