PDA

View Full Version : "toy" boats

Christopha
1st March 2005, 11:33 PM
(Apologies to Christopha - but the first parts of this thread are a few years old now (2005) - BUT I thought it worthy of bringing to the top again - lots of people are interested in boat models - so here is the place - MIK)

Ok, I have three grandsons and as the oldest is just about to turn 5 I reckon its' time that Pop built him a decent toy sailboat. Now I am not talking a chunka mallee shaped roughly like a boat on the bandsaw, I want to build him a nice sailer which will become a bit of an heirloom for the kid. His brothers will also get one when the time is appropriate. The 2foot skiff mentioned in the other thread is NOT a kids toy and while I really want to buid one it will be for the biggest kid of all..... ME!
OK, who can recommend a design please?

bitingmidge
2nd March 2005, 12:06 AM
Christopha,

OK, I'll fess up!

Here is page one of a plan I've had since 2000!

A classic pond sailer, the plans call call for it in solid balsa, but I have been meaning to get around to doing it in WRC, with a few highlights in Surian and maybe Paulownia (when I get a few scraps).

Because I can (and so can you!) I'll probably make the hull hollow(ish) jsut by drilling out the blocks before assembly, so that the finished boat will approach the weight of a balsa one, and I'll finish it clear.

I reckon it's a ripper, specially because it doesn't have Radio Control, but the article is obviously aimed at an entry level modeller, not craftsmen like you and I.

I've got the gears (scrounged from a derelict photo copier) and the lead (leaad flashing) and the mast (shaped it out of clear hoop rather than using a dowel...oh... and I've got the plans too!!

Let's know if you've any interest1

cheers,

P :D :D

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
2nd March 2005, 12:09 AM
I haven't got a plan for a boat , but how about an animated caterpillar? e-mail me [email protected] if you want it
paul

Caterpillar (http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/caterp2.jpg)

Daddles
2nd March 2005, 12:53 AM
One tip - make sure the hull is hollow and you put a bloody big hatch on it. Basically, make sure you can get into it to fit r/c later on. My own r/c yacht started life as a free float beast and took to the conversion very well, despite probably being completely unsuitable for the task.

There are kits in the shops and last time I looked, the prices were merely extortionate. Try Imagine If - I'm not recommending them as I haven't looked around but they do stock the kits.

And what about Violet? Give the kid a pack of sandpaper and point him towards the boat.

Cheers
Richard

bitingmidge
2nd March 2005, 08:17 AM
Richard,

I take your point on the RC, but I wouldn't go that way initially, because I think a fairly robust (or repairable) pond sailer will make that heirloom Christopha is talking about, while the RC stuff tends to fall into disrepair.

I have on my bookshelf the hull of a boat carved for me (and heavily used) when I was five, it still has the rusted tack in the bow which was used to tow it with a piece of fishing line.... plastic RC gear doesnt' tend to develop the same patina!

Be warned that model shops generally don't provide too much support for "scratch builders", they just love selling their kits!

I think the cheapest way of getting a scratch built boat Radio Controlled is to buy a crappy cheap plastic boat, and rob all the bits, although a mate of mine used the same technique by pulling apart a $30.00 RC car, and it doesn't come any cheaper than that!

cheers,

P

Christopha
2nd March 2005, 10:48 AM
Midgster me old china plate That little job looks just the "goods". :cool:
Richard, I definitely don't want RC, not for this Pop, if the boy wants to do that 1 day then it will be up to him as I shall probably have gone to the big boatshed in the sky :p
Paul, while Cat looks good I'm not sure of it sailing abilities. Also, do you think it may be able to be fitted with RC?? ;)

bitingmidge
3rd March 2005, 12:44 AM
Perhaps we should build in parallel and post progress on this very thread???

I suppose I have an advantage in that I have the plans! :D :D

Now as a diversion: I know it's not wood, and I know it's not sail, but I've had this hankering to build a Pop Pop Boat (http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/buildpop.htm) for quite some time, and it will probably take the advent of grandchildren to tip me over the edge...

