PDA

View Full Version : big old timber doors

Sigidi
2nd March 2005, 10:54 AM
Can anyone help???

I'm looking for two big, old, chunky, bank entrace type doors. Anyone got any leads on where one might find some.

They will be installed in Brissy, but the bloke (a good friend of mine) is happy to look farther afield and will obviously pay a good price for a good bit of timber.

Any thoughts of any demo places which may have such stuff, or auction houses etc.

Or my other option is to get recycled timber from a bank and make him some doors :rolleyes:

mic-d
2nd March 2005, 02:29 PM
You might try the Big Red Shed at Sumner Park
Cheers
Michael

namtrak
2nd March 2005, 02:36 PM
Maybe take some photos of old bank doors (make sure your not busted for casing the joint) and whip them up yourself. Theres more than enough examples of 4 panel doors in these forums - just on a slightly bigger scale. And you can either get 2nd hand timber or 'age' new timber yourself

ozwinner
2nd March 2005, 07:59 PM
I'm looking for two big, old, chunky, bank entrace type doors. Anyone got any leads on where one might find some.

Try a bank.

Al :confused:

wombat47
3rd March 2005, 05:39 AM
You could try Select Salvage in Victoria - www.selectsalvage.com.au

If they don't have exactly what you want, they might be able to put you in touch with someone who might.

Sigidi
3rd March 2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah Ok bank is a logical place to start excepting getting seen as casing the joint!!!

But I was sort of wishing I could get the doors and not have to make them myself as this will be a long drawn out process as compared to just swinging some used ones - which might prove to be a long process too!

Wombat thanks am looking into Select and Mike I've contacted red shed too thanks guys.

Any more leads?

wombat47
4th March 2005, 06:25 AM
You might also contact some of the demolition companies in Brisbane - they should be able to tell you who they sell the good stuff to.

You could try contacting the head offices of the banks - they should have an office which is responsible for buildings/properties.

The National Trust might also be able to offer advice, and it could be worth keeping a lookout in the Trading Post (online is easier than paper version).

You might also try advertising - it's amazing what people can have stashed away.

rastus4
12th April 2006, 10:52 PM
Can anyone help???

They will be installed in Brissy, but the bloke (a good friend of mine) is happy to look farther afield and will obviously pay a good price for a good bit of timber.

Any thoughts of any demo places which may have such stuff, or auction houses etc.

Or my other option is to get recycled timber from a bank and make him some doors :rolleyes:

rastus4
12th April 2006, 10:56 PM
have 2 pair "National" with glass in top. offers ????

Ben (TM)
13th April 2006, 11:16 AM
have 2 pair "National" with glass in top. offers ????
Got any pictures?

stevek
17th April 2006, 01:21 AM
I have seen a pair of large wooden doors with surrounds, like you'd expect as the entrance to an old English pub, so I'm not really sure if it's worth checking out - anyway, it was at "Lizzie's Place" at South Brisbane.