PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Brass after Silver Soldering

Garry Edwards
15th June 2012, 09:15 PM
What is the best way to clean brass after silver soldering items together. Is there a good acid type dip????

Regards

Garry

Acco
15th June 2012, 09:30 PM
Best method I found from my coppersmithing days was to either boil it in hot water with detergent and stiff scrubbing brush or a combination of running hot water, detergent and wire brush.

Stustoys
15th June 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Garry,
You mean to remove the flux?
I used to use Citric acid, though that was silver soldering copper to s/s so might not have been the same flux?

Stuart

Garry Edwards
15th June 2012, 09:36 PM
I was looking at trying to bring a clean brass look back after silver soldering and thought that maybe a weak acid mix might be the answer.

Regards

Garry

Acco
15th June 2012, 09:48 PM
If it still has a residue or crust left on it from the flux, then the only method is to remove it physically. It has been along time since I was in the game but I'm pretty sure it still needs to be done physically.

Ueee
16th June 2012, 12:04 AM
Hi Garry,
You should always neutralize any left over flux by soaking the part for a good hour or more in a bi-carb solution. If you don't you may have some flux weep out of the join somewhere and cause corrosion to you freshly cleaned surface.
I use a brass "chisel" to remove any excess solder and finish with scotch bright etc

TKO
16th June 2012, 12:38 AM
Hi Gary ,I do quite a lot of silver soldering on my models,and I clean any flux residue with a battery acid and 10% water and dip while hot be careful,and do not use the same mix if you have used it for copper,it will mess up the brass Hope this helps.
forgot to mention to rinse well after using acid.

steran50
16th June 2012, 09:06 AM
HI:),
I find Caustic Soda to be quite good at cleaning up a Silver Soldered Job. I will just give it a Wire Brush at times.