PDA

View Full Version : Machine Skids or Platform Trolley

rodm
2nd June 2012, 03:09 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my HM45 mill to a Bridgeport size machine. Logistics of getting one of these into my shed is giving me a headache. The machine would have to be dropped off on the verge and I have a steep uphill driveway and then through a carport with about 1.9m clearance (have to check that) as it has a sectional door. Initially I was thinking of three pipes and rolling it through but dropping it on pipes isn't a good idea and the steep driveway would make this a bit tricky.

Getting it up the driveway would have to be done with a chain block as I wouldn't want it to take off and demolish the neighbors place. :)

I got some 6 inch swivel castors see photo and they should be OK with a combined load capacity of 1600 kg. I got a piece of steel skid plate 1m by 1.2m from the scrap yard today.

I am steering towards making a platform trolley as it would be more useful than 2 skids.
The castors are 190mm high and with a 50mm (?) frame between the castors and the skid plate I am looking at 245mm high. If I can't find a good used machine I might settle for a BM30 which is 2150mm high. I have already exceeded my carport clearance but I assume this spec is with the head in the operating position. Laying the head over might get it through but I'll have to check that out.

Should I think more about a skid design with the castors?

Anyone got opinions or thoughts about this?

Dave J
2nd June 2012, 03:20 AM
Make out riggers so the base is only 50mm off the ground and the wheels come up the side sort of thing. There are pictures around of what I am talking about, but I am off to bed now.

Dave

rodm
2nd June 2012, 03:28 AM
Hi Dave
That is what I was leading to by saying skids. While it is better for this application I would get more use from a paltform design so steering towards that. I might be piddling into the the wind but thought I would ask anyway.
It's only 12:30am here so don't know why the cot is calling you. :)

fubar
2nd June 2012, 10:39 AM
or for a couple of hundred hire one of these Telehandler Hire Perth - Manitou Hire Perth | All Terrain Services (http://www.allterrainservices.com.au/telehandler-hire-perth)

chambezio
2nd June 2012, 11:36 AM
I would lash down the machine to the base of your trolley. Due to your driveway being steep you would want the trolley and machine to move as one unit. Being around Four Wheel Drives for a big chunk of my life, I would rig a pulley block at the top of the drive and employ the services of a vehicle and winch and pull the caboose up to the shed then manouvre it into place with a hand winch. With the machine lashed down I would attach the winch cable to the trolley to keep the fulcrum as low as possible. Its a pity I am on the other side of Aus, otherwise I would offer my services.

Log
2nd June 2012, 11:43 AM
Not necessarily want you want to build:D, but you sure could do with this:2tsup:, it sure is a rip-snorter:)(. One could bolt a flat top on it for other uses.

The pic is from my vault of interesting dooverlackies etc, I lifted it off the net somewhere some time back.

First time posting pic as an attachment, hope it works:D:rolleyes:

Cheers.

Stustoys
2nd June 2012, 12:02 PM
Whats your drive made of and how long and steep is it? I'd be tempted to sit the mill on your steel plate and drag it... but of course that depends on a few things.
At least it wont roll into the neighbors place. :)

Stuart

Anorak Bob
2nd June 2012, 01:00 PM
Rod,

I slid the 500 kilo 13 into the shed on 2.1 metre long 40 x 12 jarrah door stops. I used a lever chain block and a couple of 1000 kg capacity rachet tie down straps.
Took me a couple of days to get it in place because there was a low limestone wall and a few machines in the way. I pushed the little Hercus around the back yard from the carport on some roof battens and 2 inch heavy wall pipe. You have see how far that is and back then it was a sandy building site.

I will give you a hand when the time comes.

Bob.

Dave J
2nd June 2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Dave
That is what I was leading to by saying skids. While it is better for this application I would get more use from a paltform design so steering towards that. I might be piddling into the the wind but thought I would ask anyway.
It's only 12:30am here so don't know why the cot is calling you. :)

It was 2:30 my time.

A trolley could come in handy in many ways, LOL

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210674&stc=1&d=1338609102

Dave J
2nd June 2012, 02:54 PM
Not necessarily want you want to build:D, but you sure could do with this:2tsup:, it sure is a rip-snorter:)(. One could bolt a flat top on it for other uses.

The pic is from my vault of interesting dooverlackies etc, I lifted it off the net somewhere some time back.

First time posting pic as an attachment, hope it works:D:rolleyes:

Cheers.

I have that series of photos as well. Really well thought out move that one.