If ever there was incentive to do a Cyclone, this would have to be it... I could use the left overs!

Cheers,

P :D :D

Cliff Rogers
3rd March 2005, 01:18 AM
...If ever there was incentive to do a Cyclone, this would have to be it... I could use the left overs!.... To build the cyclone or the pop-pop boat?

Here's a tip for pop-pop boat drivers..... 2 candles in a pop-pop boat is like putting nitro in the fuel of your car, it only goes a bit faster before it goes ****

POP! :D

sam63
3rd March 2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Christopha,

I am not a professional, but wooden boats are my passion as well. I am into building model boats as well as real one, when I get the time from work of course. I have recently finished a 12ft Sailing dinghy model scaled down to 1:10. I bought the plans from David Payne, and it was a learning practice for me. As a result, I took the hard way and replicated everything as if I was building the real thing. I am currently building another model boat. I downloaded the plans from Svenson boats page, and scaled down to 1:10 as well. It might me something to consider for your grandsons.

Cheers
Sam

Christopha
3rd March 2005, 09:00 AM
PICTURES SAM [B]PICTURES[SIZE=1] :D :D :D

Termite
3rd March 2005, 09:06 AM
Ok, I have three grandsons and as the oldest is just about to turn 5 I reckon its' time that Pop built him a decent toy sailboat.

Christopha, over some time you have managed to maintain the image of a hard insensitive cynical tough bloke, but I'm very much afraid that you have revealed a soft spot in your personality that some of the unscrupulous people on this Forum may take advantage of or poke fun at. Please refrain from further destroying the image that so many people appreciate. :rolleyes: :D

Christopha
3rd March 2005, 10:07 AM
Bugger! Perhaps I should log on as a nice softy called NotChristopha

bitingmidge
3rd March 2005, 10:15 PM
Because I have one or two projects very nearly finished and my list of started ones is commensurately diminished, I thought to myself as I drove into my garage and walked past my gear this evening:

"Self, you have a daughter getting married in this very house two weeks from now, why don't you start a new project?"

So I pulled out the plans for the boat above, found a bit of old WRC door jamb that I'd rescued from a skip, a scrap of Surian Cedar and a bit of Camphor that might do for a deck. (photo 1)

Didn't take too long to mill it, run it through the sander and have a bunch of raw materials just waiting to go. (photo 2)

I had a copy of the plans to cut up, and stuck the appropriate shape on each bit(one of each shape at least). Don't do this if you have the original plans, they are printed on both sides! In a few minutes on the bandsaw the bits were cut, all except for the centre stringer in Surian which needed a bit of laminating to get sufficient width for the keel. (photo 3)

Glued the hull bits in two halves (no glue in the centreline) and popped the stringer through the sander to bring it down to 4.5mm thick, then called it a night, (photo 4)

The original plans called for Balsa for the hulls, for lightness and also I suspect because it is easier to "model". I was going to cut hollows in each bit to reduce the weight, but figured I am not going to be racing anyone, and if I ever do, I'll just build a taller rig! :D

What will happen in our next exciting installment?

For that matter, when will our next exciting installment be?? :D

Cheers,

P (No hand tools were hurt in the filming of this construction).
:D :D :D

Wood Butcher
3rd March 2005, 10:35 PM
Now as a diversion: I know it's not wood, and I know it's not sail, but I've had this hankering to build a Pop Pop Boat for quite some time, and it will probably take the advent of grandchildren to tip me over the edge

My Dad and I built one of these of scrap timber and copper tube when I was about 5. He had a readers digest book on arts and craft that had plans in it. I remember taking it out to the local dam and lighting it up. After a couple of minutes it started to move. All we did was just stand ther and watch it leave. We had no intention of getting it back and watching it pop across the dam was great fun.

