PDA

View Full Version : Threaded ball box with new tools

dai sensei
9th June 2012, 07:21 PM
Had a bit of a play with the new threading jig and ball jig :2tsup:. Used a nice looking spalted piece of Crows Ash :cool:, but unfortunately most of the beautiful red and brown spalting got turned away, leaving mainly the blues and greys.

I tried to match the patterns, which looked alright when I matched the threads, but unfortunately when the ball was turned down, they didn't match too well anymore :( The wall thickness is ~6mm under the threaded part on the main body (ie it steps in).

Certainly not perfect, just a prototype, but I learnt a lot along the way :wink:

Photos: lump turned to round and marked out for parts; lid turned ready for threading; threading lid; turning main body; turning ball; checking thickness to thread; finished ball assembled; finished ball apart.

Finished with Glow.

Cheers

tea lady
9th June 2012, 07:25 PM
:cool:Noice. I guess matching the grain is a bit of a challenge. :doh:

Skewturn
9th June 2012, 09:34 PM
:2tsup:Looks great, I like the idea of a round box.

francè
10th June 2012, 01:55 AM
well done dai sensei ... :)

bench1holio
10th June 2012, 09:12 AM
gotta be happy with that, damn fine prototype:2tsup:

dai sensei
10th June 2012, 12:08 PM
A few learnings I had:

Calculate depths, shapes and positions of the final product, inside and out, before starting. You can fine tune as you go if necessary, but it helps to know where you are heading
Allow a bit extra dia when turning for the outside dia of the male thread, and smaller dia for the female thread, as you will want to sand the threads when done threading.
If you are trying to match grain, only adjust thread so that you are short of match by ~10mm before ball turning. Then just before final cut, adjust to match up grain, then finish
I have since modified my cutting bit, by grinding it down on the outside face, to enable the lid thread as close as possible to the matching face. This is to minimise number of turns to remove lid
Turn and thread each half without taking it out of the jaws.
Do the lid first, then turn and thread main body
When testing the lid thread match to the main body, turn the shaft back and forth, do not move table or jig position. That way you will always be able to get back to original threading position.
When turning the ball, position center where required, but after half way turning the ball, recheck position as you can still change it.

HazzaB
12th June 2012, 09:13 PM
Hey Neil,Looking good, I have sorted the problem, with my phone. Just got to get the iPad sorted. 8-)
ps. The ball bowl looks the part, hope you learned a few tricks for the next one

HazzaB

dai sensei
12th June 2012, 10:02 PM
... I have sorted the problem, with my phone. Just got to get the iPad sorted. 8-)

:2tsup:

artme
13th June 2012, 09:28 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

vtbao
17th June 2012, 08:13 PM
Nice ball. What do you think of a small ball handle on top of the lid?

dai sensei
17th June 2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry, but no, idea is to look like a ball not a box.