PDA

View Full Version : Turning therapy.

Sturdee
3rd June 2012, 06:03 PM
After a thoroughly horrible and forgettable week, starting last Saturday with blocked ears requiring rinsing out, followed with an unsuccessful transjugular liver biopsy, breathing tests and a neck CT scan, I got the time and energy to have some turning therapy.

I started last Friday on a potpourri bowl with a stone band inlay which I finished this morning using some scrounged timber.

Size is approx 145*100mm and is finished with shellowax and in keeping with the pink inlay and the roses top this one will be rose scented.

This is the side on view

and the top.

Finally for those that like to look at bottoms.

Despite the challenges the inlay gave me I enjoyed making this bowl.

Enjoy.

Peter.

steck
3rd June 2012, 06:35 PM
....for those that like to look at bottoms. :oo:

Peter.

Nice bit of therapy there, Peter!
What is the inlay? It looks very pretty.

rsser
3rd June 2012, 06:42 PM
Nice work Piet.

Hope things get better for you.

Sturdee
3rd June 2012, 07:08 PM
Nice bit of therapy there, Peter!
What is the inlay? It looks very pretty.

The pink inlay is pink calcite which is one of the stones available from Pops shed (http://popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=33&scid=62&pid=93).

This is the second time I've used stone inlay and although time consuming it does add that little extra to the turning.

Peter.

brendan stemp
3rd June 2012, 09:55 PM
Good stuff Peter. I hope it helped with your recuperation.

jimbur
3rd June 2012, 10:12 PM
Looks really good.
Hope things look up healthwise.
Cheers,
Jim

Skewturn
3rd June 2012, 10:55 PM
Nice:2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
4th June 2012, 06:52 AM
Finally for those that like to look at bottoms.

But...but... but I'm a leg man!

Nice bowl and good work with the stone inlay.

I know the answer is perfume, but they normally smell of all sorts of stuff, so how are you going to make is smell specifically of roses?

Sturdee
4th June 2012, 10:16 AM
I know the answer is perfume, but they normally smell of all sorts of stuff, so how are you going to make is smell specifically of roses?

That's the easiest part. You can get potpourri consisting of only rose petals ( mine are bright red) etc and then add a few extra drops of aromatic rose oil every so often.

I got the potpourri and rose oil from a $ 2.00 shop, I suppose you have those kind of stores as well that sell all kinds of junky things very cheaply.

Peter.

tea lady
4th June 2012, 05:50 PM
Does sond tlike a horrid week. :C Nice bowl at least,:2tsup:

Sturdee
9th June 2012, 06:26 PM
I started last Friday on a potpourri bowl with a stone band inlay which I finished this morning using some scrounged timber.

Peter.

I've since found out that the wood is Geronggang which is grown in Indonesia.

Specs are here (http://www.pacificwood.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=172)and here (http://tropix.cirad.fr/asia/GERONGGANG.pdf)for those interested.

Peter.