Speaking of which I am going to give the old bloke a call and see if he still has the plans. Need something to do with the kids this weekend and I have some scrap copper, ply and tealight candles in the shed. Hmmm

Christopha
3rd March 2005, 10:46 PM
amazing things the old "pop'pops" I remeber my uncle making them when I was a wee tacker..... fun, simple and intriguing!

bitingmidge
3rd March 2005, 10:52 PM
Speaking of which I am going to give the old bloke a call and see if he still has the plans. Need something to do with the kids this weekend and I have some scrap copper, ply and tealight candles in the shed. Hmmm
There was a site on the web with a wooden how-to and plans but sadly it's gone!

If you do get them, I'd love to get a copy??

Cheers,

P

Christopha
3rd March 2005, 11:06 PM
There was a site on the web with a wooden how-to and plans but sadly it's gone!

If you do get them, I'd love to get a copy??

Cheers,

P

Make that two copies please..... :D

Wood Butcher
3rd March 2005, 11:15 PM
Will do what I can. Let u know in a couple of days. Dads away tomorrow will look tomorrow night.

journeyman Mick
3rd March 2005, 11:37 PM
...........What will happen in our next exciting installment?

For that matter, when will our next exciting installment be?? :D

Let's see, that would be after the centralised dust collection system,a few pancake recipes, a wedding, a Derek Cohen sander/sharpener, a new bench with double end vice, finishing off the studio/shed/home theatre etc etc etc :D

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 01:08 AM
Let's see, that would be after the centralised dust collection system,a few pancake recipes, a wedding, a Derek Cohen sander/sharpener, a new bench with double end vice, finishing off the studio/shed/home theatre etc etc etc :D
Ummm... you forgot the Eureka Canoe (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=90804#post90804) and of course the skiff needs a coat of varnish, and I'm going to have to do something about building a proper rack in the boatshed for all this stuff I'm gathering too!!

P (But I must fix up the router table soon!)
:D

duckman
4th March 2005, 02:10 PM
My Dad and I built one of these of scrap timber and copper tube when I was about 5. He had a readers digest book on arts and craft that had plans in it. I remember taking it out to the local dam and lighting it up. After a couple of minutes it started to move. All we did was just stand ther and watch it leave. We had no intention of getting it back and watching it pop across the dam was great fun.

There's an article on building a pop-pop boat in a Reader's Digest book of mine. My book is titled Reader's Digest 101 Do-It-Yourself Projects. It was published in 1986.
If you or anyone else is interested I'll try and scan or photocopy or something the article in question.

Cheers,

Mark.

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 03:39 PM
Yes please Mark!

Cheers,

P

Christopha
4th March 2005, 04:38 PM
Yes please Mark!

Cheers,

P

Mark, maaaaate :D :D

Wood Butcher
4th March 2005, 08:33 PM
Will do what I can. Let u know in a couple of days. Dads away tomorrow will look tomorrow night.
Found the book with the plans. I will pick it up tomorrow morn and photocopy as needed. Please PM addresses so that I can post the plans to whoever wants a copy.

duckman
4th March 2005, 08:39 PM
OK fellas, here we go.

The love/hate relationship that I've had with my HP scanner for the last 4 years has now progressed to pathological hatred. :D That's me of the scanner although the feeling could be mutual.

I hope these scans turn out alright for you. There are 4 pictures zipped into a single file. Its around 1.8MB in size. If you're on dial-up and will be content with less resolution in order to reduce the size of the download, I'll endeavour to accommodate you, but please bear in mind that I"m no graphics guru.

I don't yet know how to upload files to this board so I've placed it in the web space I have with my ISP. The url is below.

Pop pop boat article (http://web.aanet.com.au/markd/Pics/poppop/poppop.zip)

Here's hoping it all works out. :cool:

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 09:40 PM
Duckman,

TOP WORK!!!

Now we need a Pop-Pop thread I reckon!! Who'll be the first to have one in the water??

I'll be the first to START!!

