PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe Advice

Arry
13th June 2012, 01:34 AM
Hi guys

I have been into woodworking for a few years now and I have most of the power tools except a lathe.

I have really been thinking about it a lot lately and I would love to get into woodturning.

Can someone please suggest a nice beginners lathe and a nice set of woodturning chisels if there is such a thing.

Cheers

PS I am located in Perth

Jim Carroll
13th June 2012, 09:59 AM
Arry first consideration is budget, how much do you want to spend.

Second is what do you want to do with the lathe, spindle turning requires a long bed , faceplate turning reguires a decent centre height.

Do you want to buy cheap and keep upgrading or buy good and buy once.

As an all round lathe on a moderate budget of 2k the Nova 1624 lathe (http://cws.au.com/shop/item/nova-1624-44-lathe) with the Robert Sorby starter kit (http://cws.au.com/shop/item/robert-sorby-67hs-starter-set)and the Vicmarc VM100 scroll chuck (http://cws.au.com/shop/item/vicmarc-vm100-scroll-chuck)

You can go cheaper if you want and that would be the lathe, you can also get better and again that is the lathe.

Scott
13th June 2012, 10:14 AM
Jim has provided the perfect advise here. Your budget is the key though. If you were to have a decent budget then I would go for the Vicmarc range of lathes (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/-vicmarc-lathes).

hughie
13th June 2012, 10:16 AM
A lot has to do with what you want to turn and of course your budget. H ave look at this article below might be of some help.

nz_carver
13th June 2012, 12:17 PM
As one who whent down this road I'd have to say take Jim's advice
I started off cheap and it cost me

I have the nova 1624 and it's a grate allround lathe

jimbur
13th June 2012, 12:27 PM
The Woodfast range are good. Many on this forum swear by them (not at them)
Have a look at their site:
Woodfast Machinery Co. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. - (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5)
cheers,
Jim

Arry
13th June 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks heaps guys, I will have a look and unpack all of this information.

Cheers

PS I failed to mention that whilst I would love to spend that kind of money. SWMBO would kill me.

Budget would be $500 to $1,000.

Is that just a waste of money or can I get something sort of decent?

Maybe even second hand?

Cheers

petersemple
13th June 2012, 04:39 PM
I started on an MC900 and still have it. I imagine one day that I might upgrade, but for a beginner it isn't a bad lathe. I got mine at Carba-tec, but others stock the same one.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-economy-woodlathes_c14630

TTIT
13th June 2012, 04:46 PM
Your budget won't buy you much from the showroom but could get you a ripper used machine if you look around enough - thanks to the demographics of woodturning, deceased estate auctions throw up some top machines :2tsup:

dabbler
13th June 2012, 04:58 PM
Think about joining your local woodturners club. Then you will not only get exposure, training and experience but you'll get a good idea of your interests. Club members are often trying to sell their equipment for one reason or another too so you might be able to pick up something that way.

As others have suggested, your interests are important to lathe selection and that's where exposure to other club members can be really useful.

There's plenty of examples of other turner's work here too.

petersemple
13th June 2012, 05:13 PM
When I first started turning, I looked around on ebay and other sites for months and months without finding anything suitable in my area. Lots of cheap and very nasty lathes, but nothing approaching decent. That's when I bit the bullet and bought a new one. At the time though I didn't know about this forum. I reckon if you keep an eye on the marketplace here you may well get something decent second hand. May also luck out on a bargain on ebay too. A lot of the ones that do show up on ebay come with a few chisels and a chuck as well.

Arry
13th June 2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks soooo much guys.

So is a MC900 a decent lathe?

What can't it do?

I have had a look on Gumtree for a decent 2nd hand, problem is I am a lathe virgin so I have no idea what is good and what isn't,

Perhaps if I buy a new one like the MC900 at least I get a warranty.

I do not know what to do now.

Any decent 2nd hand brands to look for?

cheers

thompy
13th June 2012, 10:51 PM
The mc900 is what i use currently (different company badging but its the same exact lathe), quite happy with it, the benefit of having its drive the way it is means no pulley changes whitch is a nice feature, just a lever to move in use. i picked mine up after i looked around at the machinery shops and finding if they had any display models or old stocks, lucky for me they did.

