PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog new tricks

Paddy
28th February 2005, 10:27 PM
About two years ago I decided to have a go at wood turning, so went out and bought a lathe and tools that were advertised in the Trading Post.

Grabbed a bit of old red Gum Post and decided to make a set, of tea, coffee and other food holders. Have been having fun ever since. However would not recommend starting on Old Red Gum or making a 300mm deep container first off.

After many "dig ins" and much tool sharpening, finished the first one .. the tallest on the right pic. Then went a bit mad on containers for a while.. then bowls and 'off centre' turning.

Friends used to hide , in case I was trying to get rid of another product!!

Last year was given some very wet Cherry Wood and turned two containers without any problems (Right pic).
Then I was given three more lengths, this was when the fun realy started! I have tried everything.

Turned blanks of varying thickness and then.. air dried..soaked in detergent solutions.. boiled.. microwaved and frozen them..Tried turning them 3mm thick and saturating with Tung oil (20% success rate ).. drying 15mm blanks, under shavings, until weight is constant, down to about 68% of original weight, seems the most reliable, but still get some cracking in the base with some of these, but by far the best.. still trying!!

Think it is about time I talked to some old hands for advice ! Are there any forum members in the Yarra Junction area (vic) or any active groups around here.

I have just got access to a lot of blackwood, cut down this week!! help.

DWFII
1st March 2005, 12:57 AM
Have you tried alcohol drying? Denatured alcohol that is...

Here's a link to an article by Dave Smith on the process. Those who have tried it claim about 90%+ success (no cracking or warping) from roughed green to finished dry in two weeks or so.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Dave experimented with this process over the course of more than a year before bringing it to the public. He enlisted several well known turners to do trials, as well, and without exception they all became enthusiasts. The turning forums here in the states (especially WoodCentral) have had numerous discussions delving into the scientific reasons for why this technique works...with some mighty knowledgable folks weighing in.

Personally I am convinced and my next three bowls are already scheduled for the treatment. But that's just my opinion. Try it, you may like it.

two cents for the kitty...

Paddy
1st March 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks WF11 for info on alcohol soak, looks interesting and will give it a try.

Trouble is that the boiling and detergent guys looked good as well!! I might add that my trials , involved 4 samples with each approach.

Could be that the impregnation of 3mm wall thickness blanks with Tung Oil and slow drying under wood chips, had a similar effect as the alcohol, but with much inferior penetration.

DWFII
1st March 2005, 01:40 PM
Paddy,

I mentioned the discussions that went on regarding this technique when Dave first introduced it. A lot was said about alcohol's propensity to "push" the water out of the wood. I'm not explaining it as scientifically as several who offered explanations did, but I've seen the same thing with acetone. And according to one report, archeologists and historians regularly use alcohol to rid wood artifacts of moisture.

Hope it works for you...let us know.

gatiep
1st March 2005, 01:55 PM
Quote: " I have tried everything."

Paddy

In the world of woodworking I guess you have almost started. Two years, even if you are turning 24/7 will barely scratch the surface. What I am saying is that as you go you'll find more and more and then even more things that will fascinate you. Keep going mate, it's lots of fun.

Have you tried vacuum drying yet? Or what about vacuum drying while the project is submerged in polyurethane etc to stabilize it once you let the vacuum go. Have you used superglue yet to stabilize the project....or for finishing?

Been around lathes half a centuary longer than you and I cannot claim that I have tried everything. Woodturning is such a wide and diverse field. However most important is that you enjoy what you are doing and having lots of fun. What a pitty that you live in 'another country' and not here in Perth.
Great work by the way, keep going.

:)

ptc
1st March 2005, 04:34 PM
What's happening with your jet engine ?
given it a run lately.

Paddy
1st March 2005, 05:41 PM
Hi gatiep

Just cos your not getting the canal you were promisedby your polies, there's no need to get ratty, even if you do live in Perth!

Having tried everything that 'I' knew or had read about in the various forums.. was asking for advice from experienced turners.. not a demolition job!

Hav'nt seen any reports on your suggestions, but will add them to my memory bank.

have a great day

scooter
1st March 2005, 07:30 PM
Gday Paddy, welcome aboard!

