PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome "end - grain"

FullBurl
6th June 2012, 11:58 PM
Some people might like to use a home made sanding sealer as opposed to a bought one for end grain problems. I use the following : in a large glass jar with a good fitting metal lid I pour in paint thinners to about two thirds full, then dissolve enough styrene foam ( plenty of that about) to make the mixture the consistency of paint. Very cheap and works well. But for those who don't like using these petro- chemicals and have trouble with end grain, garnet paper is the best solution. Seems the only paper that works properly. Cheers, Ian :D

dr4g0nfly
7th June 2012, 05:54 AM
I'm captivated but this suggestion but can't quite make out what you're doing with it.

Are you sealing end-grain before finishing the piece - so it does not absorb too much colour from stain or similar, or

Are you using it to seal end-grain in the drying of blanks process?

Thanks for any further info.

FullBurl
7th June 2012, 08:55 AM
Oh I'm really in the 'just sanding' camp. What I'm saying is if you want to use sanding sealer then there is a cheap alternative. How and when is up to the individual. :D

oldsaundy
7th June 2012, 11:13 AM
I have been told about this before and didn't take any notice. Now I might just try it on something that is basicly practice. I was told it works as a finish as well. Just keep putting it on and sanding the polishing. I am game to try anything.

vk4
7th June 2012, 08:52 PM
be ware this mix is very FLAMMABLE, AND THE FUMES WILL BE SOMETHING ELSE AGAIN.

I use shellac , at least 3-4 coats, then a Shella wax finish, and as an alternative I have water base floor finish which dries in an hour , and I apply 2-3 coats then wax finish.

Jeff

rsser
8th June 2012, 02:33 PM
I would not like to sand anything with poly/s in it in case it gets up the schnoz.

Agree that garnet paper is worth a try as it's designed for bare wood. It's cheap but doesn't last that long, and quality fabric-backed abrasive is a better bet for hand sanding.

rsser
8th June 2012, 02:35 PM
And just to add, unless you like sanding, play around with tool edge treatments and tool presentation to reduce tear-out. It's an investment worth making.