PDA

View Full Version : Rustin's Plastic Coating

walab
17th June 2012, 12:07 AM
Has anyone used Rustin's Plastic Coating to fill knots and saplines?

I was on the hunt for an epoxy that had been recommended (megapoxy) when I got ambushed at a timber shop and was told this is what I need..

Any experiences with it?

My plan is to fill, sand back and then oil finish . .

Acco
17th June 2012, 12:17 AM
From my experiences with it, it is from my opinion only suitable as a coating, it would be too liquidly as a filler.

walab
17th June 2012, 12:21 AM
Hmm - yeah he did mention that I should fill full knot holes in stages 5mm deep max. Luckily there is only 1 real 'hole' (approx 9mm diam, 10mm deep) with the rest just being knots that need stabilising, as well as some speckled sap lines that are very shallow (its marri . .)

I guess a test run on some scrap is needed...

Jim Carroll
17th June 2012, 11:58 AM
As DJ indicates it is a finish as you need to keep it fairly liquide so it self levels.

I sure lets you know when you have a bad finish as it leaves small depressions .

It requires a very level surface to show of the finish properly. If there is any holes or grain filling to be done do it properly first, before applying this finish.

walab
19th June 2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Given I had already purchased the Rustin's I've sanded and taped everything up - and spent 3hrs filling the sap lines last night (on the dining room table) drop by drop from a syringe until it didn't drain though any further. Woke this morning - and it had basically all disappeared!

I think its just too runny, but have topped it up again this evening and will wait expectantly to see if this has sorted the draining issue.

(pic below of coverage take 2)

RETIRED
20th June 2012, 07:45 PM
There is a product called Envirotex which is made for this application.

Envirotex Lite - Pour On - High Gloss Finish 500ml (Aus Customers Only) Aldax Moulds Store (http://www.aldaxstore.com.au/p/593431/envirotex-lite---pour-on---high-gloss-finish-500ml-aus-customers-only.html)

maccawood
20th June 2012, 11:27 PM
megapoxy products available at permatech 1/4 achievement way wangarra.
cheers macca

China
20th June 2012, 11:47 PM
As said above Rustin's Plastic Coating is the wrong product for what your doing, the sales person clearly did not understand what you wanted or has no knowlege of the product he/she is trying to sell, once you have filled the deep spaces with one of the products mentioned above, you will most likely be able to use the Rustin's to complete the finish.

Jim Carroll
21st June 2012, 10:28 AM
Now seeing what you have, it would have been better filled with Timbermate Ebony.

The black ebony will match with the gum vein and knot holes.

.Oxy
21st June 2012, 12:24 PM
My experience with Megapoxy - you have to tape it up VERY well - it is a runny liquid and does heat up as it sets, so be careful on the tape that you use, if the glue (on the tape) melts you will have leaks. If there is a small wormhole that you haven't taped, it will leak.
If you haven't taped enough, it will leak and so on.
I usually mixed it in a tin can and then poured it on for cracks etc. For wormholes I used a needle-less syringe.
It takes ages to sand it back, it also fills in grain in places you didn't really want it to.
All in all, probably similar to Rustin's plastic. Not sure that I would use it again.
What else are people using to fill cracks etc?

walab
5th July 2012, 12:28 AM
thanks for all the tips ppl. The rustin's was so runny that I ended up doing 4 top ups and it still continued to seep into the sap lines. I don;'t think it helped that the sap lines are quite extensive in the Marri often running at oblique lines through the timber. Ultimately it filled to a good level in 99% of spots.

The carcass of the shelves is now glued, and just finishing off the top board and the bottom surround skirting. Have a bit of an issue with one of the top boards (now joined) that is a bit warped, so currently scoping out the availability of a thicknesser to use in Perth. Thinking of visiting some Men's sheds, but if anyone knows someone who'd give me a hand for a carton of beer....

Will start up a WIP post of my first project when I get a second. Its all coming together slowly!