Dave

Machtool
2nd June 2012, 04:19 PM
.I am steering towards making a platform trolley as it would be more useful than 2 skids.
Can I offer this up, rather than one large plate / skid, which is going to be hard to store. It what we call piano skates. Here’s a pair I prepared earlier.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x151/machtool/000_0129.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x151/machtool/000_0128.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x151/machtool/000_0127.jpg

If your on good terms with your scrap place, they are just heavy 4 x 6” and 6 x 6” Angle iron. The carrying part is only an inch off the ground, right at a good height for a heel crow bar.

When used as a pair, the handles face each other, I normally chain them together, with a dog. Webbing ratchet binders would work all so. When they are pulled together tight, they cant get away from the machine. And its only an inch drop if it all turns sour.

Timber wedges under them would stop them getting away also. Not my idea, all the machinery handling crane truck guys have them onboard. I’ve had over 3 tonne on those, that would be about the limit.

Regards Phil.

rodm
2nd June 2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I like the look of the trolley and will pinch a few ideas off that design. They knew what they were doing with axle stands under the trailer as well.

Definately would tie the mill to the platform.

Driveway is quite steep and brick paved so might present a few problems skidding a plate up there - I value the family jewels too much to attempt it while the part owner watches. :)

Dave- nice idea. I should take the rear wheels off the Hyundai and sit it on the platform with the mill and drive it up. Damn front wheel drive I will have to reverse up. :rolleyes:

I can see this needs a lot more thought and a few measurements to make sure it will work.

rodm
2nd June 2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Phil,
You posted while I was typing - well trying to find the keys.

That is what I had in mind when I was saying a skid - I probably have the wrong name so ignore my ignorance.

I like the look of those and I already have some large angle lintels from my scrap yard behind the shed looking to be used.

How wide are they?

Machtool
2nd June 2012, 05:07 PM
How wide are they?
I cant find my tape measure any where, So I just paced them out with a calibrated pair of size 12 boots. About 4 feet wide in the belly.

Phil.

rodm
2nd June 2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Phil
I'll convert the 4 feet in a calibrated size 12 boot to a well worn size 11 thong. :2tsup:

Log
2nd June 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Phil
I'll convert the 4 feet in a calibrated size 12 boot to a well worn size 11 thong. :2tsup:

I hope they're double plugger thongs, they are intrinsically safer having the more secure attachment at the back end of the foot straps :roflmao2::rofl::rofl:

Cheers.

rusty steel
2nd June 2012, 08:55 PM
Hello Rodm,
You say that the driveway is quite steep.
Would it be worth considering laying the mill in its "back" on the trolley to prevent the whole assembly from tipping forwards? The other possibility would be to put much larger wheels on the rear of the trolley, or pack them up to keep the mill closer to vertical for the trip up the driveway. Removing the top section and lowering the table/knee section would make it more stable.
Russell

rodm
2nd June 2012, 09:29 PM
I hope they're double plugger thongs, they are intrinsically safer having the more secure attachment at the back end of the foot straps :roflmao2::rofl::rofl:

Cheers.

They sure are. :2tsup:
I buy two pair at a time and the cleanest pair on the day become my going out thongs. I was going to say my dress pair but after seeing what the collective said to BT about dresses I decided against it. :D

Russell,
Good thinking and it's worth floating an idea on here just to get different thoughts. I haven't lined up a mill yet so not exactly sure what I will be dealing with just yet. Laying the mill back will help get it under the carport door if that gets in the way.

Anorak Bob
2nd June 2012, 09:37 PM
You could remove a couple of fence panels, dismantle the storage shed then take off the back of your workshop and just roll the mill in. Save you having to deal with the driveway , the carport door and the bonus would be you wouldn't have to move all of your gear out of the workshop.

You wouldn't even need to move your barbeque.:U

I bet you wear those DPs to work.

BT.

rodm
2nd June 2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Bob,
Your just trying to get me in trouble now.
I can only wear thongs to work if I have a dress on - notice blokes have to wear covered in shoes and the ladies can wear any open style footwear. I'm going to get into trouble for saying that. :p

Jon_77
2nd June 2012, 10:05 PM
Dismantle it - Remove the bed, remove the ram, cart it up in pieces, re-assemble inside the shed. It'll be easier to get up your driveway in pieces too - less weight, no longer top heavy (if people even want to call them that).

