PDA

View Full Version : Wife needs help

shaunburgess
2nd March 2005, 11:34 AM
My Wife, yes Wife, loves wood turning and has her own lathe in her own workshop (best way of keeping her out of mine). She currently uses her grandfathers turning chisels, which are basically worn out, i would like to buy her some new ones but need to know a place where i can get decent chisels from some one who knows what they are talking about in Sydney (southern highlands)I don't know anything about turning but would like to encourage my wife.

Zed
2nd March 2005, 11:51 AM
P&N make a good chisel. I dont know where hilltop is so cant recommend a dealer, try carbatech, Mik, Trend Timbers to name a few. some of the memberss hereabouts may even have some to sell...

shaunburgess
2nd March 2005, 11:56 AM
sorry, hilltop is in the Southern Highlands of NSW, lovely green place it is. Although i am willing to travel aroung the Sydney area. I have never seen carbatech in NSW although i will look the others up on the Web.

reeves
2nd March 2005, 12:44 PM
heaps here

http://www.vwa.org.au/list_toolsup.htm

buying online is fine try here

http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/index.html

cheeeeeers

Chisel
2nd March 2005, 12:46 PM
There's also a Carbatech in Canberra (Fyshwick) - not so far from southern highlands (me mum lives at Berrima).

Ross
2nd March 2005, 02:48 PM
My Wife, yes Wife, loves wood turning and has her own lathe in her own workshop (best way of keeping her out of mine). She currently uses her grandfathers turning chisels, which are basically worn out, i would like to buy her some new ones but need to know a place where i can get decent chisels from some one who knows what they are talking about in Sydney (southern highlands)I don't know anything about turning but would like to encourage my wife.

Carba-tec Sydney carry the Hamlet range (ring and get them to mail you a catalogue), Hare & Forbes and Trend have the P&N chisels. You could visit all 3 on a saturday morning.

I use Hamlet myself, I found the P&N chisels lost their edge too quickly, I have not used Sorbys but I have heard good things about them.

Hope this helps

Ross

Babytoolman
2nd March 2005, 03:34 PM
Shaun,
I am a member of the Southern Highlands woodturners guild (next meeting is 26th march). I live in the camden area. I bought my P&N tools from Trend Timbers in Windsor. They are great tools and are made to last. Carba-tec is in silverwater/guilford area. there are many places to get them from. Leigh from Woodeze can help you he is online. So is caroll's.

Roger.

smidsy
2nd March 2005, 08:03 PM
Hei Shaun,
When you get to top end tools like Hamlet & P&N you will never get a common consensus.
I personally think Hamlet is they way to go - beautiful handles, excellent steel, sharp straight out the pack, nicely balanced and a great feel in your (or your wifes) hands.

What it comes down to is which brand feels best in your wifes hand, so as much as you would like to suprise her maybe you should find a shop with several brands and let her choose.
Cheers
Paul

scooter
2nd March 2005, 10:57 PM
Given the thread's title, I thought shaun's post was going to begin with...

...starting the lawnmower

Cheers...........Sean, pro equal opportunity

gatiep
3rd March 2005, 02:17 AM
Hey Shaun

I would like to recommend a basic set in Hamlet. 19 mm roughing gouge, 25 mm diamond parting tool, 13 mm standard spindle gouge ( sharpened to finger nail ), for a lady 10 mm standard bowl gouge ( Hamlet are superfluted anyway ), for a guy a 13 mm bowl gouge ( sharpened to a semi finger nail ), 25 mm oval skew, a
25 mm round end scraper and 25 mm square end scraper.

With the above kit one can do basically all everyday turning. This will come to quite a bit, I suggest buying the 3 gouges, then add the others in ones or twos at a time.Possibly follow the gouges with the skew and parting tool and then finally the scrapers.There are heaps of other tools in the range but I do not class them as essential.

Carbatec in Sydney or Canberra will have the Hamlets. If she does not like the Hamlets, she'll be the first person that I know of.

Enjoy your respective hobbies and most of all have fun.

Cya

:)

Jim Carroll
3rd March 2005, 08:01 AM
Before you go buying tools have a look at what she likes to turn and buy the size tools to suit.
I have all the larger size tools for the work i do but the blond prefers to turn smaller peices so uses the smaller size tools not the miniture ones.
10mm spindle, 10mm bowl etc.
Get your wife to check out the handled versions first to see if they are comfortable. Most women have smaller hands and need smaller handles so she may have to make her own or take the handles of the tools she has and replace with new gouges.

shaunburgess
3rd March 2005, 08:36 AM
Thank's guys for your help, i think we have booked a trip to Trend timbers, but as i work in Parramatta i think a trip to Carba-tec at Silverwater could be the go as well. I will check out Caroll's website. The biggest thing i think though is to take her a let her decide.

rsser
12th March 2005, 04:43 PM
The biggest thing i think though is to take her a let her decide.

Dead right!!

Kris.Parker1
21st March 2005, 12:09 PM
Better to let them think they are in charge right?