PDA

View Full Version : Candle stands

toddbron
29th June 2012, 10:04 PM
Hi,

Decided last sunday that I wasn't going to make any pens or even make any toys. I thought I would just let the chisels talk. A friend gave me a large piece of timber which I split into 4 quarters. 1 quarter I have set aside to make some pens. Another quarter has been put aside for future use which left 2 quarters left. I am not sure what the timber is but it had a nice red colour,

SWMBO loves candles and one thing I haven't done is to make a pair of candle stands. As I said I wanted to let the chisels talk and as I worked I could see the grain showing through. I am happy with the shape but think I need to work on how to duplicate a piece. The stands are 340mm high. The stands are not leaning. Photographer was obviously leaning.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

Todd

Ad de Crom
29th June 2012, 11:07 PM
For a candlestick stability is desirable, I would have a larger foot for more stability, it is still possible.
Ad

dr4g0nfly
29th June 2012, 11:50 PM
(Sigh....) I wish my tools would talk to me like that sometimes!

But I agree with Ad de Crom about stability. However your design looks to be able to accept a larger base without upseting the balance.

cookie48
30th June 2012, 12:52 AM
I agree with the base bit for sure. Allso would like to see the candle hole polished allso. Just shows out to much to my taste.

Reaper
1st July 2012, 01:31 AM
i would like them with a wider base too, not for stability (although that is important) but i just like that slope you get on the wide bases.

and your doing much better than me at duplicating work:2tsup:

wheelinround
1st July 2012, 10:39 AM
What the others have said re a larger foot for stability, the main thing here is you have not used a cup for safety so the candle doesn't burn the wood. McJING Tools Online (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=1028)

toddbron
1st July 2012, 12:30 PM
What the others have said re a larger foot for stability, the main thing here is you have not used a cup for safety so the candle doesn't burn the wood. McJING Tools Online (http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=1028)
I never new they existed. Thanks for the tip.

Todd

ticklingmedusa
5th July 2012, 02:24 PM
Nice.
Caps used to plug copper tubing can also be used.
You will find them in the standard sizes in the plumbing dept. @ most hardware stores.