PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Shaper original guards

jhovel
5th July 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi again.
My 'under-drive' mod has been successful and the rest of the machine is coming back together - all bits taken off getting a spit and polish before going back on.

As a result, I no longer have any need for the original belt guards ("chook cages"), clutch guard and feed adjuster cover, along with their holding brackets.
If anyone wants to restore their Douglas shaper to original condition, PM me about these bits. They are in reasonable condition, a few dents in the wire mesh, nothing that can't be straighterned perfectly easily. No dents in the clutch cover.
They come off my ball bearing model Douglas, but I'm ignorant if the plain bearing version's guards were any different.

Cheers,
Joe

Dave J
5th July 2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Joe, I will put my hand up for Gary as he was asking about them a while back on here to complete his. I will send him a PM now to let him know and he can contact you about them.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/21947-garry-edwards/

Dave

jhovel
5th July 2012, 11:59 PM
Nice of you to consider other members here, Dave.
Garry has already been in touch. He has first option.
Cheers,
Joe

morrisman
6th July 2012, 12:00 AM
Can I ask

Why are these Douglas/Hercus shapers so popular . Seems that most forum members here have one ..except me :p Is it their compact size ?

Dave J
6th July 2012, 12:30 AM
I think they are popular because they are small in size. They are only a couple of hundred kilo's so easy to move around and ship.
It also seems there are a lot around as I think plenty where made.

As for there working side of things they are small and a bit slow compared to the slightly larger ones, but they do the job fine. If you want one, keep your eye out as they seem to come in waves, either there are plenty available for reasonable prices, or there are none around and people sell them for top dollar.

Dave

Dave J
6th July 2012, 12:34 AM
Nice of you to consider other members here, Dave.
Garry has already been in touch. He has first option.
Cheers,
Joe

No problem Joe, I would do it for you anyone here if I know there looking for something. Good to hear Gary has got a hold of them.:2tsup:

Dave

Steamwhisperer
6th July 2012, 07:22 AM
Can I ask

Why are these Douglas/Hercus shapers so popular . Seems that most forum members here have one ..except me :p Is it their compact size ?

For me it is the fact that tooling is cheap, it can do/make most things a mill can (including a round hole or shaft), gears, sprockets splines, easier to set up for a flat surface. They are aussie made, we had one at trade school (sentimental I guess). Compact, great size for the home workshop. Oh yeah, dovetails as well. Don't get me started on the mesmerising effects of just watching it:D (therapy is available)
I could go on Mike:2tsup:

Phil

nadroj
6th July 2012, 09:38 AM
Hi again.
My 'under-drive' mod has been successful and the rest of the machine is coming back together - all bits taken off getting a spit and polish before going back on.

Hi Joe,
Have you put the motor in the base? Any chance some photos?

Jordan

Dave J
6th July 2012, 09:48 AM
Hi Joe,
Have you put the motor in the base? Any chance some photos?

Jordan

Here you go Jordan,
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/show-us-your-shaper-146358/index26.html#post1510302

Dave

morrisman
6th July 2012, 12:25 PM
Ok so I see that there are variations in them. Which type would be the best ? Some have plain bearings, are these less sought after or less valuable ?

The later Hercus copies . Are these better ?

found a manual http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Douglas-Shaper.pdf

Mike

jhovel
7th July 2012, 12:51 AM
Yep, we found that 'manual' a while back. It is a parts list. After all our searching and research it seem now likely that a user or maintenance manual was never printed - or they have all disappeared....
Joe

nadroj
7th July 2012, 12:05 PM
Here you go Jordan,
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/show-us-your-shaper-146358/index26.html#post1510302

Dave

Thanks Dave,
That does indeed look like a worthwhile modification. As well as space saving, it should be quite a bit neater.
Have you or Joe finished? Any negatives with it?

Jordan

Anorak Bob
7th July 2012, 12:35 PM
Hello Jordan,

Any chance of a few photos showing how Hercus mounted the motor and associated drive on the 270?

Bob.

nadroj
7th July 2012, 07:45 PM
Here's some photos of the Douglas/Hercus 270 shaper.
There's another, earlier Douglas next to it.

Jordan

Ueee
7th July 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi
I don't know about the shaper (bit small if you ask me.....:D) But that swage block looks like a beauty!
Seriously though, that shaper must be pretty late is it? i have never seen a small one with a gearbox.

Anorak Bob
7th July 2012, 08:16 PM
Hercus certainly tidied things up with the 270.

BT

ps. Now I know who to lean on for No.3 photos. :U

nadroj
8th July 2012, 01:01 AM
that shaper must be pretty late is it? i have never seen a small one with a gearbox.

This advert is from 1988.

Jordan

Ueee
8th July 2012, 01:10 AM
This advert is from 1988.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,
That is very late as far as shapers go. (from what i've seen anyway) The prices are interesting too. A good Aus made vice for more then than you can buy a Vertex now. No wonder we don't make anything anymore.
Shouldn't have had enough years to get to worn i hope.

nadroj
8th July 2012, 09:53 AM
Now I know who to lean on for No.3 photos. :U

I might do likewise. Mine's a bit of a basket case.

Jordan

Anorak Bob
8th July 2012, 10:03 AM
In your case Jordan, the basket looks pretty full, mine's close to empty.:no:

How is your's for wear, bad as mine?

Bob.

nadroj
8th July 2012, 10:04 AM
A good Aus made vice for more then than you can buy a Vertex now. No wonder we don't make anything anymore.

Yes, it puts things in perspective.

Jordan

nadroj
8th July 2012, 10:09 AM
In your case Jordan, the basket looks pretty full, mine's close to empty.:no:

How is your's for wear, bad as mine?

Bob.

I haven't measured anything, but it doesn't seem grossly worn. It has done lots of work though.
One of the centre thingos is damaged, with an unfinished weld repair. The electrics need a good going over.
I'll do a photo session on it some time, when I can get closer to it.

Jordan