PDA

View Full Version : Cold Food Smoker

Woodlice
2nd March 2005, 12:44 PM
Hi all

Anyone have a plan for a cold smoker? Gotta use all these wood shavings somewhere other than the garden cause I reckon it will strip too much nitrogen out the soil, and the worm farm is full enough... I can use the webber for a hot smoker, but the food has to be consumed too quickly.

I have a fair idea on how to make one, but I'd rather have dimensions for a tried and true. Rather not have food poison, if you know what I mean.

Its a good excuse to make beef jerky and smoked almonds/cashews.

Cheers
J!

Chisel
2nd March 2005, 12:51 PM
I've never built one - but was interested a few years ago and even assembled some of the bits. I don't have plans but the essential ingredient for a cold smoker was a longish section of pipe between the fire and the food (so it could cool and there was no direct heat).

You can build any sort of fire chamber and connect it (via a pipe) to a smoking chamber which has trays for the food and a smoke outlet.

But best to get some plans - and smoking instructions - I wouldn't want to see you poison your self.

Woodlice
2nd March 2005, 06:32 PM
Hi Chisel

Why did you stop?

There is a verge collection this year sometime. I was thinking about picking up a really old fridge (with out the plastic) and cutting a hole in the bottom and top. Then using a length of pipe (with a hood) for the hot end.

What do you reckon? Did you make the food box from zinc plated tin? I was thinking about this. Prop it on a trolley.

What would you make the pipe out of? I think you'd wanna avoid pvc.

J!

journeyman Mick
2nd March 2005, 11:29 PM
Woodlouse,
a couple of things to beware of:
A lot of commercially sourced timber is been treated for lyctus beetle (borers) and may prove toxic. I don't throw any offcuts on the barbie unless I had the timber milled myself. You may need to collect your smoking sawdust seperately.

Any paint, zinc coating or insulation residues inside an old fridge may also prove toxic.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on any of this but do know that most compounds end up being more toxic when broken down in a smokey fire. Better safe than sorry, you don't want to be making toxic kippers now! :eek:

Mick

Woodlice
2nd March 2005, 11:34 PM
Ah, too true.

I'll have to be carefull at each turn then.

J!

gazh
9th March 2005, 12:14 PM
A book called smoking food by Ricky M Gribling. I picked one up from a camping store here in Albany

Woodlice
10th March 2005, 01:34 AM
Cheers gazh, I'll look it up.

J!

Kris.Parker1
17th March 2005, 05:20 PM
You might want to check this site out. For a small price they can email you excellent plans. I ahven't used them myself, but it might be worth a shot.

Cheers

Kris

Woodlice
17th March 2005, 07:14 PM
Which site?

Thanks
J!

Kris.Parker1
18th March 2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry mate, had a brain fart. Try it this time.

http://www.smokehouseplan.com/More_Info.html

Cheers

Kris
:o

Woodlice
20th March 2005, 09:49 PM
Awesome, thats just what I want!

Cheers for that Kris.

J!

Kris.Parker1
21st March 2005, 09:31 AM
Hope everything turns out. Post some pics when you're done so we can hae a look at your masterpiece.

Cheers

Kris

Santalum
17th April 2005, 08:58 AM
Check this link (http://www.australianoutdoors.com/cold%20smoker.htm), the smoker could be modified to be as basic or as elaborate as you like.
Jon.