PDA

View Full Version : First bowl

torchwood
5th June 2012, 01:50 PM

Hi all, here's my first bowl, it's made of apricot, it's about 3 3/4" wide by 1 3/4" high, and it was a lot of fun to make. Any thoughts on it it will be most helpful. Cheers Harry

Allan at Wallan
5th June 2012, 03:10 PM
Lovely piece of wood and nice effort for your
first bowl.

Would have preferred to see the foot a bit less
bulky.

Practice makes perfect and look forward to seeing
your future efforts.:2tsup:

Allan

thompy
5th June 2012, 06:41 PM
looking really good, and with the "i had fun" thing there is more to come.

As you do more you're eye will train in and your skills will improve and you'll make different descisions on shapes to feature different grains and patterns, sometimes even being able to picture a lump in its finished form before you begin, great first bowl though. well done. looking forward to seeing more =).

Neal.

brendan stemp
5th June 2012, 07:04 PM
It looks a lot better than my first bowl!

Ad de Crom
5th June 2012, 07:46 PM
Well done for the first time, having fun is the most important thing.
Ad :2tsup:

Skewturn
5th June 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi, I like your first bowl, it has a great finish and it looks like you are finding your own style too. Apricot was a nice choice to turn.:2tsup:
Cheers Skewturn

tdrumnut
5th June 2012, 09:07 PM
Love that timber and good first up effort.

torchwood
5th June 2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you for the comments, that apricot wood sure is pretty, I regret giving most of that apricot tree, (neatly cut up and stacked) to my brother to burn in his wood heater over a year ago!:upset:

dr4g0nfly
6th June 2012, 08:36 AM
I don't know if that is the pith or a big knot but I bet it was an interesting turn.

Nice shape and a good finish, well done.

torchwood
6th June 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi Dr, That big circle was a side branch, but being inexperienced I had a shot at it anyway.