PDA

View Full Version : So Guys...What comes after buying a shaper?

Graziano
10th June 2012, 09:16 PM
So all you shaper owners, who wants to get a gear shaper next??:D.

Gear Cutting, Brunkerville Engineering, Gear Design & Transmission Failure Analysis. - YouTube

Stustoys
10th June 2012, 10:46 PM
Well I was going to say "Generally a lot of cleaning":D
Could be a little tricky free hand grinding the cutter for that one.

Stuart

Graziano
11th June 2012, 10:35 AM
Well I was going to say "Generally a lot of cleaning":D
Could be a little tricky free hand grinding the cutter for that one.

Stuart

Stu: no matter how carefully I word the posting title, there always seems to be at least two extra meanings sneak in :rolleyes:.

You see those cutters on US Ebay from time to time for about $30 or so, I'm not sure they could be sharpened on the face again due to the tooth relief, let alone doing a freehand grind. I do like the concept of having only one cutter to do all gears for a given tooth profile. I suppose those spiral gear hobs have the same advantage too. Hmm there's a kit gear shaper castings on the inter-tubes somewhere, might be a good project later on.

azzrock
11th June 2012, 01:16 PM
some where to rest your stubbie

matthew_g
11th June 2012, 03:26 PM

Your not insinuating that anyone here drinks are you?:rolleyes:

Ueee
11th June 2012, 07:26 PM

Yeah cast iron is good for keeping your drinks cold, just don't sit your coffee on cast it goes cold real quick!

4-6-4
11th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Greetings Chaps, That is the niftiest piece of gear cutting. If Ihad the work I would want one. What breed is it and do both the cutter and the blank revolve. Yours4-6-4

4-6-4
11th June 2012, 11:06 PM
Its OK chaps I read The further information tag. 4-6-4

Steamwhisperer
11th June 2012, 11:09 PM
Not sure of the breed but both the cutter and blank revolve.

Phil

Dammit. Typing too slow again

Grahame Collins
11th June 2012, 11:25 PM
STOP!!!:((:((

Stop it right now!! Some of us need to catch up.

Is there no end to it?:doh:

I have not even got to a milling machine yet.:(
The vehicles live outside, I can't move in the shed (garage )

In desperation I have started cleaning up my benches.:-
Actually took stuff TO the dump - not the other way as usual.

And that gentlemen is really desperate.:?

I wonder if she would notice just a little mill in the house:rolleyes:

Grahame

shedhappens
11th June 2012, 11:27 PM
It would be interesting to see it cut 4140 instead of plastic

Steamwhisperer
11th June 2012, 11:46 PM
I wonder if she would notice just a little mill in the house:rolleyes:

Grahame

Grahame,
You could try, but......

Phil

Ueee
12th June 2012, 01:09 AM
It would be interesting to see it cut 4140 instead of plastic

Its not really that different to a shaper cutting gears, only it is cutting multiple at once. I would think it would cut any material you could throw at it with the correctly shaped cutting edges.

Graziano
12th June 2012, 10:21 AM
Graeme, if it's any consolation, I'm already structuring the contents of my shed like a submarine to have any room to work. Some guy on Practical Machinist had a CNC mill in the bedroom operated by his wife to fulfil a contract, strange stuff can occur when money is to be made :).

I've been doing a bit of reading on gear shaping, it's claimed to produce a better gear with more accurate teeth profiles to make a gear that runs quieter than milled gears. I can see why that would be the case if you ran the cutter against the gear for at least a few revolutions.

So it remains to be seen if any Fellowes 6A gear shapers are out there in the wild with a stack of gear cutters going cheap. It would be a great bit of equipment to own.

Ueee
12th June 2012, 11:42 AM
Graeme, if it's any consolation, I'm already structuring the contents of my shed like a submarine to have any room to work. Some guy on Practical Machinist had a CNC mill in the bedroom operated by his wife to fulfil a contract, strange stuff can occur when money is to be made :).

I've been doing a bit of reading on gear shaping, it's claimed to produce a better gear with more accurate teeth profiles to make a gear that runs quieter than milled gears. I can see why that would be the case if you ran the cutter against the gear for at least a few revolutions.

So it remains to be seen if any Fellowes 6A gear shapers are out there in the wild with a stack of gear cutters going cheap. It would be a great bit of equipment to own.

One of my first shaper challenges is to cut gears using the base circle method. It will be a bit slower then the fellowes machine though! Of course when it comes to making my gearbox i will need multiple's of some gears which i will be able to cut at once.

PDW
12th June 2012, 11:46 AM

A shop not far from my Sydney house closed down maybe 2 years ago. He had 3 Fellowes gear shapers (and a lot of other stuff). I took a look at them and the other stuff he had for sale but simply didn't need any of it enough to buy it. So yes, the machines certainly do exist in Australia and come up for sale.

WRT machines in the house, I've got a small lathe and mill in the back room of my house in Tasmania. Very convenient on cold days, saves opening up the big shed. The chips are a damn nuisance though so I may move those machines to join their brethren at some point. Polished wooden floors, bare feet & sharp metal is not a real good combination.

PDW

Graziano
12th June 2012, 11:26 PM
A shop not far from my Sydney house closed down maybe 2 years ago. He had 3 Fellowes gear shapers (and a lot of other stuff). I took a look at them and the other stuff he had for sale but simply didn't need any of it enough to buy it. So yes, the machines certainly do exist in Australia and come up for sale.
PDW

Did you find out the asking price on the gear shapers?.

PDW
13th June 2012, 09:29 AM
Did you find out the asking price on the gear shapers?.

No, I didn't bother. I was more interested in the slotter and other stuff he had for sale but none of it appealed, the slotter was the same as the one I already had.

While I wouldn't mind having a gear shaper, it's a long way down my list of desirable acquisitions.

PDW

Greg Q
13th June 2012, 07:09 PM
...buying a metal spectrometer for mystery metal analysis. Or that extra special European three jaw. Or maybe a hardness tester?

Greg