PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutter. what consumables needed

jex
4th July 2012, 09:13 AM
Hi, if you have a plasma cutter, what consumables do you replace the most ? I am in the process of ordering one and having not used one before, would like to know what consumables to order at the same time.
John

matthew_g
4th July 2012, 10:09 AM
Hi John,
What type of torch comes with the plasma cutter you are buying.?
Consumables can be had in packs at very reasonable prices on Ebay.
One of my torches is a PT-31 and a 250 piece kit can be had for $50-$60 delivered..
Matt

welding
4th July 2012, 10:24 AM
Hi, if you have a plasma cutter, what consumables do you replace the most ? I am in the process of ordering one and having not used one before, would like to know what consumables to order at the same time.
John

It depends on the torch that is supplied. Most brands like to lock you into using their consumables that are expensive ($8 plus) for a tip or electrode). You can in some cases replace the torch for a generic one that uses easily obtainable consumables like the 31 series (ex esab) but now common in China and ebay China. Check what consumables cost before you buy the machine. Expect to cut 1 metre of 12mm plate with a pair (1 x tip and 1 x electrode) generally. Also check that you can get cutting guides, circle kits etc. Most of the ebay junk is hard to get kits for as the torches look similar but are not all the same outer diameter so are hard to match to a cutting kit.

John:U

jex
4th July 2012, 12:18 PM
Ok, thanks Matt/John for the replies. I will chase up the supplier and find out what torch it is. It is a Tosense 80A P , made in china so probably some obscure brand of torch. I have been sitting on the idea for a while and decided to 'bite the bullet" whilst the $ is still good so it will be interesting to see if it is worth the gamble ??
jOHN

rfurzer
4th July 2012, 03:24 PM
I buy mine from riverweld in china. They are dirt cheap. The ceramic shields seem to last forever. The nozzles last for a few hours of cutting unless you lose air flow (or forget to turn on the compressor) in which case they last for an eye blink. The electrode tip also wears with the nozzle.

shedhappens
4th July 2012, 04:14 PM
jex I have one of those tosense 80mamp plasma cutters, if you buy it you need to pull the cover off and check/tighten every nut bolt and screw.

Also the input cable will be wired wrong !!
Mine had one of the active wires attached to a fan screw for the earth, the black one.

Also.......there are two earth wires inside that need to be earthed properly, the frame inside is powder coated and these had no continuity back to where the earth wire attaches, so you need to run earth wires to these from the main earth.

Also........make sure the hose clamps for the internal air line are tight.

Also........ you may have to repair the drain valve on the water trap on the air regulator.

Also...........you may need an air drier, I haven't made one yet but it is on the to do list.

john

jex
4th July 2012, 05:20 PM
Ok, thanks John. Did you get extra consumables with yours ? I think the torch supplied is a p80.
I have a very good drier so that should not be a problem.
John

shedhappens
4th July 2012, 05:26 PM
Ok, thanks John. Did you get extra consumables with yours ? I think the torch supplied is a p80.
I have a very good drier so that should not be a problem.
John

I got 1/2 a dozen bits and pieces, I have not done much with it but it does seem to work ok, it's me that doesn't work it ok :o

jex
4th July 2012, 05:32 PM
I got 1/2 a dozen bits and pieces, I have not done much with it but it does seem to work ok, it's me that doesn't work it ok :o

Mmmmm ok, I will only be using it for hobby use so hopefully it will do the job. I have a few small jobs lined up already.

shedhappens
4th July 2012, 05:50 PM
jex, my free hand cutting was nothing short of disgusting :C

but it cut's ok using a guide, most of the problem is that it is hard to see where you are cutting because of the large size of the nozzle, and the auto darkening helmet flashes on and off all the time, so I need to make up some proper guides and a decent circle cutter.

john

ps, I did cut a bit of 25mm with it, free hand, shocking !! but it did cut it and no doubt with a guide and correct feed rate be ok

Jon_77
4th July 2012, 09:14 PM
Depends on the type of cuts you're doing

If you're doing lots of start/stop/start cuts, you'll go through the consumable a lot faster than if you're making lots of continuous cuts without having to stop and then restart.

The drier the air, the longer their life - moisture in the air will eat electrodes.

Welding - what machine are you using where you're only getting 1 metre of cut before your electrode is consumed?