Think of them as mecano/lego technics, the bits are just a tad heavier :)

Cheers
Jon

4-6-4
2nd June 2012, 10:13 PM
Dear Rod I had a disastrous episode when shifting my Arno Mill and a Sheridan Defiance lathe from Geelong to Melbourne. To keep in as low to the ground I made 4 inch angles with wheel at each end. Which went under the machine the two angles were held together with 1 inch All thread. Because the apparatus was only being used once I skimped on the wheels. The wheels were the weak point and did not like the 30 hundred weight of the Arno The Sheridan was much the same story even though there were four angles used. In the end it was a roller job. Your steep driveway sounds a real problem. I finished up using a crane truck saved a lot of drama. Best of British old son keep us posted.
Yours 4-6-4

rodm
2nd June 2012, 10:17 PM
Hi Jon,
I would like to get it around the back and out of view fairly quick. I have a small block in a built up area and although I get on well with the neighbors it would be best not to draw attention to my hobby. I am hoping the belt driven mill will be quieter than my noisy gear head mill I have at the moment.
If the move goes pear shaped dismantling will be plan B.

rodm
2nd June 2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks 4-6-4
I am concerned about damaging somebody or the mill. Hopefully the castors I have got will do the job.
I'll post up photos of the finshed item and please comment if you see a problem or can give advice.

Jon_77
2nd June 2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Jon,
I would like to get it around the back and out of view fairly quick. I have a small block in a built up area and although I get on well with the neighbors it would be best not to draw attention to my hobby. I am hoping the belt driven mill will be quieter than my noisy gear head mill I have at the moment.
If the move goes pear shaped dismantling will be plan B.

Hi Rod,

You'd be surprised as to how quickly one can disassemble and reassemble them - When I got my mill I had to dismantle it to get it into the backyard, and then into the shed - this was my first mill and I had no issues what so ever with it (BM60 Turret for reference).

Best of luck with the move, just remember these things are heavy, plan ahead and think twice with each and every move.

Cheers
Jon

rodm
2nd June 2012, 10:54 PM
Hi Jon,
A BM60 is a big beast. I am only thinking Bridgeport if I can get a good one or a new BM30 or a Steelmaster if I can't.
I will take it easy on the move as it takes too long to repair injuries these days.

I have just scored eight cast 4 inch swivel castors on ebay for a reasonable price. Using Phil's design with two on each corner they will hold 2 ton all up so a good safety margin.. Castor height of 138mm so should be able to work better with that than the 6 inch castors at 190mm.

I've checked out the angle hidden deep behind the shed and have found some suitable lintels. Unfortunately they are hot dipped galvanized so will have to sand that off the ends with a flap wheel so my welder mate doesn't get poisoned.

I'll post here once they are made up.

Better get out to the shed and do a job or two as I loose a machine tomorrow and need to finish a project. At least that machine is on wheels and can be pushed up a pair of ramps.

Dingo Dog
5th June 2012, 08:39 AM
Bloke

When my lathe was delivered it was sitting on a rather large truck who had a Hiab mounted at the front. He drove the truck up my driveway as far as he could, lifted the Lathe over my neighbours fence onto the driveway, then laid down a couple of sheets of thin steel sheet.

He used a bar to lift each end of the Lathe, slipped a load skate under and pushed it into where I wanted it.

Consider hiring a bloke with a front mounted Hiab, will take out a lot of heartache in winching a heavy load up a steep incline.

DD

shedhappens
5th June 2012, 10:41 AM
rodm why don't you fix the obvious problem ?

Raise the carport roof, it will solve your problem now and in the future, just pull the roof off and extend the post's then put the roof back on.

john

rodm
5th June 2012, 11:39 AM
Hi DD
I am on a small block and the houses are too close together to attempt an over the fence lift.
I think the safest is to get it to ground on the flat at the bottom of the driveway then skid it through the carport. I have two 150mm square posts I can rig up as anchors and use a chain block to pull it up the drive then it is flat through to the shed with no steps along the way.
I have looked at the carport sectional door and if I take it off the auto closer and push the door back I can get just over 2.1 clearance so that will help.

Hi John,
The carport is part of the main roof structure.

Alby123
6th June 2012, 10:45 AM
Hi rodm, amongst your workshop equipment do you have a folding crane or engine lifter because ifyou did or if you don't maybe another member in your location maybe able to lend you one.
What you could do is to partial disassemble of the propose mill, then using the folding crane to put tose parts into a 6 x 4 trailer , then back the trailer up to the the shed, unload it with the folding crane and reassemble the mill.

ian
6th June 2012, 11:07 AM
rent one of these Welcome to Rent a Dingo | Dingo hire with free delivery to all suburbs in Perth | We hire Dingos, Mini Excavators, Compactors and Bricksaws (http://www.rentadingo.com.au/pallet.html)
http://www.rentadingo.com.au/images/p_a09.jpg