PDA

View Full Version : Variable speed

peter_j_h
7th October 2000, 07:04 PM
G'day
I have a 1hp single phase motor driving an old spindle molder I use as a drum sander. It runs too fast for some materials and the old design (flat belt and fixed motor) make it difficult to use different pulley diameters.
Does anyone know where a reasonably priced electronic variable speed motor control can be obtained?
regards
.....peter

Roger Peine
8th October 2000, 11:38 PM
G'day... You could try "Alltronics", "D.Smith
or; "Jaycar" electronics. There are a couple of kits available. I assume that there would be an off the shelf item as well.
Hope this helps some.

peter_j_h
9th October 2000, 08:56 AM
Roger,

Thank you for the ideas. I'll have a look. I should have thought of Dick Smiths; I bought an infra red controlled switch I use to turn on a dust extractor; very useful and a very inexpensive way to turn it on from different machines.

regards
....peter

peter_j_h
23rd October 2000, 05:08 PM
G'day,

As a closing point to the subject, having done a little research; I found one kit at Dick Smiths to allow variable speed control of a brush type motor.

It transpires that single phase induction motors are difficult and consequently expensive to control electronically and even then usually result in significant power losses and consequent heat build up in the motor.

I went back to basics, built a smaller hardwood drive pulley and redesigned the motor mounting. It now works well.
I hope this information is of some use to others.

.....peter