PDA

View Full Version : Storing chisels

woodhooker
6th July 2012, 11:42 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the addiction of woodturning and asking for any ideas and advice on how to store chisels, does anyone have photos of what you have made or what you store your chisels in. Any ideas would be most helpful. Thanks you, Susan:no:

TTIT
6th July 2012, 11:56 PM
Store them! :o Never :no: Gotta keep them handy at all times - you could try for something like my rack on this very old thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/one-man-band-44357/) :shrug: - still in use to this day, just a couple of the chisels have been renewed.

_fly_
7th July 2012, 12:24 AM
cupboard under the lathe bench has a draw on sliders with holes for tool handles.
Can be a pain that the doors need to be open to use it, But a blast of air cleans it out quick enough.
And the left door is in the wrong place to stand there, will need to change that sometime.

HardingPens
7th July 2012, 04:18 AM
I know many people don't like storing tools behind the lathe since you have to reach across for the tools. I alway stop the lathe before changing tools and I find this wall rack is excellent for storing tools, pencils, chuck keys and the like. The rack is made from wood with holes drilled to allow the tool steel to protrude through.

NeilS
7th July 2012, 10:17 AM
Plenty of options in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/show-us-your-tool-holding-system-97995/) and a few others here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/i-need-tool-tidy-122515/).

Tim the Timber Turner
7th July 2012, 11:42 AM
cupboard under the lathe bench has a draw on sliders with holes for tool handles.
Can be a pain that the doors need to be open to use it, But a blast of air cleans it out quick enough.
And the left door is in the wrong place to stand there, will need to change that sometime.

Fly

I would suggest your of your tool rack is not a safe method of storing tools.

To extract a tool from the rear you would have to reach over the sharp edges of the tools in front row. Note that skew sticking up.

Storing tools like this, handle down, is OK when the rack is at waist hight or higher. You can then grab the tool by it's handle.

Reaching down to floor level is fine when when you are younger, but is something I try to avoid as I get older.

Of course this is somewhat of a catch 43, because the older I get the more I seem to drop things.

Cheers

Tim:)

thompy
7th July 2012, 01:13 PM
Susan this is what i use, i dont have the lathe at a point where i have a bench behind or in front, it swings so once i am done it can be folded into closer to the lathe so i can cover it and the lathe itself when not used. its at the same bed height and tools easy to hand, tips down. Just another idea.

Neal.

_fly_
7th July 2012, 01:51 PM
Tim

I would suggest your of your tool rack is not a safe method of storing tools.
I really only use the front row, The ones behind are old ones that don't get used.
Just seemed a waste to build the shelf/draw and not use the rest of it by drilling holes.

Peter

TTIT
7th July 2012, 08:25 PM
This is one I designed for our club so it could be moved to any of the 3 lathes or parked under the ways of the big Jet. The magnet holds the chisels in place well enough unless some idiot lets the lid drop :doh: and there's space for all the bits and bobs on the top shelf and a few blanks or whatever in the bottom.

chuck1
7th July 2012, 10:57 PM
Ive got a rack on wall behind lathe and my other lathe has a shelf and a angled rack with cut outs for each chisel/ gouge. And I have a canvas tool roll for when I have to take tools to work !

Skewturn
8th July 2012, 12:22 AM
I was looking on the net a while back and these are some of the picks I found. I hope it helps, I still havent built mine cant decide.
Cheers Skewturn:U

Pat
8th July 2012, 07:13 AM
My chisels are on a rack, for the most used ones and a lazy susie for the lesser used ones. Since my lathe is perpendicular to the wall, I added a bench for the grinders as well.

bassmansimon
8th July 2012, 09:36 AM
I currently just have a set in a presentation box but I have a plan for when I get more.
Plastic bucket. Put florists foam in base then a generous layer of wood shavings. Cut PVC pipe into 20cm lengths and glue into the bucket. Store tools with point facing down.

Got this tip from John Ewert (Woodturning instructor from Trend Timbers in Sydney)

vk4
8th July 2012, 10:13 AM
I currently don't have a storage for my Chisels, on my last lathe MC900, T had a piece of 70x35 pine bolted to the inside of the legs, I then bored holes angled inwards, so the cutting edges were under the lathe bed, AWAY FROM MY LEGS, if your chisels have shortish handles this works well and all are handy ,.

if the chisels have longer handles then a shelf to the side and a the head stock end is a good solution, .

When it all comes down to it you must create a storage system that is SAFE & suits your individual needs ..

My 2cents worth.

Jeff
vk4

NeilS
8th July 2012, 01:05 PM
I found it useful when I got beyond half a dozen turning tools to think of tool storage and tools-in-use as different requirements.

For me tool storage is all about safe storage (for you and the tools) and taking up the less valuable real estate in the workshop, while still being reasonably accessible and identifiable. There are many solutions for this.

Whereas tools-in-use need to be constantly accessible (ie within reach without having to to move), quick to change (no gates, catches, etc. to slow down the exchange) and immediately identifiable among the shavings. I use variations in my handles for the identification.

My current solution for tools-in-use is a tool tray that can be moved between my inboard or outboard banjo, depending on where I'm working. The Banjo allows me to manoeuvre the tray into the best position for the piece I'm working on. Best tool tray solution for me, so far, but I'm always open to new ideas.

More details on it here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/i-need-tool-tidy-122515/index2.html#post1296686)

PS - one downside risk of this tool tray arrangement is a heavy blank coming adrift.... hitting a tool handle... and launching a sharp tool... into somewhere where it's not wanted... :o Hasn't happened yet, but could, so caveat emptor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor). I'm not selling the idea, just sharing in case it is of interest to others, but want this potential risk to be considered if anyone takes up the idea. Other tools-in-use arrangements on and around the lathe could have a similar risk.

rsser
8th July 2012, 02:53 PM
I've always liked having a lathe with a shelf or two underneath.

My tools are stored in a rack. For a particular job the tools needed get put on the shelf which has some anti-slip rubber on it. They don't roll.

Downside is that they end up half-buried with the shavings that fall. So DIY distinctive handles are useful - as Neil mentioned.

smiife
8th July 2012, 06:13 PM
hi woodhooker
i had an old computer desk that we never used
so i put some wheels on and drilled holes where i wanted to store chisels
[pointy bits down],tailstocks, and other tools all in one place also has room for putting other stuff while working ,sandpaper,finishing stuff,callipers etc
will have to take some photos so you can see soon
cheers smiife:2tsup:

woodhooker
9th July 2012, 06:57 PM
Thank you everyone for some great suggestions on how to store chisels in a practical manner. Great forum, again thankyou. Susan D,