PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tools

les88
24th June 2012, 11:01 AM
The older members might remember me, three years ago my wife passed on beaten by Ovarian cancer.
I moved out of my large house to a smaller one with one garage.
So all of my power tools had to go. So I asked a question who would travel to buy my tools.I had rented a storage shed in Goulburn and had them stored there. I had a lot of replies and I was lucky a member [ I shouldn't say a name but one of his passions is piloting a Glider ] bought nearly all of my tools.
So I never thought that I would do woodwork again. I have been working with wood for about seventy years and it is a hard habit to kick.
So when I need to make something if I didn't have the tool I would buy it.
Bear in mind that I only have a garage so the tools need to be compact
A Ryobi bench top table saw, very noisy and astute on features, but it was small and cheap.
So on a Saturday when Aldi had the tool sale I was there at the opening with a lot of others bought a compressor $129.00.
Last Saturday I was there again this time a router, some router bits, a bench top router table, and a biscuit joiner.
What a difference from the Domino, 3hp table saw etc.
These cheap tools will do for me as I wont be using them a lot and they do work. They cannot be compared with the bigger tools.
I never thought that cheap tools had a place in the woodworking community, but they certain do.
les

Groggy
24th June 2012, 11:20 AM
Hi Les, sorry to hear about your wife. Good to see you return to a hobby that gives some satisfaction. I bought an Aldi plane out of curiosity a while back and continue to use it as it is very good at roughing down timber and stays sharp for ages.

rustynail
24th June 2012, 11:54 AM
Les, I wouldnt mind betting you would have a pretty good idea how to use them too. The top end of the market seems to be very much the precinct of the avid and the avoid. A bad tradesman always blames his tools.

wun4us
24th June 2012, 02:54 PM
I agree with you Les, many of Aldi's tools, although as you say maybe not in the league of some of the "stars", do serve many quite well.

I don't have anything fancy, its simply economics for me. I do have a Ryobi sliding bench saw, and after a little fiddling to true up the blade, and making a better fence, it does everything trhat I want it too.

:2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
24th June 2012, 03:00 PM
Les good to see you back here as well.

Glad its you down in Goulburn bbrrrrrrrrr and thats in summer LOL

Yes I have a small collection of tools from Aldi's some good and similar to many brand name lower priced ones.

Les how did you go getting a lathe??

Also Les Goulburn does have an active woodies group so if your after like minded souls to chat to check them out. Santa (http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/news/local/news/general/santas-woodies/2397603.aspx)

Goulburn Region Woodworkers 1st, 2nd & 4th Wed of month Ph: 4821 5330 (Jack)

Les here's the full pdf (http://goulburnaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/New-Residents-Guide-January-2012.pdf)

snowyskiesau
24th June 2012, 04:30 PM
I too have no problem with buying cheap tools. While I'd prefer to buy the very best available (and be able to afford to!), I really can't justify it for a seldom used tool (i.e. biscuit joiner).
Ryobi or Aldi are fine by me in such cases.

SAISAY
24th June 2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Les
So sorry to hear about your wife.
I had been wondering what happened to you.

As regards cheaper tools.
We bought a VERY cheap circular saw about 13 years ago, I think from memory it was about $15.
It is still going strong and used often. Outlasted the DeWalt :o
Cheers
Wolffie