PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at the office

Grizz
9th March 2005, 03:55 PM
Just me again,
I was turning some stuff the other day and had one of those days when I just should have stayed in bed. Broke three items in a row. 1st was a small lidded box the top of which decided to break when I was cutting off the finial. 2nd was a platter that I'd made from 2 pieces of wood when the glue decided that it didn't want to play anymore and 3rd, a platter with a pedestal that not only decided to break on the glue joint but, after the fact, I realised that I'd stuffed up the base by turning the outside of the pedestal shorter than the spigot I was using to hold it in the chuck :o. I suppose that others have had similar experiences, but three in one day?

Grizz

ptc
9th March 2005, 04:58 PM
Been there done that!
I give it away on the first c--- -p!

DavidG
9th March 2005, 07:35 PM
Sounds like a good day to get the bottle out the cupboard and ..........

Gingermick
9th March 2005, 10:02 PM
That is the perfect opportunity to practice your anti stress techniques.

I'm lucky, I get to practice them every time I go within 2 feet of my lathe.

mick

gatiep
10th March 2005, 02:15 AM
Sounds like your anti stress techniques as above and a change in the glue that you use and your laminating techniques. Two lots of glue tell me there is something more wrong than a bad day at the office if you get what I mean......check that glue, maybe its gone off and the next thing that comes appart may make todays problems look like a picnic. Good glue, PVA, Titebond, Epoxy, CA, Hide glue or any other woodglue should not give up playing the game while turning. Even good quality hotmelt works very well.

Well I hope you have a better day when next turning, but most important have fun!
Cya mate
:)