Cheers,

P :D

duckman
4th March 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm glad you got the file OK, Midge. I reckon you're right about pop-pop boats being the next big thing. :eek:

I haven't any kids, but 3 of my great nephews are at an age where a pop-pop boat could prove a big winner. :D

Christmas pressies on the cheap. I like it! :D

Wood Butcher
4th March 2005, 09:49 PM
Duckman,
This is the same article as the one I remember but the name of the book is different. Well Done.

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 09:53 PM
Back to the pond Sailer if I may~ :p

Tonight's photos:-

1) Time to bring out the hand tools :eek: to rough trim the deck outline on the hulls and mark a reference line for further shaping.

2) The patternmaker's vice fires it's first shot in anger!! Darned handy thing it is too!!

3) After 10 or so minutes with the spoke shave the hull form is starting to take shape, one "blank" side, one rough shaped.

4) Hull glued up ready for final shaping.

Now things slow down a bit, firstly I've decided to do a patterned deck, so will have to think about how and what....

Then there is the matter of finding hardware.. the gears for the steering that I pinched from an old photocopier years ago have gone into hiding, to resurface as soon as I parted with some readys for new ones.

I priced a pair at a hobby shot for use in RC cars :- $12.00 no thanks!! Then I realised that the Warehouse will surely have a clock for sale for $2.00 and who knows what other goodies will lurk inside as well as the two gears!

Where can I buy/find 50mm of 1.5mm ID brass or copper tube?? Maybe I'll use the ink tube from an old biro? (or buy a new parker imitation and get ink all over me).

That's it- we're up to date... about two and a half hours into the project I reckon.

Cheers,

P

echnidna
4th March 2005, 09:58 PM
Slow down Midge or you might actually finish a job. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Daddles
4th March 2005, 10:07 PM
Bloody Midge - another bloke who sweeps his workshop before taking photos. :D I'm still looking for the circular saw I dropped in the shavings last week. :eek:

Richard

Christopha
4th March 2005, 10:20 PM
Midgster, try the tube and matching rod for stained glass jewelry boxes.....

duckman
4th March 2005, 10:23 PM
Duckman,
This is the same article as the one I remember but the name of the book is different. Well Done.
That's cool. :cool:

I'm tipping that Reader's Digest pull articles from several published books, put them together and then give the 'new' book a new title and then flog it to the unsuspecting masses. :(

Gonna have to build a few of these boats myself...... :)

Cheers,

Mark.

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 10:43 PM
Slow down Midge or you might actually finish a job. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nah... this is the fast bit!

Finally tonight a pic of the fair (almost fair) hull with a coat of sanding sealer. One of the good things about clear finishing boats is that the timber grain takes the eye away from the bumps, there's a bit of work to do in the bow, but only a few minutes with some 120 grit.

Christopha... I reckon it'll come up a corker for a fiveyear old, it's a perfect size for a "proper" sailing boat, and it's quite robust as well. (In WRC!)

Cheers,

P

echnidna
4th March 2005, 11:06 PM
Bloody Midge - another bloke who sweeps his workshop before taking photos. :D I'm still looking for the circular saw I dropped in the shavings last week. :eek:

Richard

Know the feeling !!

bitingmidge
4th March 2005, 11:23 PM
Be gentle with me chaps! :p :p

Don't forget the workshop is actually part of the house, so one has to do one's best to keep walking stuff inside, or one's disconnected but none-the-less valued private bits may find themselves going through a jointer closely followed by oneself!!

Strange how dust can turn a woman!

The epoxy coating on the floor helps to hide stuff in the photos too! ;)

Cheers,

P :D

bitingmidge
5th March 2005, 08:43 PM
What better way to finish of a day of doing "Satdy stuff" than to progress the little fella a bit further!

Pulled out a bit of lead flashing I scrounged yonks ago for this very purpose and cut it to size, dressed it round the bottom half of the keel, then pinned it with a couple of brass tacks.

