PDA

View Full Version : Filling Gaps

sturina
7th June 2012, 08:14 PM
Ok, I've filled gaps before in wood. Usually I use wood shavings or coffee grinds with glue for small gaps and imperfections. The peice I am working on now has a much larger base (25 cm diametre) with a lot of the little gaps. I have found that mixing with both Thin CA or Expoxy tends to cure to quickly for the area i'm working over. The question is what is the best adhesive to give some working time if I mix up some slurry. Trying to get the job done tomorrow so prefer something readily available.

Thanks in advance

Skewturn
7th June 2012, 09:34 PM
Im only a novice at this but I use Cheap shop superglue which gives about 5 minutes and can be worked to a good slurry. It might be a cheap thing to try.
Cheers Skewturn

dr4g0nfly
7th June 2012, 10:42 PM
Araldite Epoxy glue (the original stuff) has a 24 hour setting time, how slow do you want it!

hughie
9th June 2012, 02:04 PM
Araldite Epoxy glue (the original stuff) has a 24 hour setting time, how slow do you want it

....then theres 5minute Araldite

Go back and look at my post on Black CA its a good filler as well

turnerted
9th June 2012, 05:54 PM
Plastibond with polyester pigment .Has about 10 minutes working life and you can turn it in about 30 minutes .Finding the pigment may be a problem if you want to do it tomorrow . As far as I know, it's only available from fibreglass suppliers but you may get it from boating suppliers like Whitworths.
Ted