PDA

View Full Version : Latching a sliding door

mic-d
2nd March 2005, 02:41 PM
Anybody got suggestions for how to latch an internal timber sliding door which slides on the adjacent room's wall? That is, the latch needs to be on the door frame side. I thought of using a small barrel bolt mounted on the face of the door frame and throwing into a hole on the face of the door - ugly but effective. Less ugly means sought!
Cheers
Michael

jackiew
2nd March 2005, 03:12 PM
Are you trying to hold the door shut just to keep out draughts or to actually stop someone else opening it?

I'm having problems visualising how the door and the frame overlap/touch from your description. Any chance of a sketch?

Gumby
2nd March 2005, 03:24 PM
I have a cavity sliding door and have been wondering how best to put on a latch. I've been looking at this site which may help you.

http://www.cowdroy.com.au/doorfurniture.html

simon c
2nd March 2005, 04:03 PM
That's quite tricky:

The options I can think of are:
1. bolt as you suggest but very ugly.
2. a strike plate sticking out from the door frame and then a normal sliding door latch
3. A floor bolt - this could be just a normal bolt or it could be foot operated to avoid having to lean down
4. an "Espagnolette" which is sort of like a floor/ceiling bolt but the mechanism is at hand level. These are a bit tricky to install.
5. just a normal hook that drops into an eye

It depends if this is just a privacy lock or if you want some form of mild security

mic-d
2nd March 2005, 04:06 PM
The door slides on a track mounted on one room's wall, it's not a cavity sliding door. The latch needs to go on the other side of the door, not in the room in which the door is mounted. So a barrell bolt mounted horizontally on the door jamb and throwing into the door is one option.

Cheers
Michael

Gumby
2nd March 2005, 04:22 PM
Oh S**t !

I knew I'd waste that 1000th post.

Oh well, 2000 beckons. :D :D :D :D

mic-d
2nd March 2005, 04:22 PM
That's quite tricky:

The options I can think of are:
1. bolt as you suggest but very ugly.
2. a strike plate sticking out from the door frame and then a normal sliding door latch
3. A floor bolt - this could be just a normal bolt or it could be foot operated to avoid having to lean down
4. an "Espagnolette" which is sort of like a floor/ceiling bolt but the mechanism is at hand level. These are a bit tricky to install.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers
Michael

Termite
2nd March 2005, 04:41 PM
Oh S**t !

I knew I'd waste that 1000th post.

Oh well, 2000 beckons. :D :D :D :D

Dont worry mate, I went past mine yesterday without even noticing untill ryanarcher sent me a greenie. :D

Gumby
2nd March 2005, 05:45 PM
Dont worry mate, I went past mine yesterday without even noticing untill ryanarcher sent me a greenie. :D

I hope that made you feel better.

tell 'ya what, I'll give you one if you give me one and I'll race you to 2000. last one there is a you know what.......... :)

Barry_White
2nd March 2005, 05:56 PM
I have a cavity sliding door and have been wondering how best to put on a latch. I've been looking at this site which may help you.

http://www.cowdroy.com.au/doorfurniture.html
Gumby

The first one in the list is ideal for cavity sliders. I have them on 3 cavity sliders in my place and with the flip out pull it allows the door to slide right back into the cavity.

Mic-d

The sliding screen door latch would be ok for your application and would look better than a barrel bolt. Or even the sliding glass door lock if you want to operate it from both sides.

Jacksin
2nd March 2005, 06:28 PM
In old style Housing Trust homes in SA I have seen a latch similar in principle but much smaller than an aluminium sliding door latch. However I dont know if they are made any more.

Screw slot outside (to open it in emergencies) small lever inside, basically a privacy latch.
Good Luck
Jack ;)

Gumby
2nd March 2005, 07:38 PM
Gumby

The first one in the list is ideal for cavity sliders. I have them on 3 cavity sliders in my place and with the flip out pull it allows the door to slide right back into the cavity.

having successfully hijacked this thread (without the help of uncle Al :D ), can you tell me if those latch handles will replace the normal recessed handles I have put on at the moment ? Is the hole in the door going to be the same ?

Barry_White
2nd March 2005, 07:54 PM
To fit the latch you actually cut a piece out of the edge of the door 57mm x 57mm. Depending on the size of the finger pull you have on your doors. I have some that have a recess of 100mm long but if I had to replace them I would cut a flat slot and fix a piece of timber in it and then cut out the piece to take the new latch.