PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Chisels with Oil Stones

Redback
8th March 2005, 01:22 PM
Ok, I have been reading some post regarding the sharpness of chisels.

Based on what I have read, what I thought was sharp is in fat extremely blunt.

As a complete novice in this area, can anyone point to a good way to learn?

As a starter, I have 5 oil stones that I have inherited. Now since there are no markings I have no idea what grit they are, but by the feel I have a reasonable range from quite rough to almost perfectly smooth.

Would I need to flatten these stones and if so, how?

I have seen lots of talk on water stones, are oil stones no good? should I be investing in some waterstones or should oil be good enough?

Finally and the biggest question, is there a good tutorial somewhere on the web that shows how to get the razor sharp finishes. The chisels I have are relatively cheap, am I asking the impossible for these? (can't remember the brand but the blades have Sheffield on them. I thought steel was pretty good from them???

cheers

RB

craigb
8th March 2005, 01:31 PM
Oh no. Another sharpening thread. :eek: :eek:

Run away, run away :p :D

Have a look in the archives. Be prepared to spend plenty of time reading all the posts on this subject.

Scary sharp is probably the easiest method to master. Do a search on that as well.

Good luck.

:)

Woodlice
8th March 2005, 06:42 PM
mmm scary sharp. Doh!

J!

echnidna
8th March 2005, 07:12 PM
nothing wrong with oilstones.
chippies & cabinet makers have used them for many years!!!

outback
8th March 2005, 08:15 PM
Don't let them scare you. By all means do a search, oodles of info on sharpening. Waterstones seem to be the flavour of the month, so much so, I am really tempted to try them.

However, oilstones have been around for donkeys, so by all means use them.

Yes they will need flattening, they will probably be harder than waterstones, so a little more patience will be required.

Depending on your chisels, that shave the scrotum of a sleeping rat without waking him, may be beyond your stones, and possibly your knowledge at this time.

DON'T let this frustrate you, getting a really sharp edge is within your capability with a little practice. There is more info on the net on sharpening to sink a boat, let google be your friend.

A book by Lenard Lee, title escapes me, comes highly recommended.

Hang in there, practice, pereseverence, and oilstones will produce as good an edge as your tools will allow.

Rusty
8th March 2005, 08:28 PM
Ron Hock's Sharpening Notes are a good, comprehensive guide, regardless of sharpening medium.

http://www.hocktools.com/sharpen.htm

Enjoy.
Rus.

johnc
8th March 2005, 08:54 PM
Redback,

I've used oil stones for chisels and plane blades for years, like you no idea of the grades but course, smooth and really smooth does it for me. The scary sharp method will certainly give you a sharper result if you stones are not that fine. However after much hesitation I have finally ordered some waterstones which should arrive soon and am keen to see if I really can shave that rats scrotum without waking him. So far smooth forearms are as far as I've gone. It's all just practice, you should be able to get a fine edge on those sheffield chisels, its how they hold the edge which probably tests the quality.

John

derekcohen
9th March 2005, 01:06 AM
I have finally ordered some waterstones which should arrive soon and am keen to see if I really can shave that rats scrotum without waking him.

John

Oilstones have earned a good reputation. There is nothing wrong with using them. Personally, I have very little experience here. But what I have read makes two points: firstly, waterstones will sharpen to a higher grit and leave a keener edge; secondly, waterstones cut much faster than oilstones.

The only advantage of oilstones over waterstones is that they are less inclined to dish. On the other hand, once they do, they are harder to flatten.

Regards from Perth

Derek

vsquizz
9th March 2005, 01:11 AM
Tauntons & Lee Valley have this highly recommended book:

http://www.thebestthings.com/books/guidetosharpening.htm

Me, I just use carborundum for my chisels, some kero and a lot of practice:) .

Cheers