Next will inject epoxy down the few hairline gaps at the leading and trailing edge (with a syringe), and give the outside of the ballast a bit of a coat with epoxy bog to encapsulate the lead and make it a bit fairer.

1) I love this patternmaker's vice! Used upside-down this time holding in the small jaw dressing the lead to the shape of the keel.

2) Did I mention that I love the patternmaker's vice? Crimping the trailing edge of the keel.

3) Can't have enough masking when you are playing with epoxy!

Christopha
6th March 2005, 09:17 PM
Looking good Midgster

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2005, 08:33 PM
....the gears for the steering that I pinched from an old photocopier years ago have gone into hiding,..... .....Then I realised that the Warehouse will surely have a clock for sale for $2.00 and who knows what other goodies will lurk inside as well as the two gears!...
G'day

Describe for me, in pictures less than a 1000words, the cogs/gears you need/require/desire. I have several bits of computer printer 'good junk' that may do the job for the princely sum of a beer & a stamp. ;)

Approx number of teeth/diam etc.

Don't count on finding any gears in any clock at the whorehoure, the $2 ones are all digital nowdays. :(

bitingmidge
7th March 2005, 09:35 PM
Cliff,

The plans are a bit skinny on the detail, as I said I had a pair from a photocopier and think they could have been perfect but lost 'em!!

Plastic, the big one is probably about 30mm max dia, but size doesn't matter! We need a 2:1 ratio or there abouts, loads are very light - to quote the plans:
...basically just two gears, with one having twice the number of teeth of the other, but of course meshing with it. Nylon gears are probably the best, but clock wheels could be used if thick enough and if they can be fitted without free play or wobble. The larger gear is secured to the rudder stock and the smaller fitted on a brass nail or length of wire so that it meshes with the large one, but can be lifted upward out of mesh, droped back into mesh in a different place

Cheers,

P (fingers crossed! I did get a couple of gears out of a servo but they aren't much bigger than a threepence so might be a bit hard to work!)

Cheers,

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2005, 10:42 PM
OK!!!!!! 57Kgs of junk printer parts are in the mail..... COD :D

Only joking..... the nice lady at the post office says she doen't know where Mountain Creek Qld "The Home of the Biting Midge" is. :(

bitingmidge
7th March 2005, 10:55 PM
Only joking..... the nice lady at the post office says she doen't know where Mountain Creek Qld "The Home of the Biting Midge" is. :(

What is she, a Victorian???

Mountain Creek shares the same Post Code as the lesser known Mooloolaba, I think this is only so the people living in Mooloolaba can get the benefit of our cheaper land valuations. :D :D :D

Cheers,

P

Cliff Rogers
7th March 2005, 11:04 PM
I think it was the bit about the "The Home of the Biting Midge" that tossed her....

bitingmidge
11th March 2005, 09:43 PM
I think it was the bit about the "The Home of the Biting Midge" that tossed her....

Hmmm... now I see why!

Some days the trip to the Post Office is not at all entertaining. Today was not one of those days!

Many thanks, and if anyone needs the other 56.9 kg of plastic gears for their version, let me know!!

cheers,

P

bitingmidge
9th April 2005, 07:06 PM
Well I KNOW it's been a month since I last made any progress on the little 'un ... but we've had things going down!!

In response to all those PM's :rolleyes: (you lot are worse than a wife!!), here's where she's up to.

Keel ballast is now leaded and faired (took a zillion coats of primer, a bit of wood filler and a couple of coats of silver frost... not perfect (bugger!) but looks ok, and this isn't meant to be a museum piece after all.

Tonight as the pic shows, I ripped some WRC and glued some 2mm thick bits together for the deck, in three pieces with small strips of Surian between to give a bit of a lift. I'm thinking of doing a Surian strip like a bit of guitar purfling round the deck perimeter, but I'll lie down soon and hopefully those thoughts will go away.

Cheers,

P

bitingmidge
17th April 2005, 08:47 PM
A week of pontification... all the hard bits had to be nutted out!!

