PDA

View Full Version : what do you turn at a demo?

nz_carver
9th July 2012, 09:47 PM
hey all the sydney show is just down the road and I have worked up the plums to demo on the guild stand this year

I did the easter show but thats a different type of people

so I'd like to know what you turn at demos?

I have 3 3hr blocks to fill I think:o

Im going to be turning on a mini lathe

wheelinround
9th July 2012, 09:57 PM
Turn wood or acrylic Dave concrete is a bit hard ask Pat he turns it often.

dai sensei
9th July 2012, 10:05 PM
To what audience? Wood-turners or families?

At the shows around here it is more about families. We do small bowls, bud vases, trinket boxes and pendants for the adults, spinning tops and yo-yo's and honey dippers for kids.

Good luck with it.

hughie
9th July 2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah turn wood, it goes down better.

Turn what ever you want to, most folks are just passing by, very few will hang around to ask many questions. If they do you can stop the lathe and have a good old natter.

dr4g0nfly
9th July 2012, 11:10 PM
It's always good if you can create something fairly quickly to give away to the audience. It holds there interest and the the hope that they will recieve the next offering.

But I always find a little humour helps, I keep a toothpick in a pocket and when asked what I'm making pull it out and say 'Here's one I made earlier' - especially if you're working a reasonable size bit of wood.

The trick is - they don't know it's your first time - and even if they did, could not do what you're doing - priject lots of condfident front and enjoy yourself.:2tsup::2tsup:

nz_carver
10th July 2012, 12:21 AM
Just wish they had a stubby then at lest I'd look like I know what I'm doing lol

issatree
10th July 2012, 03:14 AM
Hi Dave,
As Neil said, depends who is out the front, Families, Kids Or Turners.
Whoever, you need to be quick with each Item & as a Giveaway.
Don't forget to Sign it, Date & the Wood then your Polish.
I use an Artline 200, 0.04, felt tip, Black. Don't try to write over the polish as it wont.
Put your Wood in the Chuck, tell them about the Lathe, Price, Tool, the Make, why this Tool, & why this Wood. Be careful of the Dust, going into the crowd.
What to turn, Eggs, 62 x 45mm.Take an Egg with you. Egg Cups, Finger Tops, Tippee Tops, Bud Vases, Scarf / Hair Pins( Google them), Spurtles, Small Goblets, Dibbers. Use Found Wood, Cypress, Claret Ash, A bit of Gum, Ti Tree, Apple, Apricot, Ect.
Just to name a few, & most certainly, keep the Banter going all the time, while you are Turning, as most will not know a thing about Turning. Have a list of Wood Clubs, & Mens Sheds handy, as you most likely get asked where, I can go to learn.
You could offer to teach them for a Reasonable Sum.
The Main Thing is to have a bit of Fun.
Well that's my Lot.

mkypenturner
10th July 2012, 06:49 AM
i go out with my local club often , we normally turn , spinning tops ,small bowls , bud vases ,small goblets , and the main thing we like to use is softwoods like camphor and jacaranda

TurnedByIan
10th July 2012, 09:39 AM
Have demo'd at the Royal Easter Show a few times. The quickest way to attract a crowd is to rough down a square piece down to round at high speed.
The loud machine gun sound travels well in the hall and because it souns dangerous it pulls the crowd. :2tsup:
Spinning tops are always a favourite especially when you colour them for the kids with spirals. The parents also enjoy watching.
Wear comfy shoes, you are on them a long time.
Cheers Ian

wheelinround
10th July 2012, 10:25 AM
Just wish they had a stubby

Sorry Dave drink is not allowed while turning you might create a decent bowl.:p

then at lest I'd look like I know what I'm doing lol

You'd think after 4 years doing woodshows and demo's you might eh Bro even without a Stubby:U

nz_carver
10th July 2012, 10:59 AM
Sorry Dave drink is not allowed while turning you might create a decent bowl.:p

You'd think after 4 years doing woodshows and demo's you might eh Bro even without a Stubby:U

See the last yr I didn't demo till the last moment

The other yrs I set out saying I'm going to demo but then meet this dam fourm lot and end up drinking coffee and talking about wood

I have not turnedona mini lathe in so long

wheelinround
10th July 2012, 11:02 AM
See the last yr I didn't demo till the last moment

The other yrs I set out saying I'm going to demo but then meet this dam fourm lot and end up drinking coffee and talking about wood

I have not turnedona mini lathe in so long

Who's fault that? No blaming Tiff.

