PDA

View Full Version : Off the new toy

Brett Hammond
6th July 2012, 03:55 PM
In another thread I was asked what I had made on the new toy. At that stage I had only turned a pen. So I thought I would turn something a bit bigger to see how the lathe performed and get it dirty.

I have found that the turning position is higher, I did check and see if I was standing in a hole. The S1000 certainly runs quiet and smooth.

Anyway, little bowl is nothing fantastic. Saw something like this on the net and had a piece of plain Black Heart Sassafrass that has been hanging around for a while. So decided to have a go. Not sure if I like the feet.

Haven't decided what finish to give it yet so it's just as it came off the lathe. Sorry about the quality of the photos, don't have a fancy photo set-up just the iphone and a led light.

Brett

Willy Nelson
6th July 2012, 06:07 PM
Well I like it
Thought is was Sheoak when I first looked
Willy

vk4
6th July 2012, 08:16 PM
Very nice , I like the Lathe, if you center height is higher than you like , make a platform longer than the lathe and about 1 mt wide, and to a height that is comfortable.

Jeff
vk4

orificiam
6th July 2012, 09:44 PM
Congratulation, I like the lathe and also what comes out of it.

Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

cava
6th July 2012, 10:44 PM
Very nice. :2tsup: I must admit that I also thought it was Sheoak.

dr4g0nfly
7th July 2012, 07:54 AM
Well that's certainly different. what did you use to create the texture on the top surface please.

As for a finish, I'd go with a matt effect, something like Lemon Oil, anything that gives that a gloss will (in my opinion) detract from it.

Paul39
7th July 2012, 10:21 AM
I also think it needs a matte finish. I like Danish Oil or Tung Oil.

Beautiful piece. Do you have any bruised fingers?

Brett Hammond
8th July 2012, 10:16 AM
No bruised or cut fingers, finished pretty good off the tool so there was little sanding to do.

Used a small arbortec carver to texture the top. and do the small feet.

Before finishing I was thinking of maybe some colour somewhere on the top. Maybe a copper paint rubbed into the high spots???

Brett