PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Mini Lathe

Black Bear
9th July 2012, 01:00 PM
I have aquired a mini lathe which I wish to set up for truning wood knobs or draw pulls for Jewelery boxes.

It cost me $15.00 has no motor ( I have a spare) and no floating head or drive dog.

If someone knows about these things I will post a photo and go from there.

Never used a lathe in my life.

Thanks
BB

RETIRED
10th July 2012, 08:35 AM
Moved into its own thread by Admin.

TurnedByIan
10th July 2012, 09:59 AM
Oh dear, did they not warn you about the Vortex?
After getting a drive spur and a live center, you will want a chuck.
No point in having a chuck if you haven't got the right gouge or 2 or 20 :oo:
Then you'll want to turn a box for the jewellery and you find that mayby a hollowing tool is the way to go.
Maybe the wife would like a bowl for the table, a bit bit bigger than a peanut bowl, so you need a slightly bigger lathe, a Stubby 1000 perhaps.
Processing the timber for the lathe graduates from handsaw to Bunnings14" chainsaw to a Stihl 090 with 36" bar.
When the log has been delivered to the garage by Hiab Truck, the overhead gantry lifts it on the 36" Bandsaw for processing and you find that it's time to move as the 8mx8m garage is just too small for the tools.
Just saying you know, be careful with lathes:2tsup:
Seriously, join you local Guild, quickest way to get hands on tuition. The rest can be learnt here from the rest of us.
Cheers Ian

hughie
10th July 2012, 10:05 AM
Black Bear

OK first things first, it would be good if you could post a pic of the lathe. Then we can take from there as we have a lot of different lathes and owners who should be able to sort out your queries.

BobL
10th July 2012, 10:51 AM
Oh dear, did they not warn you about the Vortex?
After getting a drive spur and a live center, you will want a chuck.

Then you will want to get another chuck, then another, . . . . .

wheelinround
10th July 2012, 10:59 AM
BB Mid North Cast woodies meet I believe at the showground in Coffs as said go pay a visit.

As Hughie said post a photo of the lathe etc and we can help more.

I have a Jet Mini and now a Nova thats as far as I am going tools and chucks (6 in all now) well I am abstaining for now.:B

Just stay away from turning Pen's:;