What can't it do.. well its top speed is around 1800-2000, some of the better lathes spin up to 3600+. I've not tried larger turnings on it and its bed to centre height is 150mm iirc, whitch allows me to turn 300 diametre or just under without swinging the head, something i've not done yet but will be soon. It can't reverse the drive for better sanding (although for a beginner its not something to worry about). It doesn't have a handwheel (not crutial but sometimes nice to have), and it is not indexed (can buy chucks with indexing though if you have a need, or get creative and index from a handmade plate)

i've done pens, small bowls, some light segmenting work, salt n pepper mills, lidded boxes, tool handles. i'm only beginning to stretch its limits really, my pop died and left me an ancient one (20 yrs old at least) whitch i made into a disc sander, after it proved too innaccurate for me.

I think i spent well under a thousand on the mc900 it was missing a tailstock centre when i bought it so i got a jabobs chuck and a 60 degree live centre as well, and a cheapy scroll chuck, and a few more chisels.

All in all for a beginner i think its an excellent choice, looking forward i might get myself a small woodfast for my small pen specific stuff, and upgrade the mc 900 much further down the track to something with more centre height and a bit sturdier, but thats quite a ways off, i'm letting my skills develop more and i dont see me totally outgrowing the 900 for a while. I've had it a bit over 12 months now and still enjoy it very much.

all my posted work has been done on it.

keep a thought for where your going to use it too, i brought mine home in the back of a little mirage and set it up in my little garage wood corner, when i get my shed back i can move it easy, mini's (lathes) are easier again, but some of the heavier models might require beer favours.

my 2cents for what its worth hope its a help.

Neal.

thompy
13th June 2012, 11:05 PM
thought i'd add some pics to show what its capable of, i'm no pro. some of the tooling is specific (pens), but otherwise its allowed me to get turning affordably, and for me i'd rather turn AND save, not save for a turn =).

Neal.

sturina
13th June 2012, 11:10 PM
I've also got an MC900 from Carbatec. Agree with Thompy on its faults, especially lack of hand wheel. The other problem is the slowest speed is 500 RPM. This is a problem when turning heavy, slightly out of balanced wood as it is still scary fast. However it does suit my needs and at the time was the right price for my budget. I found the guys at Carbatec very helpful when I went for a look and of memory the store in Perth has a good show room.

thumb trimmer
13th June 2012, 11:50 PM
Bowl-Basher (aka Graham) has often said in the past that the cougar (from Trend Timbers) is worth a look in.

I've got an MC1100 (from H&F), and although cheap does most of what I want it to do at this stage. If I could have justified the expenditure, I would have gotten a Vicmarc, but the MC1100 does me fine for the moment; bowls, pens, and various other 'stuff'.

If you do consider a MC900 or MC1100, I'd recommend trauling through this website. There are a bunch of posts about what to look for when purchasing one, and secondly things that you can do to 'improve' the lathe. (maybe not improve, more build on what it does out of the box).

One of the things I do wish the MC1100 had (apart from EVS), is a hand wheel on the back of the head stock; particularly when turning pens or other small spindle work, or even when turning bowls over as I'm applying a wipe on or paint on finish.

As others have probably already suggested, take a look on this forum, there's a wealth of turning knowledge here. Also check out your local club, can be invaluable.

.. just my two bobs ... either way good luck.

dabbler
14th June 2012, 12:10 AM
I have a Carbatec MC1100. It's just a longer bed than the MC900 and as the others have mentioned, it is more limited than more expensive machines but still capable of allowing you to produce good work. A slower lowend speed and electronically variable speed would be nice but it all costs $. At the time it was all I could afford (and still is).

I don't think I'll replace it but rather just add a mini or midi as a second lathe. These are within your budget too.

I decided to commit over the Christmas-New Year break one year and did most of the buying homework myself. My local turning club was shutdown until early Feb, didn't know about the forum and so I was really in the dark. I didn't even know what a chuck was and now own an expensive chinese paperweight I bought at the last minute. I replaced with a Supernova2 within months.

You will find good turning tools and grinder are a big part of the budget too. There are often deals on chisel sets to be found on ebay. Just ask on the forum for opiinions on brands if you're unsure.

Arry
14th June 2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks very much for the replies guys, is really appreciated.

My problem is that I do not understand a lot of what you are saying?

Neal I read your post with interest but unfortunately I do not understand it :-)

Basically I guess I want to know what kind of things can I make on it and what can't I make.

Thanks again.

nz_carver
14th June 2012, 12:10 PM
Wood fast mini best bang for your buck
About $400

Arry
14th June 2012, 01:28 PM
Can that do things like salt and pepper mills, bowls, tool handles, mallets etc?

