PDA

View Full Version : Record extractor

Rod
14th October 2000, 08:15 AM
Saw a small Record dust extractor in a machinary shop the other day. Wondering if anyone has one of these and if so what their performance is like. I need a small portable type unit however the chap in the shop didn't have any info on it.

Cheers, Rod

Iain
14th October 2000, 08:47 AM
I came close to buying one a few weeks ago but decided against it, nothing to do with the product though. The one I looked at was green, stood on three legs and had the motor on the top and a large plastic bag underneath.
It was extremely noisy, not that I think this is anything unusual, but I believe they are a good unit. I am also pretty sure it was a 1hp unit. Record have a good name with most products and I believe that this would be as good as the rest of the range. Price was $250.00 (I think it had a scrath or a dent somewhere) but normally just over $300.00. Was also a 4" inlet.
I opted for a shop vac which was more practical for my application. Gills tools in Coburg had this one and it may still be there if it is the model you are after and want to save a few dollars.

Rod
14th October 2000, 11:45 AM
Ian, Thats the one. Green and three legs with plastic bag underneath. I was quoted $198.00. However as the salesperson didn't know anything about it and it wasn't able to be plugged in I don't know what its suck is like. However I would be a bit worried if you reckon they are a bit noisy.

Cheers, Rod

Iain
14th October 2000, 02:30 PM
Rod, I thought it was noisy, just general motor noise like a BIG vacuum cleaner going, $198.00 not bad at all.....get them to plug it in or take an extension lead with you. I'm sure they'll plug it in for you then if it means a sale.
As for noise, you can move it out of the way.
As to what doorstop is saying they are all different and mine doesn't make much noise at all and I found it was all I needed for my workshop, it is quiter than the record but then I haven't heard a lot.

Rod
16th October 2000, 10:59 AM
Still none the wiser as to the capability of the Record dust extractor. Surely someone out there must have one and be able to comment on it.

Cheers, Rod

Iain
16th October 2000, 11:28 AM
In addition to my other posts (should have covered the obvious before) I put my hand over the outlet and it appeared to do the job well, the bag collapsed almost immediately, which I think is indicative of the unit functioning correctly. I have no doubt that it would work well but like I said, a shop vac was better suited to application (read auto on off and hooked up to my sander). What do you want to use it for?
Carba Tec sold these which is genearlly a good indicator as they are not known to sell second rate products.
I also have an article on dust extraction from a US mag on file which I can email to you if you wish, a lot of hints on how to hook up etc.

Bazza
17th October 2000, 09:43 AM
Hello all,
I made my own dust extractor to use while on the lathe, I found a web site and a gent named Guy Ulven sent me a copy of his plans.
Guy made his out of plexiglas (which I thought was perspex) but me being financially challenged, made the housing top and bottom from ¾ mdf and the fan from ½ mdf and three ply, some tin plate screwed around the outside to complete the housing ,
A second hand 1/3 hp electric motor from the washing machine repairer cost me $45.00 and when I put it all together the dam thing worked, and all up cost me about $50.00
It sits on top of a wooden box and moves a column of air up the inlet tube into the box where it drops the heavy stuff and from the box out the discharge tube. It’s strong enough to clean up sawdust and stuff off the floor.
Now I admit as a carpenter or cabinet maker I make a good truck driver, but its been running most days for about three months and doing a bloody good job, If any other financially challenged would like some more info you could e-mail me at [email protected] , now I need to find out if a wooden dust extractor conducts static electricity.

Rod Smith
17th October 2000, 10:07 AM
Well done Bazza. I've got and old Aus WW mag with a similar sounding arrangement somewhere. Amazing what a little determination can achieve. See ya. Rod

davej
4th November 2000, 01:01 AM
i have one of these extractors.i use it on my jointer/bandsaw/linishing sander and thicknesser it works well with them all.the bag is awkward to refit after emptying it the only thing to watch for is not to let the hose come in full contact with the floor when you are cleaning up.the hose will compress under the suction and pull the unit over .i hope this has been helpful regards davej

Rod
6th November 2000, 04:40 PM
Thanks Davej. Your comments re this unit are helpful. If the hose collapses and pulls the unit over when suction is blocked then that would seem to indicate that the suction must be pretty good.

Cheers Rod