PDA

View Full Version : EEE Separating

westpest
1st March 2005, 03:17 AM
A Question for anybody that can answer,

With the high temp's in my Turning workshop my EEE seems to have separated.. the top 15mm is white and then almost normal in colour. By just remixing does the polish retain it's quality or do I have to bin it and buy more.My reason for asking is that when I tried this today it didn't seem to give the "glow" that it normally does...

DanF

PAH1
1st March 2005, 09:31 AM
My feeling is that it should not really be affected. The wax is really just a carrier for the abrasive and that is the only bit that may decay in the heat. It could be the wood that you are using is not taking it as well as others. Mine has separated slightly but it has not affected the funcioning of the polish.

gatiep
1st March 2005, 01:59 PM
Remix and it will be fine. After all that would be how it was manufactured by the wax being in a molten state when mixed with the abrasive component.

:)

Termite
1st March 2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, my EEE and my traditional waxes all separate in the Termites Nest (tin garage) so I just mix them up again and all is well. :D

DanP
1st March 2005, 02:21 PM
Dan,

Currently about 40 degrees in my shed. You can bet the EEE is as separated as it is going to get. As it does every day at this time of year. Just remix. Cool it in the fridge first or it will just separate again.

Dan

ubeaut
1st March 2005, 03:19 PM
Just mix it back in, shouldn't be a problem, best done when it is all pretty molten. If you are game you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds on high (whilst SWMBO isn't looking) to make it all soft then mix it in and shove it in the beer fridge. http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif

Try and keep it in a cool place, an old esky is good for these sorts of products. Have seen a stuby holder used also. Shove the jar in and roll down the sides to just below the top of the lid.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :)

Termite
1st March 2005, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=ubeaut]If you are game you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds on high (whilst SWMBO isn't looking) to make it all soft /QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I can see it all now, "Hullo sweetheart, I just thought I'd polish the inside of the microwave for you", as you frantically try to recover your wax off the inside of the nuclear furnace. :D :D

Christopha
1st March 2005, 04:41 PM
Neil, stop helpin' the poor benighted sodses.
Wotcha should do is empty the lot into a large crystal dish, (Waterford is fine) then Microwave on high for 1 1/2 hours or until microwave starts to smoke gently, whichever comes first. Then, using quite long tongs and whilst wearing a leather apron, welding gauntlets and a full face shield, remove the dish from the microwave and drop the whole shebang quickly into a large tub of ice water. If this doesn't quite return the EEE to its' original state then you may have to assist U and Beaut to have a nice holiday in the yoonighted states by purchasing a new container of EEE.... if you can though please hang on till the next woodshow so I can sell it to you and thereby stay in the good books of the aforementioned U and Beaut.

lacewood
1st March 2005, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=ubeaut]If you are game you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds on high (whilst SWMBO isn't looking) to make it all soft /QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I can see it all now, "Hullo sweetheart, I just thought I'd polish the inside of the microwave for you", as you frantically try to recover your wax off the inside of the nuclear furnace. :D :D

In this house the boot is on the other foot! My first attempt at microwaving a bit of wood perfumed the house and microwave for quite some time. MOTH was not happy and was even less so when I boiled up some Buffalo horn before turning it. (AND it is my kitchen and he doesn't cook!! :cool: ) However it did have the desired effect. I now have my own microwave in the workshop.

I have even managed to perfume his shed ( it was hard going as my shed is next door to his) on occasion. I wait till he has actually ventured into said shed and also check that the wind is in the right direction to get max fun/value out of situation!! :)

reeves
1st March 2005, 05:44 PM
same here, just remix...i add a touch of oil (tung) if its too gluggy but not much..

CanFly
2nd March 2005, 06:14 AM
What's all this talk of 40 degrees? It's below zero here!

PAH1
2nd March 2005, 08:49 AM
What's all this talk of 40 degrees? It's below zero here!

40 deg C = 104F
anything -F is far too cold to contemplate, coldest it has ever been here is 18F

ubeaut
2nd March 2005, 09:52 AM
:eek: Don't put tung oil in EEE, :( if you must thin it use mineral turpentine and if you must put some oil into it (although I don't know why) use paraffin oil and nothing else. Paraffin oil is 100% compatible and will not dry or go rotten like most other oils.