PDA

View Full Version : Ebonizing

jacko
3rd March 2005, 09:15 PM
I want to try the "steel wool in vinegar" recipe on some Aussie timbers. I know that a high Tannin content supposedly enhances the blackenning, but does anyone know which of our timbers are high in tannin? I do know of one tree that is, leptospernum or tea tree, The bark of this was used for tanning many years ago before chemical tanning came popular, but I dont know of any furniture timbers from tea tree!
Help anyone?
jacko

echnidna
3rd March 2005, 09:28 PM
Black Wattle - A.Mearnsi
Blackwood
Messmate,

I have a feeling that most eucalypts are high in tannins. (Vic ash isn't)

Basically any timber that gets a black stain around a nail if freshly exposed to rain and the weather is high in tannins.

Reportedly you can add tannins to any timber by soaking it in a tannic acid solution.

MajorPanic
3rd March 2005, 09:44 PM
I used Narrow Leafed Tea Tree that was cut into 200mm X 50mm X 10mm and dumped into an old 20 ltr steel drum. This was filled with water and a couple of handfulls of steelwool chucked in.
I left it (forgot about it) for 18 months, outside. After I drained the water off and left the timber to dry for a couple of months it ended up black all the way through & I used it for cabinet door handles. :D

JB
3rd March 2005, 10:38 PM
It works on Aus red cedar.

ubeaut
5th March 2005, 02:27 PM
In Australia it would be easire to get a list of trees that aren't high in tannin. Pretty well all of them that I have come in contact with have a fair-old tannin content.

Cheers - Neil :)

jacko
7th March 2005, 08:43 AM
to all who have responded. Very useful information. I will try some eucs that I have and let you know the results.
Jacko