PDA

View Full Version : 1st Attempt (Winged Lidded Box)

Skewturn
11th July 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi All
This is my first go at a winged box. There is no finish yet I will probably danish oil it.
It was very nerve racking ,just that prop noise it makes but I had a great time shaping it and I dont think its to bad. Very simple though, next one I will go a bit thinner and make a finial for the top. The timber is english oak body and a jarrah lid which was just some off cuts I had lying around. I hop you like and comments or advice would be good.
Cheers Skewturn

Ps sorry about picture size, :doh:I cant seem to shrink it.

dr4g0nfly
11th July 2012, 10:36 PM
So that's another learning curve started then!

Well done, the first one (to half dozen) can be a bit nerve racking especially near the knuckles.

I see you've discovered the tooling problem of turning mostly free space and the resulting tool marks on the underside - I recomend power sanding off the lathe (no one will know).

Pop up a picture when you've finished it please.

Ad de Crom
11th July 2012, 11:13 PM
Very pretty, and that for the first time, nerve wracking job for sure.
How are your knuckles.....)))
Ad :2tsup:

powderpost
11th July 2012, 11:20 PM
I would recommend you glue something like a pine to the edges of the blank to complete the circle and cut the pine off when the turning is finished. Not nearly so nerve racking that way.
Jim

wood hacker
12th July 2012, 12:05 AM
Nice for a first go. I have not yet had a go at it but have watched this (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F5003CDBECC3595B) series a number of times to get hints. Now I just have to pluck up the courage to have a go.

turnerted
12th July 2012, 05:20 PM
A good first effort.
The next one would look better I think, if there was a more gradual transition from the top top surface to the "legs"
Ted

smiife
12th July 2012, 08:27 PM
hi skew,
nice job mate,a lot of air turning there :o:o:o:o
well done for the first attempt,great job!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend you glue something like a pine to the edges of the blank to complete the circle and cut the pine off when the turning is finished. Not nearly so nerve racking that way.
Jim

:aro-u::aro-u::aro-u: not sure how to do this quote thingy but that is a great idea powderpost
i might try that myself :;:;
can't wait to see it finished
cheers smiife:2tsup:

rodent
15th July 2012, 12:37 PM
No red stains i see that's good , it's that propeller sound that gets me worried .

artme
15th July 2012, 02:28 PM
Good one!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Skewturn
15th July 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all your great comments and I will put pictures up when its finished
Cheers Skewturn