Stone Monkey
14th June 2012, 02:22 PM
Arry,
I have the Hare and Forbes lathe equivalent to what is discussed above. As i live in Perth you are welcome to come around and have a look at it.
Cheers
Pete

Avery
14th June 2012, 02:22 PM
With a budget of $1000, if you want a new machine and spindle length is not important, go for the Woodfast midi.

Woodfast Mini Lathe : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/woodfast-mini-lathe_c20064)

A really good lathe.

You will have some money left over for tools, a chuck perhaps and incidentals such as finishes and sandpaper.

Arry
14th June 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks very much, what does spindle length mean?

petersemple
14th June 2012, 04:06 PM
Spindle turning is turning with a piece of wood supported at both ends - by the headstock at one end and the tailstock at the other. Spindle length then is the length of the spindle - the piece of wood. Maximum spindle length is the maximum length of wood that you can turn between centres (supports). Essentially it is a function of the length of the bed of the lathe.

Avery
14th June 2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks very much, what does spindle length mean?

The Woodfast is about 400 mm long, the MC 900 about twice that. If you are not going to turn long stuff the Woodfast will do the job. For mallet handles and pepper grinders etc. it is more than enough.

IF you want to turn bigger stuff, and you probably will at some stage, then you need a bigger lathe. Of course the bigger they are the more money .

Don't forget that you need all the tools and accessories to come out of your budget.

BobL
14th June 2012, 06:21 PM
The Woodfast is about 400 mm long, the MC 900 about twice that. If you are not going to turn long stuff the Woodfast will do the job. For mallet handles and pepper grinders etc. it is more than enough.

I have one of these and picked up the 600mm extension bed for about $100. Having the removable extension has it swings and roundabouts. Being removable it can leave valuable bench space free. OTOH it is probably not as rigid for long work as a dedicated/fixed length lathe. Although for light work I reckon it's OK.

vk4
14th June 2012, 11:42 PM
Arry,

I suggest you take up the offer from the turner in PERTH , .

Go and see his equipment and learn about the equipment and the part names etc,
BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.
Your other alternative , is to find your nearest WOOD TURNING Club.

All the advice from others , is meaningless , unless you understand what they are saying. (NO OFFENSE TO OTHER MEMBERS WHO HAVE POSTED)

Jeff
vk4

Robomanic
15th June 2012, 02:43 PM
One thing to consider is that while the mc900 or 1100 discussed here are solid cast iron construction, they come with a flimsy steel set of legs which limits them greatly. I built a more rigid and useful bench for mine. The optional cast iron legs are also great if you don't have the time to build something else and budget accordingly.

Good luck and I also suggest getting hands on before you part with $$$$

BobL
15th June 2012, 02:53 PM
Arry,
I suggest you take up the offer from the turner in PERTH , .

If you wish you can also come and look at my Woodfast.

thompy
15th June 2012, 07:35 PM
Arry, good on you for wanting to have a go, and you're in the right place to ask the right questions.

By the sounds of things, like asking what was meant by spindle turning, and not understanding mine and others posts a little, a bit of research on your part might go a long way to helping you out more. I'm not having a go, just trying to assist.

Find a basic beginners turning book, from the local library or if you see one shopping, give it a read and make sure to get into the glossary, there are a lot of terms some of us turners take for granted that don't otherwise come up in regular conversations.

Likewise if your a woody type already, hit google and look for a local club, they'll most likely have a little bit more specific selection to read or borrow too, theyre a great resource even if its just the people your interacting with face to face while there.

Neal.

orificiam
15th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys fitting a hand wheel on a MC 900 it's not a problem see photos.
Just leave a little thread on the bolt so as to grab, It's easy to remove by turning the wheel anticlockwise

Cheers Tony,:)

swk
16th June 2012, 09:19 AM
A bit late for advice, but here it is anyway Arry

I am not a highly experienced type with woodturning like many of the others here who are giving advice, but here is my journey...

