PDA

View Full Version : Forstner bit short extension?

bassmansimon
8th July 2012, 09:02 AM
Is it possible to get a forstner bit extension which is short? I have the carbatec one which is about 16cm I think.

I am trying to make a 10" pepper grinder on my Jet midi lathe. The lathe bed simply isn't long enough to support the extension bit i have. One day I'll fork out for the bed extension but for now a shorter forstner extension bit would work a treat. Anything around 5-10cm would work.

dai sensei
8th July 2012, 12:14 PM
What length do you need?

Carrols have a shorter one, 150mm long here CWS Store - 150mm 1/4" drive Extension | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/150mm-14-drive-extension)

I have seen them even shorter, 100mm to my memory, just don't know where from. You could always get a longer one and cut it down

bassmansimon
8th July 2012, 12:50 PM
150 will still be too long unfortunately. 100 would be ideal. Problem with cutting it down will be then re-drilling the centre hole for the bits. I have no way to do it

turnerted
8th July 2012, 05:41 PM
Contact Bruce Leadbeater of Leady Tools. I am sure he could make one any size you like.His extension arms are also cheaper than any other I have seen.You can find his details on his web site . Remember there are a couple of different shank sizes of forstner bits.
Ted

smiife
8th July 2012, 06:03 PM
hi bassmansimon
what neil said,but cut the end that goes in to your drill chuck:?

I have seen them even shorter, 100mm to my memory, just don't know where from. You could always get a longer one and cut it down[/QUOTE]
cheers smiife:2tsup:

TTIT
8th July 2012, 10:04 PM
If your budget can stretch to it, changing your system to the Colt Maxicut Forstners would be better for you. The MT2 adaptor with a bit fitted comes in shorter than an MT2-chuck-bit combination and the extensions are available in a couple of lengths - - - and they cut better than any standard forstner I've seen to boot :2tsup:

bassmansimon
9th July 2012, 09:20 AM
You could always get a longer one and cut it down

The problem is that it is a solid bar, with holes in the ends. One side takes a Forster bit (grub screw to hold in place), and other end holds a shaft (grub screw to hold in place) which then fits into the drill chuck. See attached instructions

BobL
9th July 2012, 09:51 AM
If you know someone with a metal working lathe they should be able to knock one of these up in 10 minutes. I'd ask in the metal work forum and see if someone close to you could do it.