PDA

View Full Version : DIY brazier

rsser
4th June 2012, 04:19 PM
We're heading outback this month and temps can get well below freezing, so I've hacked an old 9kg gas bottle for a brazier. Cut the top off and cut four air slots above the bottom.

Thanks to GJ for the donation of the bottle.

NOTE: there are serious risks of explosion doing this so take out the valve, fill with water and empty before you start hacking.

BobL
4th June 2012, 05:41 PM
Great idea.

Here's ours. not as compact as yours but it does raise a bit of interest at the camping grounds and with the baking attachment makes a great damper and slow roast.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210974&stc=1&d=1338792013
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210973&stc=1&d=1338792013

rsser
4th June 2012, 05:59 PM
Wow, I bet it does.

My unit is under test as we speak.

Steady rain, fan applied to mimic 25 kph winds, and it's going gang busters with lumps of blackwood (yeah, easy test).

Scott
4th June 2012, 10:10 PM
No Mulga or alike in it please, save that for me :D

Good luck with the trip Ern, looking forward to a few stories and images when you get back.

rsser
5th June 2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks Scott. Plenty of timber out there; so little room to bring any back.

rsser
6th June 2012, 05:20 PM
Up to our ear oles in prep now.

Need to be equipped to be stuck for some days if it rains, and two tracks will be two days' drive between such civilisation as exists out there.

Spare on roof rack (too big to fit in wheel well).
Spare tyre.
Tyre repair kit and compressor.
A jerry of fuel and one of water along with the 40l water tank on the CT.
Chainsaw and all the accessories along with the brazier.
Shovel and axe.
Lots of dried food (we can only take from NSW to Qld by way of fresh food caulie, cabbage, broccoli and asparagus!).
Tools, spares and countless bits and pieces for bush repairs.
Laptop and Telstra blue-tick phone as modem.
Satphone in case it all goes pear-shaped.

It's going to be hard to squeeze it all in and on the Forester and camper trailer. When I grow up I'm going to get a Unimog!