PDA

View Full Version : veneer substrates

Lenz
14th July 2012, 10:26 AM
i have a lovely sheet of birds eye huon pine id like to use.
and also a sheet of 3mm MDF

will the mdf work fine to take the veneer? or is a ply wood a better option?

mic-d
14th July 2012, 11:05 AM
i have a lovely sheet of birds eye huon pine id like to use.
and also a sheet of 3mm MDF

will the mdf work fine to take the veneer? or is a ply wood a better option?

It depends on where you will use the veneered material. If it's to be used as a glued-in inlay, then mdf will be fine and you don't need to balance with a backer veneer since you will be gluing it down. If you want to make a veneered box, just make the box in whatever material of suitable thickness you please and then veneer it. You don't have to veneer the inside to balance it, the box construction will stabilize the boards and you can treat the inside in any way you wish, eg leather, flock, paper, just finish etc... If you give a few more details about how you want to use it, I can give more detailed answers.

Lenz
14th July 2012, 02:02 PM
I'm think of veneering both sides of the MDF so it appears to be solid timber, and use as a lid panel for a small box.

mic-d
14th July 2012, 02:25 PM
THe mdf will be fine for a panel like that, in some ways better than ply if the surface plies carry any imperfections that might telescope through the veneer. What glue are you going to use and how are you going to do it?

Lenz
14th July 2012, 02:27 PM
Probably just titebond and clamp between 2 flat sheets of ply/mdf. It will be no bigger than 200x200

mic-d
14th July 2012, 02:59 PM
Make sure you spread the glue evenly on all surfaces with a notched spreader or a roller. and veneer both sides at the one time.

rodney
21st July 2012, 12:05 AM
Huon Pine has a lot of oils in it which is why it keeps that lovely smell for so long.

You need to wipe down the side you are gluing to the substrate with some metho so as to remove the oils and provide a better glue up.

Cheers
Rodney

katbobkat
21st July 2012, 07:49 PM
Rodney is totally right.
"You need to wipe down the side you are gluing to the substrate with some metho so as to remove the oils and provide a better glue up."

I wish I have followed that before I glued a 2 meters high marquetry piece containing Huon Pine. Every, but every piece of Huon jumped off.:(( No kidding, it was a nightmare. Then I gave up the rescue mission, now I have a good story to tell.

good luck
katbobkat

mn pete
31st July 2012, 08:21 AM
I just did this not long ago. I veneered both sides of the MDF panel. When I only did one side it turned into a potato chip!

Here's all the gory details... Second Wind Workshop: First Veneered Panels (http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2012/06/first-veneered-panels.html)

I'll be using these panels in box lids and want both sides to show veneer.

katbobkat
31st July 2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Pete,
I really enjoyed your journey into the veneering world.:2tsup:

Two comments: It is also important to dry the panels like solid timber: air all around, otherwise it will turn to potato chips again.
Also when you are gluing up, the pressure needs to start in the middle of the board to push out the glue. Clamps all around traps the glue. The thinner the glue the better the bond. Of course I am talking about long term; years, decades.
Where did you get your beautiful veneers? If I may ask?

cheers