Don't let Joe get you down, he's one of these "great to be alive" folk, probably smiles at strangers too (harrummphh, harrummph).

Have heard of people using "glycol" (?) as part of a drying process, no other knowledge claimed other than the name but could be worth following up, try google or google groups.

Also try googling something like... method drying blank lathe or green wood blank or some other combinations (the idea being to put a few more search terms in to narrow your answers).

There are answers to any question on the 'net, just need the persistance to track 'em down.

Cheers........................Sean the non turner

gatiep
1st March 2005, 10:04 PM
Hey Paddy

Sorry mate, the intention wasn't to put you down, rather to tell you how much there is in woodturning to do. I think it is one of the most diversified fields in woodwork.

Pollies don't worry me, I just accept that whatever they promise will most probably never happen. My mention about Perth was actually aimed at offering you some help, but obviously because you are far away, it will not be personal. If you were in Perth you would have been welcome to come bye.

I note that you are new on the BB....Welcome enjoy and have fun.

Scooter

The reason for that "great to be alive" is because I am very greatful to still be around, after a heart attack and two cancer operations amongst other things. Every day is a bonus.

Cya

gatiep
1st March 2005, 10:12 PM
Hey PTC,

Havn't run the jet for over a year. It makes too much noise to run here at home and it is a big schlep to take it and all that goes with it out into where there are no people around. Actually thought of disposing of it some time ago, but I havn't advertised it yet.

Take care

ptc
2nd March 2005, 08:24 AM
Put it on buy sell and swap.
some of our [members,visitors must be loaded].?

scooter
2nd March 2005, 11:18 PM
Gday Joe, tongue was firmly in cheek about hanging it on your tag line.

I reckon there's a helluva lot to be grateful and positive about in this world, living in Oz and the camaraderie (sp?) of this board are cases in point.

So is a nice espresso coffee :)

Cheers..............Sean, he who never sleeps

adrian
3rd March 2005, 10:57 AM
Paddy.
I'm a relative newcomer to turning as well but if I am looking at the two split pieces correctly you have cut the blanks incorrectly before they even went on the lathe.
Both of them look like they have the pith in the centre of the piece. You may have been cutting the log crossways and turning the resulting round piece of timber when what you should have been doing was cutting the log in half down it's length and using each side. I suppose there is no real correct way to cut blanks but cutting bowl blanks cross grain means that you are placing the most unstable part on the timber in the centre of the piece where the pressure is the greatest. Just have a look at any log and you will see the cracks in the centre.
Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but that's what it looks like to me. Been there, done that.

Paddy
3rd March 2005, 06:06 PM
Hi Adrian

Trouble is that the logs are only about 180mm OD.

I got away with turning 300mm high * 160 mm dia containers with only 1 failure in 7 turned.

The cracking has only become a serious problem when the height is reduced to about 80mm, with diameter still at 160mm.

As I have about 6 meters of Cherry in the workshop, I decided to search the web for solutions. There were may very interesting and detailed write-ups on methods that claimed very good results, particularly on Cherry.

So I have been evaluating as may as I can with varied results. I have had some very interesting results turning down to about 10mm and soaking in Tung Oil, prior to air drying, with 2 out of 2, showing only hairline cracks that have closed up and have been stable for the last 6 months.

The the denatured Alcohol, approach has me very interested and I have two samples underway at the moment.

I always work on the basis that "there is a solution", but finding it is the challenge !! just a nut really.

rsser
8th March 2005, 05:55 PM
Some folks have tried Polyethyl glycol (PEG) I think it's called; you soak your blank in it and it replaces all the water.

Like all the fruitwoods cherry has a high initial moisture content and the cracking is caused by uneven drying. One option is to turn a piece in one session (ie. fast and no walking off for a cuppa!), thin-walled, and then dry gently in a microwave.

I have two thoroughly sealed pieces of plum branchwood in 'the bank' and one has split regardless.

Paddy
11th March 2005, 08:24 PM
Hey DWF11...

The Alcohol soak is looking good.. used Metho as i had some in the shed, have four blanks underway.

Their weight has sabilised in only 6 days, without any significan distortion and no cracks to date.. will turn them down next week.

let you know how they go.. To travel hopefully is to arrive!