You will keep going to turnfests.

I thought thats all they had at them. Or don't you get to use one.

nz_carver
10th July 2012, 11:54 AM
turn fest was a Stummby and a big vicmarc

wheelinround
10th July 2012, 12:06 PM
Dave you can turn almost anything on a mini from a tooth pick, top, pens, finials, bowls, tool handles. Ladies hat pin, magic wand.

Preparation is the key, tools sharp, wood ready, tenons turned, drilled out, blanks what ever for, all ready to just stick on the lathe and go for it. If its pens have all you need to put it together so they see they finished item.

Just make sure there isn't to much silica in the wood had a couple of New Guinea Rosewood bits I tried to do at a show once blunted not just my tools but two others also.:o

So your going to be a busy boy for the next few weeks till the show getting time on your mini and Nova getting everything ready. Thats enough time surely to re-train yourself on a the mini.

Hope you have plenty wood.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

old pete
12th July 2012, 08:38 PM
Hi NZ,

Pre-drilled blanks being turned to well finished salt and pepper grinders is my favourite. Very quick to make if you have the barells drilled in advance and you can show off your skills in making a very close pair?

Cheers Old Pete

rodent
15th July 2012, 12:34 PM
Well ill give my two cents worth tops are good , while turning at a show one of the other members was saying how in the old days , they were tought too turn a top and finish another top before it stopped spinning well i did that and offered him the lathe to use . Eggs are good and tactile , you can turn knobs and small draw pulls to show the practical side of the lathe . And as Wheelinround said wands for the kids keeps them amused as do whistles .

dr4g0nfly
17th July 2012, 05:38 AM
Thought I'd post one of my quick and fun turnings for kids to take away.

I start with a small piece of wood 1cm x 1cm x 10cm (Pic 1)

Hold it in a small set of jaws, once rounded, pencil in a small space for the rotating centre point and then the remainder of the length into 5.

Turn the middle section down to size (Pic 2)

Without loosening the headstock, offset the wood against the live centre to position C (Pic 6) and turn to size again.

This is always fun when you get a machine turning in front of you - their material does not flex like wood. Through the first one to a new crowd I also do the Rolf Harris bit ' Can you tell what it is yet?'.

Repeat for position B and then reset to position D to form the head. Turn in this position until the head is cut from the rotating centre (this cuts away the point hole). (Pic 3)

Remove the tailstock and turn off the tail. (Pic 4)

two dabs of superglue and a couple of Googly eyes from the craft shop and you have a 'Wiggle Worm'.

rodent
17th July 2012, 02:12 PM
Love that snake can we have some bigger pictures please iv'e tried to make these before but got the sequence all stuffed about .:2tsup:

michael_m
17th July 2012, 02:53 PM
Thought I'd post one of my quick and fun turnings for kids to take away.
two dabs of superglue and a couple of Googly eyes from the craft shop and you have a 'Wiggle Worm'.

DrAg0nfly, many thanks for that - not that I'm ever going to be demo-ing, but I'm going to have a go at the worm as soon as possible. It looks like a lot of fun. :U

Christos
17th July 2012, 10:17 PM
I have 3 3hr blocks to fill I think....

Now I know why you wanted to be on the forum stand early in the morning. To hide from the school kids.

:U

dr4g0nfly
17th July 2012, 10:42 PM
Love that snake can we have some bigger pictures please iv'e tried to make these before but got the sequence all stuffed about .:2tsup:

I bashed this out quite quickly last night to post in this thread, they don't take long.

Rodent, I'm busy the next few nights but I'll re-do it with several more pictures (now I've discovered the macro facility of my camera) and post it as a seperate thread.

rodent
17th July 2012, 11:52 PM
I have got a snake project in a book on off center turning but could never get it right so more pic's and explanation would be great , Thank you:D .

BlackbuttWA
18th July 2012, 11:22 AM
Making small spinning tops is good, especially when they are coloured with felt tip pens.
The kids love them & of course they bring their parents to show them.
The best way to draw a crowd is to turn some timber that is heavily scented such as Camphor Laurel or if you can get it Sandalwood. The scent wafts around & people follow their noses & you know it you have a small crowd..
The other way is to turn a square block very fast, it makes a lot of noise.

Col

joevan
19th July 2012, 12:11 PM
As can be seen in an other thread, "do not turn Lego", stick to wood.

Joevan.