Deck was glued in place and sanded flat, then two coats of Poly slapped on the whole lot as a sealer/protector while the rest of the work is done.

Decided that the deck does need a gunwhale strip, so will pluck up the courage and route a 4mm deep by 2mm wide strip and inlay some Surian. I need the practice for future instrument making anyway!!

Then the wind vane feather. 0.8mm thick Camphor, because there was a bit lying round and I thought I could make it thin enough. It's the tongue depressor shaped thing in the photos, only a wipe-on coat of lacqure though because it has to stay light!

Gears. No matter what combination I tried I couldn't get a pair light enough. Eventually I put a bolt through the axle hole, bunged 'em in the drill press and using the vice as a steady, sliced them down to size using a very sharp chisel.
Then of course I couldn't work out how I was going to secure then to a shaft which was at least half the diameter. After much cogitation, I decided to drill the holes out till they fitted a standard wall plug.. Brilliant!!! Now the shafts are a firm push fit!!

Drilling the hole for the rudder :eek: I left this till now because I wanted a perfectly plumb hole.... with the boat upside down on the drill press table, I filed a bit of the rudder shaft tube to sort of approximate a forstner bit...(OK I just made it a bit jagged).. then lined it up against the fin, and drilled. Perfect!!

Pics show gears in various stages of undress... the ones with the red plugs in them are the keepers! Also a general view of what's going on with the deck.

The Paint is a bit rough now, but will get a lot more sanding!!

Cheers,

P

bitingmidge
17th April 2005, 10:29 PM
While waiting for a bit of software to update:

Trimmed off the rudder tube and trial fitted all the stuff.

The gear attached to the wind vane is fixed with a machine screw tapped straight into the hull, and has about 4mm play so it can be lifted over the rudder gear and re-set to match the wind angle.

The nice thing is that it's all push-fit, so can be adjusted quite easily... time will tell whether it is up to the job though! I suspect so, loads won't be extreme!

Blondie Hasler eat your heart out!!

Hasler, who is credited with being one of the inventors of the modern steering vane, used a trim tab on the outboard rudder of Jester.

(Sorry the photo is over-exposed... I'll do better in a later post!)
Cheers,

P

echnidna
17th April 2005, 10:33 PM
A week of pontification... all the hard bits had to be nutted out!!

Cheers,

P

If Midge is pontificating is he after the job?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cliff Rogers
18th April 2005, 12:48 PM
When are the sea trials?

Daddles
18th April 2005, 03:29 PM
When are the sea trials?

Next time he has a bath. Should be this decade, even if he doesn't need one. :D

Richard

Boatmik
10th February 2008, 04:04 PM
This was a great thread... why isn't it up near the top???

MIK

bitingmidge
10th February 2008, 05:44 PM
'cause I haven't finished it yet?

P
:D:D:D

Boatmik
10th February 2008, 06:23 PM
What I was sorta interested in was the general idea of small boats and modelmaking - whether they are destined to ever get wet or not.

Midge - we have talked about models a lot - after all your model of the GIS was the first finished boat I had seen at that time - how long ago now.

The other thing was the model you whacked together of the first version of the rowboat.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Rowboat/rowboat4.jpg

Here they are together

When designing I often use a mix of my own understanding and the computer image on the screen, looked at from lots of different "angles" to make sure there are no funny illusions - some lines can become quite S shaped if you are not careful.

But when I design something for the first time and it is a bit different from boats I have designed in the past then I often print out the panel shapes on cardboard using a computer printer. Cut it out and sticky tape it together.

Good method for a quick and more trustworthy check.

And then model boating in itself - the watery types of model ... great!

Midge - can you put some more pics up of that gorgeous 7ft tall Sydney Skiff model once you have the site updated again.

It sits just inside a corner window near the junction of the study and the living room. A downlight above. It's meant to sail - but it also looks REALLY good.

Michael

Walesey
10th February 2008, 09:44 PM
What a great thread!

