PDA

View Full Version : In need of a pulley.

Maladay16
25th June 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi there,

I have recently inherited a craftmaster wood lathe and I'm keen to use it. The problem being the pulley on it is broken.
If someone could let me know where to buy one and if I need a spacific size?
The swing is 7 inch and it is a 4 speed. Model #cwl-1000s.
Thanks.

Big Shed
25th June 2012, 07:15 PM
Most bearing supplies sell a range of pulleys. Take your broken pulley with you and get one as closely matched as possible.

You need to match the internal diameter of the hole, so it matches your shaft, the outisde diameter of the pulley, as well as the inter

thompy
25th June 2012, 07:32 PM
i'm pretty sure this is an old hollow square tube bed lathe, solid spindle, i too was left with one, i thought my upper pulley had broken due to a severe knock it developed, i found the upper pulley grub screw had loosened, tightened it and fixed it. not sure if that helps. i have heard of these totally shattering the pulley too, due to age of the brittle and cheap castings. i was able to find a belt for mine, but thats about it. i retired it and turned it into a disc sander. short of ebay i'm not sure these are sold retail any more (a quick google image search located a store selling them in the UK), and i know at one time they were a ryobi cwk1000s. however i dont know about the chances of spare parts through them you could try i guess. the same design has been around for 30 years or so, and badged as all sorts of things, they all use the same or very similar model number.

Neal.

Paul39
26th June 2012, 10:15 AM
Hi there,

I have recently inherited a craftmaster wood lathe and I'm keen to use it. The problem being the pulley on it is broken.
If someone could let me know where to buy one and if I need a spacific size?
The swing is 7 inch and it is a 4 speed. Model #cwl-1000s.
Thanks.

Most of the inexpensive lathes used off the shelf parts, so you are likely to find a pulley that will fit. Depending on what sort of turnings you plan to make, a two or three speed one corresponding to speed you need might be less of a shock to your wallet.

For spindle work the headstock pulley uses the smaller ones, for bowls the bigger ones.

I have a Hegner 5 speed lathe on which I make mostly bowls. It stays on the slowest speed almost all the time. I occasionally go one faster to make a tool handle.

Maladay16
26th June 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys, as I am a complete beginner I have now found out that it is the drive belt that is broken. It is 6mm thick and roughly 150mm in diameter, I say roughly because it is in pieces.

thompy
26th June 2012, 06:58 PM
Then thats an easy fix, unbolt the headstock from the bed (should be about 4 bolts), and take it down to your nearest bearing supply place ( CBC etc.) and ask them to find you a suitable "M" machinery series belt (differs in the angles to "A" or auto series belts), they'll fix you right up with the correct belt, i think i paid about 20 bucks or so for mine.

Neal.

PS: or grab the wifes sewing tape and measure the length around a pair of the matching pulleys, note unlock / loosen the motor so you have the measurement for the belt at its longest stretch length for the machine, any belt longer than this wont be of any use to you, then as above take the measurement and ask for a M belt just a bit smaller.

Gary H
13th August 2012, 08:48 PM
I have the same model lathe,but with most parts original so if you are still having trouble please contact me and I can supply part number of the belt on mine.