PDA

View Full Version : Which wood for hot water

springwater
10th July 2012, 09:11 PM
What wood stands up to regular immersing in hot water best?

Toymaker Len
10th July 2012, 10:32 PM
Thats an interesting question. We have some old wooden spoons that have been in the dishwasher hundreds of times, four of them from giant bamboo, one of some european pale medium weight wood, a couple of african salad servers made of somthing like teak. All still in good condition. Also a couple of rolling pins, one of huon and one of crows ash, both washed in hot water and showing no deterioration. This makes me think that there are probably lots of timbers that are fine with hot washing. I do have a muddler that turned up last chrismas made of european beech and it is already split so no recomendation there.

springwater
11th July 2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks Len

GraemeCook
12th July 2012, 05:18 PM
We recently decommissioned Huon pine laundry troughs that were installed in 1909 and used continuously for almost 100 years. No adverse effects from either hot or cold water.

Naturally, I salvaged the timber - where else can one get 450 x 30 mm Huon - and the wood was virtually faultless except for staining around the nail holes. Yep, the troughs were nailed together.

Cheers

Graeme

springwater
12th July 2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks Graeme, wow what a prize! Can't help but think that Huon used for laundry troughs is some sort of wrong doing. Surely there was some more sophisticated joinery than just nailing such a relic together to form a trough?

Ok, I've got some Huon and Teak but I wonder also about Mahogany, seems some of the great boat building timbers are rising to the surface.

whitewood
13th July 2012, 09:28 AM
"Which wood for hot water
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f0e9d0; COLOR: #f0e9d0" SIZE=1>What wood stands up to regular immersing in hot water best? "

What are you building with the timber. It would help if we knew. If it is a hot tub then the Japanese use Paulownia to good purpose.

Whitewood

GraemeCook
13th July 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks Graeme, wow what a prize! Can't help but think that Huon used for laundry troughs is some sort of wrong doing. Surely there was some more sophisticated joinery than just nailing such a relic together to form a trough?

Ok, I've got some Huon and Teak but I wonder also about Mahogany, seems some of the great boat building timbers are rising to the surface.

Nope, just 5mm rebates and 75 mm nails. Twin laundry troughs in Huon were ubiquitous in Tas until late last century.

Cheers

Graeme

springwater
13th July 2012, 08:43 PM
"Which wood for hot water
<hr style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f0e9d0; COLOR: #f0e9d0" size="1">What wood stands up to regular immersing in hot water best? "

What are you building with the timber. It would help if we knew. If it is a hot tub then the Japanese use Paulownia to good purpose.

Whitewood

Just a set of tea spoons for presents.

Nope, just 5mm rebates and 75 mm nails. Twin laundry troughs in Huon were ubiquitous in Tas until late last century.

Cheers

Graeme

Great stuff, love it, got any pics please?

GraemeCook
13th July 2012, 10:04 PM
Great stuff, love it, got any pics please?

Sorry, I just salvaged the timber and used it as the need arose. Also had two big holes in the bottom where the brass drain pipes went. As virtually every house here had a set - usually double, sometimes triple, rarely single troughs - I did not think they were particularly special until I partly dismantled them and realised how good the timber was.

Try googling "Huon laundry troughs" - You should get heaps of hits.

Fair Winds

Graeme

springwater
14th July 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Graeme, I searched using Google and had a quick look, seemed that Huon laundry troughs are still a Real Estate feature :rolleyes: I considered the following pic close to what you explained the troughs to be like:
That is some serious Huon, still amazed that the construction is water tight.

GraemeCook
14th July 2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks Graeme, I searched using Google and had a quick look, seemed that Huon laundry troughs are still a Real Estate feature :rolleyes: I considered the following pic close to what you explained the troughs to be like:
That is some serious Huon, still amazed that the construction is water tight.

Yep, That's exactly like mine were like - those planks are full width. As far as I could tell no caulking was use in the joins, just accurate cutting and those big nails. And it was used continuously for 90 years without leaking - or at least, not since 1956 when the family bought the house.

Cheers

Graeme

tea lady
14th July 2012, 06:36 PM
Wouldwood has a couple of wooden pltes trhat go through the dish washer all the time. Can't remember what wood they are though? Ask Him I guess. :yell: "wouldwood!"

GraemeCook
15th July 2012, 05:09 PM
Wouldwood has a couple of wooden pltes trhat go through the dish washer all the time. Can't remember what wood they are though? Ask Him I guess. :yell: "wouldwood!"

We have teak plates and bowls that we bought in Manilla in 1973 that regularly went through the dishwasher - we presently do not use one - just a light oiling with cooking oil every year or so keeps the grain vibrant.

Fair Winds

Graeme

springwater
16th July 2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah it'll be Teak, I've got some Teak, get this, my brothers' Teak table was too long to fit so he cut 80 cm off it and gave it to me, he is dynamic, anyway tl, want some Teak to go in your dishwasher?

springwater
19th July 2012, 09:51 PM
Ok, I can see you don't want the Teak