PDA

View Full Version : Wandoo Burl Platter

Willy Nelson
23rd June 2012, 10:46 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

This is a Wandoo burl platter I turned for a friend who allows many of us access to his 1500 acres for motor bikes, firewood and the odd burl. This burl was cut on his property.

The burl was cut dry about a year ago. It is full of rot, large fissures and cracks. I tried turning it, but it decided to remove itself from the lathe and sulk in the corner of the workshop. No amount of swearing or encouragement would induce it to remain on the lathe. It was banished to a dusty corner for a month or so. This relationship continued a few more times, each attempt saw a little more material removed.

I finally hit upon the idea of glueing a sacrificial piece of timber to hold it until I could turn away the rot etc and find structural timber. It was also heavily stabilised with CA glue and plasti-bond

Well, I finally managed to finish it and present it to my friend. He reckons it is the best peice of furniture in house now. He must have a crappy house!

It is finished with 10 coats of Danish Oil. It is 36cm across

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

derekcohen
23rd June 2012, 01:01 PM
Hi Willy

Much difficulty with the chisels? :)

I think that is a fantastic effort - I'd be very happy to give that a home.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bench1holio
23rd June 2012, 01:11 PM
its a good looking peice willie, worth the effort of returning to a few times ! :2tsup:

what size is it?

Willy Nelson
23rd June 2012, 05:49 PM
Wandoo is super hard. Had to sharpen the chisels frequently

Willy
Jarrahland

dr4g0nfly
24th June 2012, 05:39 AM
Don't do yourself down, you've made a stunning job out of a hard to work piece of timber and I am quite sure learnt a trick or to at the same time.:2tsup: