PDA

View Full Version : Roughing Down WIP by T-Boy (Nearly 10 )

tea lady
7th July 2012, 12:49 PM
T-Boy comes with me to work during school hols. This time we decided that he was old enough to learn a bit of turning. We had him roughing down some baltic pine so I can turn them into dibblers. So here's where he got to over two days. Did 21 all up I think. The first one took ages. The last one he did took 3 minutes and 3 seconds. :U and I did one each too. took 23 seconds. I took 25 seconds. :cool: So I guess I'm doing dibblers next week. :doh:

Pic 1 after marking the ends with a center finder he put a little dint in the center with a brad awl to make it easier to locate the head and tail stock.

Pic 2 Load in the lathe.

Pic 3 Turn piece around by hand to make sure the tool rest isn't in the way, and that it is centered properly.

Pic 4 Starting at one end take little bites with the gouge towards the end. Working you way up with each bite. Have the leading hand holding the tool up against the rest to guide you and steady the chisel. The chisel should be perpendicular to the work. Bevel rubbing then raise the back hand till shavings start coming off, then you can move the chisel towards the end off the wood

Pic 5 Continuing up the work The chisel can be turned slightly towards the direction it is traveling. Move your legs not just your arms, other wise the angle of the chisel changes and you have a catch. So take a wider stance with your feet so you can transfer you weight between them as you go along keeping your upper body in the same shape all the way.

Pic 6 When you get near the other end start from that end instead and take little bites again from the other end till you meet in the middle. Take one last smoothing cut along the whole length.

Pic 7 You can check for round by resting the back of the chisel on the work. It makes a clattering sound if there is still flat bits on the wood, and just a smooth sound when it is round.

Pic 8 Turn off the lathe and unwind the tail stock to remove the piece ready for the next one.

Pic 9 Ta daaaaaaaa

Did I forget anything ? :think: Probably. :doh:

Paul39
7th July 2012, 01:17 PM
Good on you, Tea Lady.

In five years if he wants a stubby for his birthday, you may wonder what you started.

tea lady
7th July 2012, 01:22 PM
Good on you, Tea Lady.

In five years if he wants a stubby for his birthday, you may wonder what you started.He'd better start saving his pocket money now.:p

RETIRED
7th July 2012, 01:41 PM
Did I forget anything ? :think: Probably. :doh:Nope.:)

tea lady
7th July 2012, 01:54 PM
Nope.:):cool:

Paul39
7th July 2012, 02:12 PM
Did I forget anything ? :think: Probably. :doh:So next week you start him on the accursed skew?

nalmo
7th July 2012, 02:16 PM
If you want him to speed up I think you'll need to change his pay to piece rate, rather than per hour.

Tim the Timber Turner
7th July 2012, 02:16 PM
Did I forget anything ? :think: Probably. :doh:

You certainly did.

What about making the tea?:doh:

Cheers

Tim:)

tea lady
7th July 2012, 02:57 PM
If you want him to speed up I think you'll need to change his pay to piece rate, rather than per hour.10 cents a piece. :U Only 60,000 to get enough for a stubby. 59,979 to go.:rolleyes:

You certainly did.

What about making the tea?:doh:

Cheers

Tim:)I still get to make the tea. :saddest:

Tony Morton
7th July 2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Anne-Maria
Do you have a plan fornthe dibblers I need to do some for a store in town but cant find a plan.

cheers Tony

Blarney
7th July 2012, 05:21 PM
Why not ask the boss?

dr4g0nfly
7th July 2012, 05:44 PM
And the next lesson - sweeping-up the shavings - not so much fun.

Well done AM, another convert to the cause.

tea lady
7th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Anne-Maria
Do you have a plan fornthe dibblers I need to do some for a store in town but cant find a plan.

cheers TonyPlan? :hmm: Nope. Just doing them like use to do. I guess he once had a plan. :C:U

nalmo
7th July 2012, 11:45 PM
This might give you some ideas:
JET Tools - Lathe Projects - Garden Dibble - Part 1 of 2 - YouTube

JET Tools - Lathe Projects - Garden Dibble - Part 2 of 2 - YouTube

tea lady
8th July 2012, 12:57 AM
:doh: Well he makes a meal of it.:rolleyes::D Light cuts? Phooy:p

angryranga
10th July 2012, 07:58 AM
Good to see guys, start em young my 4 year loves being inthe workshop with dad, and he comes in handy too.:2tsup:

nz_carver
10th July 2012, 11:07 AM
Tea boy and tea lady nice to see a chain when it comes to making you cups of tea , good on you Tl for getting your young one into it

Hope he sticks at it

Drillit
10th July 2012, 11:19 AM
Hello T-Lady,
Well done - so good to see the young ones taking up the craft. Have to do 60 tops for our Shed to be sold (hopefully) at an upcoming craft fair. I am training the learner turners to do these with me. Good fun, particularly "painting" them on the lathe whilst spinning using textra type pens. Drillit.

NeilS
11th July 2012, 10:43 AM
Yep, good to start them young. I've started my oldest grandson, with a guiding hand.

Come to think of it, turned my first piece (a yo-yo) at about the same age as T-Boy. Unfortunately I didn't have a teacher, which might explain a lot.