PDA

View Full Version : WOP wip

hughie
14th July 2012, 05:49 PM
This might be better in the finishing section. But the method I use is for wood turned objects and hopefully it will be apparent as I go along.

I have had a few friends struggle with WOP and getting it work properly, gloss or satin and one suggested I do a write up on the forum.

At this time of year WOP has habit of not going off or having a poor shine and finish. I have worked up this method after several failures and re-runs

First is finish on the raw timber. I buff my turnings with EEE or similar to high finish.The higher the finish here, will have a direct result to the final finish. A good finish here will save a lot of rubbing down later. I rarely rub down between WOP coats.
Then seal it with whatever your favourite sealer is. It may require a further buffing. I use DO 1-2 coats, in very damp weather this may need over night to go off thorughly,or place in a warm spot. I prefer the warm spot as I tend to be impatient at this stage.
Shake the can vigorously, this stuff settles out. Dont find the hard way like I did.:)
Warm the entire can up to around blood heat, 5minutes in the sun should do it, or in front of a heater rotating the can a couple of times to ensure an even heat.
Apply as usual with a lint free pad, go over it once. Dont be temped to go around it several times you will probably get runs and or wipe marks. I use thin coats and prefer to build it up that way.
Place the job in a warm environment, say around 30'C especially in winter or when its raining. If its raining cats and dogs you may have to warm the job as well to remove any moisture coating. You can use higher temps but some timber may react to the higher temps [ 40'C+ ] so I go for around 30-35'C.
For a warm spot come winter I have used a inverted cardboard box over the job with a small incandescent light bulb 15-25watts. If you use WOP allot on many turned objects, then an old fridge is the way to go with 45watt bulb in the bottom and a few holes punched in the top.
I like to preheat the box to speed the process up and if the job needs warming it can go in at this time as well. In the course of 2-3 hours you can get two coats of WOP on dried and hard with this method.

Both pieces bellow were done with this method.

Ad de Crom
14th July 2012, 06:50 PM
Well you have a lot to do to achieve this result, good of you to do these on to write, always nice to share this with us.
The result is stunning.
Ad :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
14th July 2012, 07:02 PM
Hughie, Always good when some-one shares their hard won knowledge.

Much appreciated,

I'm sure this information could be useful in many places.

wheelinround
14th July 2012, 07:05 PM
:2tsup: so I can come back n read later

torchwood
14th July 2012, 08:43 PM
What is this thing called Wop ?

Jim Carroll
14th July 2012, 08:44 PM
What is this thing called Wop ?

Minwax Wipe On Poly (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/-minwax)

torchwood
14th July 2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Jim

Scott
14th July 2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info Hughie, much appreciated. How many coats of WOP do you do?

dai sensei
15th July 2012, 11:33 AM
I know it is not the done thing for blokes here in Aus, but the other alternative is to tell people to read the instructions, they are on the mark :U

Thunder54
15th July 2012, 11:40 AM
As they say in the classics -RTFM..Read The Manual!

hughie
15th July 2012, 05:13 PM
[ much appreciated. How many coats of WOP do you do

Depends on what you want. On the images I posted 4+6 coats respectively. But I have had good results with 2 coats, especially when using some sort of warming box or similar.

Or in my tin shed in the middle of summer :2tsup: by far the best.

I know it is not the done thing for blokes here in Aus, but the other alternative is to tell people to read the instructions, they are on the mark

Rats you just ruined a good WIP :U

Jim Carroll
15th July 2012, 09:37 PM
It is with grateful thanks to Hughie aka Neil Mackay we have now included his instructions on the application of the Minwax Wipe on Poly to our web site for others to use as a guide to a better finish.
Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies Finishes Minwax Wipe On Poly (http://cws.au.com/shop/category/-minwax) :2tsup: