PDA

View Full Version : Great Score!

yowie
21st June 2012, 01:10 PM
Had a phone call from my Uncle to pop around yesterday. Turns out he had a pile of old tools that were my Great Grandads (mostly) and asked if I wanted them. Most will be put on display after a bit of refurbishment, but the Stanley No 66 will be put into use after a clean up (only has one of the eight cutters, and only the straight fence though), as will the Marples which looks like a No4 or 5.
Also was another box containing my Great Grandma's Husqvana 2qt icecream machine. Needs a lot of resto though as the coopered wooden bucket has fallen to bits due to the rings coming off.

wheelinround
21st June 2012, 01:50 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jimbur
21st June 2012, 01:52 PM
Great stuff. Makes you wonder about the ones that got away.
Cheers,
Jim

yowie
21st June 2012, 08:11 PM
Certainly does. I know Great Grandad had a Stanley 55 that disappeared somewhere along the line. Would have been nice to inherit that...

Anyway, spent a few hours today giving the 66 and the 4 1/2 an acid bath. Unfortunately the 4 1/2s blade was cracked as was the rear handle. They both came up alright though. Gave the 66 a quick flatten on the glass and a test run on some pine. Cuts beautifully. Now just have to find some blades...

issatree
21st June 2012, 08:28 PM
Hi Yowie,
You maybe able to make them yourself. Just find or buy a HSS Hacksaw Blade, & you make them out of that. On some, when the Teeth are removed, you can just squeeze in 2in. - 50mm. When cutting with an A/ Grinder, take it easy, so you don't burn the Temper out of it. A squirt Bottle of water is a good idea, to cool down the Steel.
That's my 2 sense worth.

yowie
22nd June 2012, 12:43 PM
Cheers Issatree, I've made them before and used them with a home made 66, using the technique you mentioned, and that is probably what I will end up doing. It would be nice to have a proper set though...

Christos
22nd June 2012, 05:01 PM
Nice going. :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
22nd June 2012, 11:53 PM
Have you checked the bottom of your shoes - to see if you've stood in somerthing!