PDA

View Full Version : Shellac water ring

ozwinner
7th March 2005, 04:59 PM
Welcome back viewers.
We have just bought a beautiful blackwood buffet, the only problem is this FREAKIN HUMUGOUS WATER RING IN THE SHELLAC.
Ok funsters, how do I get rid of said ring.
I tryed a search, as any good http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angels/littleangel.gif forum member would do, but alas poor Yoric, I didnt find anything.

Cheers, Al :D

bitingmidge
7th March 2005, 05:01 PM
Al,

Don't try to get rid of it.

Make a feature of it, by outlining it in black Nikko, and drawing a smilie face inside.

Cheers,

P
:D

Tasman
7th March 2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Al,well i have had a little experience with that sort of thing and the only way i know of is to sand the top back and repolish it but this time use some thing that wont mark if it is going to be in a domestic situation where it will be used...........
Yea i know...buggah.........lol

cheers Tas

Gumby
7th March 2005, 06:35 PM
Welcome back viewers.
We have just bought a beautiful blackwood buffet, the only problem is this FREAKIN HUMUGOUS WATER RING IN THE SHELLAC.
Ok funsters, how do I get rid of said ring.
I tryed a search, as any good http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/angels/littleangel.gif forum member would do, but alas poor Yoric, I didnt find anything.

Cheers, Al :D

And you're supposed to be a dedicated forum member - shame on you Al :D

The answer is here all the time - Ubeaut polish Reviver.........if that don't work, nothing will. ;)

echnidna
7th March 2005, 06:42 PM
Al there is a simple way of removing it but I just can't remember. I reckon Neil will know it.

ozwinner
7th March 2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah I know, Ive read the Bible from front to back and I cant find it.

NEIL, help!!.

Al :D

beejay1
7th March 2005, 07:00 PM
Hi Al.
If the shellac is still on the surface the marks are caused by the water getting between the layers of polish and you need to evaporate it. Wipe with Methylated spirit and light for a second or two maximum then blow out . You may have to do this a few times but it does usually work. Dont be tempted to let the meths burn out or you will begin to scorch the surface.
If the polish is no longer on the surface and the bare wood is water marked then its back to basics and youll have to sand the mark out.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Gumby
7th March 2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah I know, Ive read the Bible from front to back and I cant find it.

NEIL, help!!.

Al :D

Just read my post will ya, and buy the stuff. This has been covered before and

I quote from the Ubeaut site:

In most instances Polish Reviver will:

* Nourish and protects and enhances the polished surface, giving most furniture a depth & clarity not seen since it was originally polished.
* Remove water marks on polished surfaces
* Colour and hide scratches on non stained polished surfaces.
* Remove or dramatically fade white heat rings, etc. on polished surfaces

I'm telling ya' it's the only solution............c'mon Neil, back me up here.

Sturdee
7th March 2005, 07:53 PM
I'm telling ya' it's the only solution............c'mon Neil, back me up here.

Whilst not the only solution it is by far the easiest and quickest solution and will work most of the times.

I have tried it on three tables, worked on two :D but the third I had to strip the polish, sand and repolish after staining to match the rest. :(

So I'm with Gumby on this, try the polish reviver.

Peter.

vsquizz
7th March 2005, 10:23 PM
So I'm with Gumby on this, try the polish reviver.Peter.
Yeah ya cheapskate junk peddler, ya don't have to steal everything ya know;) occaisionally you have to buy something new :D .

You could always try igniting some MFKL:eek:

Cheers

baseball
7th March 2005, 11:31 PM
You could always try igniting some MFKL:eek:

OK Folks, I'll bite, What is MFKL:confused:

baseball

vsquizz
7th March 2005, 11:49 PM
Max Factor Knacker Lacquer

Do a search or look here for starters
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=9529&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Max+Factor+Knacker

Cheers

echnidna
8th March 2005, 10:50 AM
Al, try putting a thin cotton cloth over it and iron it with a hot clothes iron.