My (ex)father in law was a builder and had some things that he had bought over time but didn't use or where damaged (builders treat their tools hard, or at least he did). He had a black and decker mini lathe set up, I don't know how old, but it was meant for a drill to be mounted in it. It also had some parts missing. I lashed it up and tried to turn some stuff, just for fun. I used normal (2$ cheapy) wood chisels. It was like this one (pic from EBay)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/37767-swk/albums/misc/9437-b-d-lathe.jpg
It was a crap set up and I never actually made anything but it worked well enough to remove wood that I could see the possibilities, so I went out and bought a cheap lathe and a cheapish set of tools (of a reputable brand).
The lathe was one like this:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/37767-swk/albums/misc/9436-oldlathe.jpg
The tool set was this one (still mine):
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/37767-swk/albums/misc/9438-recordtools.jpg

It was quite fine for turning biggish stuff. I happily made tool handles and comparatively large pieces. For instance my dad was "helping" (ie doing it all) my sister do up her place. I made some replacement turned support columns for her kitchen dresser, something like these:
Fedwood Timber - Balustrading, Handrails, Posts, Verandah Brackets and more - FED 150 (http://www.fedwood.com.au/48-fed-150)

and turned decorations for her door architraves. (I learned that you can join 2 pieces of say 90x45 turn a pleasing shape and then after finishing turning unjoin the pieces to get two exact matched decorative piece which you can stick on either side of doorways, fireplaces etc.
First bit of Split Turning. : Wood Turning - Lathes - UKworkshop.co.uk (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/first-bit-of-split-turning-t7004.html)

I also found out during this time that a good chuck, like a Nova or similar, is really a must have. I bought a chuck for this machine but already had in my mind that I could use the chuck on an upgraded lathe.

Anyway after a year or two I looked around for a better one. I ended up buying something the same as the Carbatec MC900 which others have mentioned on this thread (lots of these sorts of machines all come out of the same factory in china, but get painted up different for whoever the supplier is). I can still do the big stuff, and have had a passable go at pens etc (probably about a dozen or twenty in total). So at this stage this lathe will do OK for me.

I will add that while I still have the original turning chisels and would sometimes use them, over time wher I have seen _good_ tools on special in the shops, especially without handles, I have bought them and use them in preference the the original set.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/37767-swk/albums/misc/9439-other-lathe-chisels.jpg
Also having lathe tools brings up the issue of keeping them sharp. I wont go into that here but there will be a cost to buying "something" to sharpen your tools on. you should probably set aside a couple hundred dollars for this too.

This journey was perhaps more expensive than if I had bought a middle range lathe and good quality tools straight up. However, it wasn't as bad as all that. I sold the original lathe to a friend who was happy to use it for heavy furniture work. So I recouped a a good part of the original cost, which wasn't all that much anyway. I got to move up with machinery to a level which suits me and also found out you can do reasonable work with pretyy basic stuff (but it is limited in the types of work you should try) and I also got a couple of years working with a mediocre setup which makes me a bit more appreciative of the better gear.

So my suggestion to you would be...

Lathe:
I wouldn't recommend you buy anything less than the MC900 or similar that others have suggested. The cheap tin things, while useable are very limited. If you don't know what you really want to do with it, these types are flexible enough to do a wide range of things and it will be a while before your skills outpace the lathe abilities. If, in some years you decide you want to move more upmarket, well, do it then and count it as the cost of learning. :-)

Tools:
You can buy "cheaply", but not _too cheap_ to start off with. Know that your tool set can be expanded with quality when you can afford it (and having a lathe allows you to buy handle-less tools which is even cheaper) and quality tools do work better. Also there will be some sharpening. That's a whole other discussion.

Accessories:
A good chuck is a _must have_ from the start.

Regards
SWK

Arry
17th June 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I bought a Carbatec MC1100a yesterday.

Unbelievably heavy, gonna need some help getting it out of the car, GOD knows how I am going to achieve that.

Will keep you all posted :-)

Thanks again
<TABLE class=productListing-data border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=productListing-odd><TD class=productListing-data>MC1100A </TD><TD class=productListing-data>Carba-Tec 1.1m Bed Wood Lathe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=productListing-data border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=productListing-odd><TD class=productListing-data>MC1100A </TD><TD class=productListing-data>Carba-Tec 1.1m Bed Wood Lathe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

vk4
17th June 2012, 06:16 PM
ARRY,

these lathes come apart,

! head stock separates from bed , undo clamp at front and head lifts off.

2 tail stock separates form bed , undo screws at end of bed and slide off.

This means that you can carry the parts to the shed , makes it a lot easier, .

Build the legs first , mount the bed, then the head stock , and finally the tail stock & banjo.

Jeff
vk4

Arry
17th June 2012, 08:46 PM
Cheers, got my brother-in-law to help carry the boxes inside. Soooo heavy. Now to set it up!