Thanks Mik for bringing it back to the top. :)

Midge, It took me a while before I realised that the majority of the thread was dated 2005. I had been getting very depressed on seeing Hairy's second canoe progress reports, and then after reading your lightning fast build of the model sail boat I was getting all depressed again, untill I read your comment that it is NOT FINISHED yet! My faith in myself is restored! (Yet another weekend has gone by without touching the Eureka seats:no:) (Grand Dad has been a bit scarce since Christmas, and so the boys are depending on me for motivation. Always a big mistake!)

So has the toy boat progressed any since the last pics in 2005?

I am intrigued at the vane controlled steering. How does that work? It looks fascinating. :)

In keeping with the Model Boat theme, I have included a pic of what Grand Dad does in His spare time (When not building Eureka Canoes) :U This one definitely does NOT get wet, although the tackle works! :2tsup:

regards

Walesey

bitingmidge
10th February 2008, 09:53 PM
In short, yes, it has progressed, and no... it hasn't.

All it needs is a mast and sail, and I had the mast ready to go, but I built some whistles last year and the mast was exactly the right diameter to fit inside and tune them. Oops!

It's sitting there waiting for a bit of a sand and some varnish, and it looks as though I've got a bit of a varnish job coming up soon too!

I have only got to glue up the Eureka seats now, just exactly as they were in December!

Aaargh! (but the websites (http://www.peterhyndman.com/GIS/) are renovated and the eureka one is coming soon!)

Cheers,

P

Boatmik
10th February 2008, 11:34 PM
Howdy Walesey,

What type of boat is it? Lateen rigs like a dhow - maybe it is.

Or is it a Portogee (Portuguese) boat?

Ask Grandad for me.

MIK

b.o.a.t.
18th February 2008, 01:21 AM
What a great thread!

Thanks Mik for bringing it back to the top. :)

Midge, It took me a while before I realised that the majority of the thread was dated 2005.
<SNIPPO>
Walesey

What Walesey said.
Plus
I shakes me head when I read that you weren't happy with the finish of the paint work. Me, I'm just happy when it turns out shiny like on the tin. (not quite so happy if it is shiny & the tin says "satin finish" but that's a whole 'nuther story...)
cheers
AJ

Walesey
21st February 2008, 04:32 PM
Howdy Walesey,

What type of boat is it? Lateen rigs like a dhow - maybe it is.

Or is it a Portogee (Portuguese) boat?

Ask Grandad for me.

MIK

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Mik.
You are correct. Al Bahran is a model of a lateen rig dhow. Apparently such ships were commonly used as Arab trading vessles in the Red Sea , and Persian Gulf and the East coast of Africa. They were often armed to defend against pirates, etc :o

Grand Dad purchased the kit from "The MODELER'S SHIPYARD" at Nowra, NSW. It is a "Corel" ship. If you "google" "Al Bahran" you will get the Corel site and see lots of other nice ships! (Grand Dad is currently working on the "Half Moon") (Might be a while before the Eureka gets her seats finished!) :(

Walesey :)

Pagie
21st February 2008, 07:32 PM
What about one a bit bigger? One of these can be made to sail if you want.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/62387952_1b80f81ff9.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/28879446_ce1eee378a.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/62387954_4b101eb860.jpg

bitingmidge
21st February 2008, 08:37 PM
Pics are no good without plans Pagie, fabulous things! Are there plans our did you make them up?

P

Pagie
22nd March 2008, 02:03 PM
Just made them up.. Not hard to do just cut out bottom and fit straight sides on. Automatic rocker. Put in seats/air chambers in, glue and tape and paint.

bikervoodoo
22nd May 2008, 02:59 PM
I believe this http://www.digmodern.com/product/5791BRO/Readers_Digest_101_Doityourself_Projects.html was the book referred to earlier.

There was a yacht project in it, as well as a Thames barge. All DIY and from simple components and wood. My school library had a copy.