PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Magazines

smidsy
4th March 2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone know of any half decent magazines for woodturning, other hobbies I've been involved in I've enjoyed the mags to see what others are up to and what the latest gadgets are.
Cheers
Paul

Sprog
4th March 2005, 07:24 PM
Anyone know of any half decent magazines for woodturning, other hobbies I've been involved in I've enjoyed the mags to see what others are up to and what the latest gadgets are.
Cheers
Paul

Woodturning (UK) (http://www.thegmcgroup.com/page--Woodworking-Magazines--wwmags.html)

gatiep
4th March 2005, 09:14 PM
I'm with Sprog on this. UK one is good, the yankee ones are 75% advertising, 24.5 % junk ( spelling may be wrong, think it starts with a c ends with p ). The only thing good is the season on them, either Fall, Winter etc and even thats wrong for our time of the year. Incidently that was what was covered by the missing 1/2%

Woodturner ( U K Version ) for me.
Ave a good weekend

:)

macca2
4th March 2005, 10:21 PM
The UK mag Woodturning is (IMHO) the best. Much cheaper if you subscribe rather than buy it in the newsagent.
The Woodturner UK was ok but they amalgamated into the Woodworker and lost some of the turning component in the process.

macca

gatiep
4th March 2005, 11:14 PM
Macca,
You are 110% right mate, my mistake. I actually mean Woodturning. Sorry about that. Its the one that claims to be read in over 60 countries.

:o

Mulgabill
5th March 2005, 04:38 PM
I agree will all. The UK Woodturning mag is the best going around. It is better to subscribe if you can. The issues available through the news agencies are one month behind ie. I received the January edition last week.

It is a shame that there is insufficient interest in woodturning here in oz to justify a local mag or is it a profit issue.

smidsy
5th March 2005, 04:50 PM
Hei Bill,
I read Flypast magazine which is also from the UK so I know about the hassles of time.
I'm suprised there isn't the following for an Aussie mag, I was in radio control for years and there is actually two main mags just for the aircraft.
Cheers
Paul

JB
6th March 2005, 03:40 PM
What about Australian Wood Review and Australian Woodworker ? Not specifically woodturning magazines but both have woodturning articles in each issue, and other relevant articles on timber, dust extactors etc..

Babytoolman
7th March 2005, 07:30 AM
Paul,
I just for the first time purchased woodturning design. $12.90 from a news agent so it is on the expensive side but it looks good. I haven't read it all yet but as the other guys say allot of advertising but also about 5 projects in it. Might be worth you looking at. I like Australian Wood Review.

Roger

Sprog
7th March 2005, 04:00 PM
You might want to check out your local library, they usually have lots of different mags.
If they don't have Woodturning mag ask if they will subscribe to it, might just save you some money :D

rsser
7th March 2005, 06:09 PM
I subbed to Woodturning for a year, and then found you can sub via www.thewoodsmith.com.au locally. Haven't done the figures on the cost diff.

Good mag for the beginning to intermediate turner.

macca2
7th March 2005, 06:25 PM
I have just renewed my subscription online at 46 pound 50 pence, which is about $113.50 for 12 copies. Via woodsmith it is $126 and in the newsagent it is about $160

macca

R12chard
9th March 2005, 12:21 AM
You can subscribe to the highly recommended Woodturning Magazine using the following link:

http://www.lightningpublications.com/articles/wt.html

Have fun

Richard

Cliff Rogers
9th March 2005, 12:30 AM
G'day.

I have been getting the UK Woodturning mag for years, it's the best but can have some 'crap' issues, the latest being one.... :(
I got the UK Woodturner for a year but stopped when it was amalgamated into the UK Woodworker 'cos.... well, just 'cos..... I didn't like the change.
I only got it for Bill Jones & Reg Sherwin so now I go & read it at the news agents & then put it back.... :rolleyes:

Keith H
25th April 2005, 01:27 AM
G'day Paul

I joined the American Association of Woodturners 2 yrs ago. I recieve 4 mags per year (as part of the fees) which have nothing else but woodturning. I find it a good source of ideas. I also subscribe to the UK Woodturning and the Woodturning Design (www.woodturningdesign.com (http://www.woodturningdesign.com))
regards
Keith

bdar
25th April 2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Paul,
Like the others have said, Wood Turning is one of the better mags out there and the Guild of Master Craftsman have also released wood turning books from articles within the magazine. I know of six titles, there may be more. The Australian Wood Review has also done a book on wood turning from articles from there mag as well.
Cheers,
Darren