PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Medicine Cabinet

Pariss
7th June 2012, 03:06 PM
G'day fellers. Just finished a Qld Red Cedar & Qld Maple medicine cabinet. Finished with several coats of Tung Oil blend + 2 coats of Traditional Wax. The Hounds tooth banded inlay is also one of my creations. A different sort of look for a medicine cabinet, with the Maple Dentil trim top & bottom.

Handyjack
7th June 2012, 04:57 PM
:2tsup:
Looks great.

ClintO
7th June 2012, 07:53 PM
It looks beautiful, you might want to allow for some taller items though

tdrumnut
7th June 2012, 08:14 PM
Nice work Parris, now I see what the gear you bought at the show was for.

Pariss
7th June 2012, 08:44 PM
It looks beautiful, you might want to allow for some taller items though

Thanks ClintO. It really is a 'medicine cabinet'. The wife is a diabetic, so half the thing will be filled with packets of pills etc, the rest of it will be filled with the usual small box's of panadol and vitamins etc etc. :roll:

BobR
7th June 2012, 08:58 PM
Well done. Looks great.

dr4g0nfly
7th June 2012, 10:52 PM
That 'will' make a statement wherever you hang it. Very nice job you've done there, well done.

Dengue
7th June 2012, 11:04 PM
That is an awesome work of art and craftmanship. Well done Pariss :2tsup:

wun4us
7th June 2012, 11:13 PM
Really love the frieze on the top; makes a statement.

chook
8th June 2012, 07:30 AM
That is not a medicine chest. It is a work of art.

coffenup
8th June 2012, 08:45 AM
that's great it something to make us lesser woodworker to strive to achieve
Regards michael

SAISAY
8th June 2012, 08:55 AM
I am green with envy:D
Cheers
Wolffie

bench1holio
8th June 2012, 12:45 PM
great bit of work pariss :2tsup: your handy off the lathe as well, you could store alot of pens in that! :D

the cedar looks alot like western red cedar to me, aust. cedar is alot darker red:whatonearth:

SAISAY
8th June 2012, 06:07 PM
great bit of work pariss :2tsup: your handy off the lathe as well, you could store alot of pens in that! :D

the cedar looks alot like western red cedar to me, aust. cedar is alot darker red:whatonearth:
This is Far North Queensland, our timbers are different to the southern ones.
Notice pariss lives in Cairns, the wet tropics and he did say "Queensland Red Cedar" :D
Cheers
Wolffie

Pariss
8th June 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks fellers for the kind posts. Re-the Cedar. I was told at the timber yard that it was Qld Cedar, but the bloke was a bit slow on the up-take, so I'm bamboozled as to exactly what breed of Cedar it is. All I know is I'm glad it's finished as I unfortunately discovered I am VERY allergic to the fine dust it throws off when sanded. Nearly ended up in the hospital. :C. Never had Asthma before, but my lungs sounded like bagpipes about 5 hours after being exposed to the fine dust from sanding, YES, drum sander was connected to dust extractror. Three weeks later I am still wheezie from the experience. The left over Cedar is in the wheelie bin now !!! :~

chook
9th June 2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks fellers for the kind posts. Re-the Cedar. I was told at the timber yard that it was Qld Cedar, but the bloke was a bit slow on the up-take, so I'm bamboozled as to exactly what breed of Cedar it is. All I know is I'm glad it's finished as I unfortunately discovered I am VERY allergic to the fine dust it throws off when sanded. Nearly ended up in the hospital. :C. Never had Asthma before, but my lungs sounded like bagpipes about 5 hours after being exposed to the fine dust from sanding, YES, drum sander was connected to dust extractror. Three weeks later I am still wheezie from the experience. The left over Cedar is in the wheelie bin now !!! :~

If my memory serves me rightly McKay Cedar is really bad stuff. The dust from that is like a handful of pepper.

Your pictures have given me an idea for making a much smaller cabinet to attach to the inside of the door to our pantry. One corner of the pantry is a mess with odd tablets and prescriptions and a little cupboard after the style of yours will go a way to fixing that.

SAISAY
9th June 2012, 08:28 AM
I cut some cedar down yesterday and, yes, the dust is like bulldust, very powdery.
Cheers
Wolffie

bench1holio
9th June 2012, 11:02 AM
This is Far North Queensland, our timbers are different to the southern ones.
Notice pariss lives in Cairns, the wet tropics and he did say "Queensland Red Cedar" :D
Cheers
Wolffie

hey wolfie, i think ive worked enough of both timbers to know the difference!:D

Dengue
9th June 2012, 06:42 PM
Hi bench1holio. Can you please tell us the difference between the two timbers in appearance and in texture? Are they both dangerous to your health?

Pariss
10th June 2012, 12:38 AM
Hey fellers. Well, this morning I went into my shed to turn a pen, (yes, I had my dust extractor on and wore a dust mask while turning the pen) and as usual turned on the fans to keep cool. I had previously cleaned every bit of Red Cedar dust from the workshop (or so I thought). This afternoon, around 6 hours after being in the shed this morning, I again developed severe asthma and had to rush to get some Ventolin and take anti-histamine pills so I could breath. NEVER had asthma or any allergic reaction in my life until this bloody Red cedar dust. There must still be a tiny bit hiding somewhere in the shed, and the fans stirred it up. I'm going to have to go over all surface areas and nooks and crannies with a sponge and soapy water to get rid of all traces of Cedar dust. What a nightmare :(:C http://www.forestnet.com/timberwest/archives/Nov_Dec_04/clearing_the_air.htm